Mosse Stenström
Finland
Porvoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
World in War Session report

My younger brother Jens brought a friend of ours, Johan over for some gaming. We wanted to try out WiW with three players, and Jens was keen on showing Bonaparte at Marengo to his friend. So we set up the board for a reinactment of WWII in my kitchen.

The generals
The Soviet Union - general Johan
The Axis Powers - general Mosse
The Wester Allied - general Jens

Game on!

Germany advances
It has become clear to me in previous games, that in order for the Axis forces to survive, they must expand rapidly during the beginning of the game. I immediately set my eyes on Paris. The Axis eastern front invaded Warzaw and the western front went on a full assault on Rotterdam and Copenhagen, taking Paris on the next turn. The problem, however, was that because I had left the heart of Germany almost unoccupied, general Jens was able to make some successful air bombing tours, taking out my troops in Copenhagen and Kiel. He could of course not occupy these territories with planes alone, but I missed some very much needed reinforcements.

Soviet troops attacks Berlin
My troops in Paris held position all the way to game-end, but my eastern front was crumbling, as general Johan made some advancements, taking Warzaw into Soviet hands. The Soviet Union also tried an assault on Berlin, but failed. General Jens had landed quite a few troops on south Italy, and was making an attempt to take Milan, overpowering me almost three to one. But he rolled a 1 twice in a row, and I was able to give him a good whooping, sending him back in shame.

The fall of Berlin
Soviet general Johan had reinforced his troops and made another run on the war-torn Berlin, taking it by force and securing the victory for the good guys.

Final tally
The Soviet Union (Johan) - 14 production points.
The Axis Powers (Mosse) - 13 production points combined.
The Western Allies (Jens) - 10 production points (24 combined)

Verdict
All three generals enjoyed the game, and the ingenious battle system got most of the praise. I think it is most difficult playing the Axis troops, as the need to be very aggressive, whereas the allied troops can afford to be a bit more careful, at least in the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jepson
Sweden
Arsta
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Mosse, you can not attack an area at land without tanks or infantry, therefore "airbombing" is not possible. If you correct this little error you will see that the germans will be much easier to win with.
I enjoyed your session report and wish you best of luck the next time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mosse Stenström
Finland
Porvoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jepson wrote:
Mosse, you can not attack an area at land without tanks or infantry, therefore "airbombing" is not possible. If you correct this little error you will see that the germans will be much easier to win with.
I enjoyed your session report and wish you best of luck the next time around.

OK. We will correct this misinterpretation of the rules for our next game.

I don't see it as a big problem though - these air raids - as they can be easily avoided by keeping an artillery piece in each territory.

The airbombings are like mosquitos - as long as you're prepared for them, they are irritating at most, not harmful.

Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.