Popular Tags: [View All]
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ken, George, Derk and then Ken, George, John, Tim, Derk

Ken’s birthday is June 14th. And I had bought a copy of Ricochet Robot as a present because I knew Ken would love this game. After giving the gift, I was hoping that he’d have a freakish accident on the way home which would take the life of the game but leave the rest of his person and SUV intact. I’d ever intentionally wish ill on Ken, but I wasn’t exactly thrilled about playing this game. The initial reaction to the game labeled it a puzzle game with an emphasis on quick wits. And that’s exactly the kind of game that Ken’s brilliant. And that makes a game considerably less appealing to me. However the Gaming Antichrist, George, wanted to play the game, so we brought out Ken’s copy.

After going through the sparse rules, the game started. For some reason, I was able to grab an early lead. Ken tossed a couple "I told you so" looks across the table. But I knew the game was far from over. Once Ken and George both got the gist of the game, it went fast. George seemed to have the really short, quick routes down; while Ken was mastering the longer, complicated routes. But in the end George was able to take the victory.

George: 6 chips, Ken: 5 chips, Derk: 5 chips

After the Civilization game George, Tim, John, Ken and I played again. Ken ended up winning the first one, and took a commanding lead in the second one. I really wasn’t watching the first game, but I could hear the groans when either Ken or George took a chip. John and Tim both were looking confused in the early game. But on the second game, I think they both got at least one chip, and I think Tim got a couple. I took a couple, three chips at the end of the game, but Ken was picking up several chips with bids of 17 and 26. And Ken coasted to the win, with a score of at least 7 chips.

<em>John: I’d rate this one somewhere between 1 and 8. "What the hell?" you might be saying at this point. The first time I played this game I was just clueless, it being a game that challenges primarily one's spatial and three-dimensional visualization. Now I am not completely spatially challenged, but I am a liberal arts major, so it just doesn't play to my strength. Nevertheless, each time I have played (four times in all) I have enjoyed the challenge a bit more, although I have only become marginally more proficient at it. The last time I enjoyed playing purely for the mental challenge and I would gladly choose it to fill 30 minutes or so. So I give it a 1 since I have virtually no potential for victory, but 8 for the enjoyment of the challenge it provides.

Tim: Fun, quick puzzle-like game. Rating: 5</em>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.