Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Stoddard
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
Awesome, thanks Donald!

I wonder how we'll rework out house rule to work with Nomad Camp... we've been playing that you can choose your opening split; whether you want 3/4 or 2/5. But when we play this, we don't even shuffle our initial deck or draw our initial hands. So with Nomad Camp... maybe you are allowed to choose Nomad Camp first, and then up to a 5-cost card second... but if you do, you have to start your third hand with an estate (because that's what would happen if you actually drew Nomad Camp + 3 copper in your second hand)?
Allow each player to put his starting deck in whatever order he wishes, then play out the opening turns as normal? That's the only way I can think of that doesn't involve calculations and caveats on how the Nomad Camp purchase plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
ghorsche wrote:
Minor thing, it just occurred to me that Fool's Gold is the first reaction card that reacts by a mechanism other than "revealing".
No, Horse Traders was the first such card.
Haha, duh! Oops whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Z
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
... Fool's Gold on isotropic says "when another player buys a Province" while the one posted by Donald says gains. Does it still work correctly on isotropic?
Oops, yeah, I seem to have an older version of the card. Will fix it tonight or over the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first reaction to Nomad Camp was, "How does putting Woodcutter immediately onto your deck make it worth more?" But now that I see how effective it can be early game, I love it. This is the first card that can actually alter your initial split. Definitely worth a first buy with any good 5s out (or Fool's Gold).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
spongyform wrote:
gf1024 wrote:
... Fool's Gold on isotropic says "when another player buys a Province" while the one posted by Donald says gains. Does it still work correctly on isotropic?
Oops, yeah, I seem to have an older version of the card. Will fix it tonight or over the weekend.
And the Traders being able to be revealed multiple times (indefinitely?) if desired? (See Previews #1 thread)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinkworks wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
Awesome, thanks Donald!

I wonder how we'll rework out house rule to work with Nomad Camp... we've been playing that you can choose your opening split; whether you want 3/4 or 2/5. But when we play this, we don't even shuffle our initial deck or draw our initial hands. So with Nomad Camp... maybe you are allowed to choose Nomad Camp first, and then up to a 5-cost card second... but if you do, you have to start your third hand with an estate (because that's what would happen if you actually drew Nomad Camp + 3 copper in your second hand)?
Allow each player to put his starting deck in whatever order he wishes, then play out the opening turns as normal? That's the only way I can think of that doesn't involve calculations and caveats on how the Nomad Camp purchase plays out.
Good call. It will add a little time to the very start of the game; but it does make sense. Also, I figure that if a player is planning on opening Nomad; then they are almost always going to want to order things so that they can get Nomad and then a 5-cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I like keeping it random. It makes the intro of the game exciting rather than calculated. I like skill games, but even if you don't get the optimal opening and someone else does, you can still catch up. Just my 2 cents. If I cared about tournament play (which I do not), then I might have a different opinion. But since I'm more experienced than most people I play, I like them having a chance to "leap ahead".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MooseyFate wrote:
I like keeping it random. It makes the intro of the game exciting rather than calculated. I like skill games, but even if you don't get the optimal opening and someone else does, you can still catch up. Just my 2 cents. If I cared about tournament play (which I do not), then I might have a different opinion. But since I'm more experienced than most people I play, I like them having a chance to "leap ahead".
I play both ways, but I slightly prefer choosing your own opening, mostly because it's one more skill that you can bring to the game... the skill of deciding if 5/2 is better on this particular board. And on certain boards (maybe Chapel / Festival or something), if one player hits 5/2 and the other doesn't, it can be too unfair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
MooseyFate wrote:
I play both ways, but I slightly prefer choosing your own opening, mostly because it's one more skill that you can bring to the game... the skill of deciding if 5/2 is better on this particular board. And on certain boards (maybe Chapel / Festival or something), if one player hits 5/2 and the other doesn't, it can be too unfair.

