Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle O'Connor
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just received our first shipment of games today in the mail. They included the following games: Carcassonne Traders & Builders and Princess and Dragon, Ticket to Ride, Warcraft, For Sale, Cartagena, Pick Picknic, Balloon Cup and Alhambra. Up until today, the only Eurogame that we had tried was Carcassonne (plus river exp, Inns & Cathedrals, & the Count). We really enjoy playing Carcassonne and were looking forward to trying the other games.

My wife and I played T&B with the Inns & Cathedrals exp as the only other addition.

First Time Set up and Reading Directions
It wasn't hard to figure out the new rules. 5 mins tops

Game Play
Game play is generally the same. If you place your pig piece on your farm you score 5 pts per city vice 4. When you play the Builder piece on either your road or city you get an additional turn every time you expand upon that road or city. Once the road/city is closed out then you get the piece back. There are new tiles with supplies depicted in the cities (barrels, wheat, and cloth) If you close a city you get a marker for any supplies in that city (doesn't have to be your city)

Winning the Game
Same basic scoring. As previously mentioned addition of the pig on a farm nets an extra pt each city. Players get 10 extra points for having the most supply makers. 10 pts for most barrels, wheat, cloth, etc.

Player Interaction
Same as with original version

Game Time
Took us about an hour to play two player.

Final Score
My wife ended up connecting one extra farmer on the huge farm that was built and took the 65 points instead of having to share. Final score was wife - 215, me - 170. for her, cryfor me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might seem like a daft question, but 5 points instead of 4 for placing a pig? Is that a difference between the German rules and the English-language rules? In the German rules (which I'm using since I live in Germany), a pig gets you 4 points instead of 3. I'm in no way implying that you played wrongly or anything, just curious about whether (and why) there is such a difference. I mean, I thought the farms were already powerful enough worth 3 points… meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle O'Connor
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I double checked....our directions (Rio Grande Games 2000 version) says each farm gets 4 points and the traders and builders says 5 points with the pig. Don't know why the disparity in scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I agree on the scoring of the pig.

By the way, we've been thinking an interesting variant when the dragon and princess expansion is added to this one: Seems to me the dragon would very much enjoy eating a pig.

Another variant we sometimes do is to not use the little cloth, wheat, etc markes and ignore those when scoring.

As we add expansion packs to our Carcassonne collection one thing we do notice is that the games get longer just because of all the additional tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played T&B (first time ever), I&C, and K&S.

Needless to say it didn't go so well. Without trying too hard, I won 330 - 180 .

I think she may play Carc again with me sometime later...hopefully not too much later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle O'Connor
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think that the Count is a good expansion. I think it levels out the playing field a little for those that have a hard time envisioning where to play farms. [We usually get the most points from farms during a game.] If a person completes a road, city cloister, etc for the other player and gets no points in the action they can place a follower in the town center in one of the four zones that corresponds to roads, citys, etc. Whenever a city, road etc is completed, before the feature gets scored, players with followers int he town center are able to transfer their follower to that feature and share/steal points. It's not quite as difficult as it sounds. Example. I complete your road and you get 3 points. I put a follower in the town center zone corresponding to cities. Next turn you complete one of your cities, before the points are awarded I have the option to put my follower in your city. So we either share the points, or if we both had a follower in the city I would end up stealing it from you because now I would have two followers. Clear as mud now?

Anyways, if one person is not good at getting farms, they can close out your features and put players in the town center farm zone and share or steal your farming points at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I double-checked my rules from Hans-Im-Glück (2002), and on their web-site. Both confirm what I said: a farm scores 3 points, a pig scores 4. They also had a pdf - in German - (click here of the original (2000) rules for comparison. In these a farm did indeed score 4 points. There's the explanation. Some time before 2002 (when I started playing) the rules changed to make farms score less, because I could imagine that a 5-point-scoring pig could extremely unbalance the end of the game. If you end up find the same, you might consider moving to the newer rule.

What would really have confused me would have been the reverse: the rules changing to have farms and pigs scoring more. We often find that the second half to final third of the game becomes an epic battle for the farms in any case, and scoring still more? Well… Anyway, the world is now in order again, and I can safely step outside and face the new day… ::

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.