Subject: dont like pr..will i like this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
i dont like Puerto rico...would ienjoy this? PR has too much thinking, too long to set up, and kinda boring, not much action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to say. E&T sets up quickly, has a lot of action, but takes a lot of thinking to play well. So it meets two of your three criteria. Puerto Rico and E&T feel very different to me. In Puerto Rico, the interaction with your opponents is indirect, while in E&T it's direct; you start a war against a neighboring kingdom or initiate a revolution within a single kingdom to take over an office. I'd say the fact that you dislike Puerto Rico is no reason to believe you won't like E&T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
T&E has more direct player interaction kind of action, at least as much thinking, and less set up time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
oboman2002 wrote:
i dont like Puerto rico...would ienjoy this? PR has too much thinking, too long to set up, and kinda boring, not much action

Try it out for free here on the Geek. I would be willing to play a game with you if you want to learn how. I'm not that good yet, but I LOVE the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
oboman2002 wrote:
...PR has too much thinking...

I second the comment to try it out here. However I guessing the answer would be "probably not".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
i just hope its not too complex as we found PR to be overwhelming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
oboman2002 wrote:
i just hope its not too complex as we found PR to be overwhelming

That all depends. Which particular aspects of Puerto Rico do you find to be overwhelming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say. The setup is easier in T&E, but there's as much, if not more, thinkin' to do. It's a complex game, but it's so completely different from PR that it's hard to compare. It's a lot more action packed with the conflicts, so maybe you'd like that. The things you have to think about are a lot more visual in T&E too, so maybe that would help. Then again, maybe not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Puerto Rico and just got T&E yesterday. I love games with lots of thinking but I think the indirect player interaction makes me a little cold to PR. I still like it and am always down for a game, but I don't have that "oh my god I HAVE to play this game soon!!!" feeling with it. T&E on the other hand was a total blast after my first three player play last night. Both deep games, but maybe I just like throwing down catastrophes and taking over other people's kingdoms better than carefully planning out the best times to produce goods. I will say this, I read the rulebook most of the day and only had a vague idea how to play, but once we finally started to play it was pretty intuitive. Easy to grasp concepts that are hard to explain in the rulebook.

Anyway, bottom line, they are very different games in my mind (though both require a lot of thinkin').

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
oboman2002 wrote:
[W]e found PR to be overwhelming[...]

T&E is very different. Many players find PR overwhelming because it takes quite a bit of play experience to sort out what the interactions and trade-offs among the various courses of action (both tactically and strategically) are. T&E has much less of this. The choices are still hard, but it is considerably easier to sort out what the consequences are. T&E is also a more "spatial" game, so if you are a spatial or visual thinker, it's that much easier to get what's going on, in contrast with PR, where the interactions are entirely economic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another recomenndation to try it out.

The complication in Puerto Rico stems from the many special rules created by the buildings and roles, the money/points break up and so on. In Euphrat & Tigris there is much less of this so the game is simpler in that respect, but there is more you can do with your turn to change the board, so more thinking there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there even any relation between the two games at all? I don't think so.

With PR, "go with the flow" style of play is possible, but T&E is a definitely a thinking game.

IF you're into deeper, abstract strategy games like Chess or Go, T&E could definitely be your thing. Even if you don't like those, you might still enjoy T&E. Absolutely give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.