With immediate cards like this one available I will continue to prefer random. One my friends prefers to (upon certain kingdom layouts) standardize the split amongst everyone. So if someone starts with 2/5 then everyone gets 2/5 or 5/2. Now though I think I will insist that we play regular, especially if some Hinterlands is out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
One complaint I have about Dominion, is that certain kingdom setups, when all players are good, have one obvious optimal build route. The way of choosing your starting hand, or arranging your starting deck makes it more to the point that everyone will just choose the same thing.

That being said, not all games are obvious, and sometimes an non-obvious solution works better than the obvious. Also, though I have this complaint, Dominion is one of my top 5 games, so it's not something that makes me dislike the game by any means.

EDIT: Here's a thought. Instead of arranging your own deck, arrange the other players decks. A thought is all this is, I still theoretically like random, but I may give both deck organization methods a try.

Also, if you are organizing the initial "split", you should go all out and organize all cards. Cause a 4/3 split with copper being the 10th card is different than a 4/3 split with and estate being the 10th card (when Nomad Camp is available).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bpp complete
msg tools
Beaveman wrote:
spongyform wrote:
gf1024 wrote:
And the Traders being able to be revealed multiple times (indefinitely?) if desired? (See Previews #1 thread)
Uh, that's correct behavior...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate M
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bppcomplete wrote:
Beaveman wrote:
spongyform wrote:
gf1024 wrote:
Yeah, it happens with moat and secret chamber also. You just have to not reveal to continue with the game. It's clumsy, but there's not really a way around it due to special cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Costello
msg tools
WallyNate wrote:
Yeah, it happens with moat and secret chamber also. You just have to not reveal to continue with the game. It's clumsy, but there's not really a way around it due to special cases.
In person its a total non-issue. The game rules can't stop someone if they're going to essentially stop playing.

Its a slight issue online, since you'd like to prevent someone from abusing it. Does anyone know if the inactivity timer still goes while someone is repeatedly using reactions (whether its trader, moat, or secret chamber)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
WallyNate wrote:
bppcomplete wrote:
Beaveman wrote:
spongyform wrote:
gf1024 wrote:
No - with Moat, they implemented a feature where if Moat gets revealed a second time, it tells you that you don't need to reveal it anymore. If you reveal it a few more times, it actually makes you forfeit the game. I don't know if the same feature applies to Secret Chamber.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Whaleyland wrote:
Any way we can get a high-res copy of the new icon? It looks like a bridled horse but I can't quite tell because the card images are slightly too small to enlarge properly. I'd love the image also for use in my next rules edition which is in the works.
I do not have a higher quality version of the horse, and in fact the version I have has a bug (some extra black pixels) that only appeared in the small .pdf but which probably isn't visible unless you see it larger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to play a King's Court + Adventurer + Fool's Gold combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
HomerJr wrote:
Can't wait to play a King's Court + Adventurer + Fool's Gold combo.
Do you want buys with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like any competent player would ever let you get more than 6 Fool's Golds anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
badge
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice previews!!!

I think Fool's Gold add a lot of randomness to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit, when this page popped up in my subscriptions, the big old picture of a Fool's Gold card made me think this was yet another fan variant! I had to check and make sure who the poster really was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Maybe that just means you should pay more head to fan variants that initially sound screwy. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, more the point is that it seems like every single batch of fan cards has to include some form of fool's gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:
Like any competent player would ever let you get more than 6 Fool's Golds anyway.
I won a game today where somebody bought the whole pile. It's a good card in the right circumstances but if you blindly snatch them up every time they appear I will be happy to ignore you and let you do that on a wide range of boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mail Mi
msg tools
Anybody notice that on Isotropic, when someone trashes Fool's Gold because someone else bought a Province, it says: "Player games a Gold on the deck" TYPO! games shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teddy Winand
United States
Lincoln Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize how helpful the reaction part of fool's gold is! So excited for this expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |