Vince Londini
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

Back in February, I found BoardGameGeek as the result of a Google Search.

I was looking for the correct spelling of the word "hexes" for the rules to one of my stalled design projects (that day it just looked funny to me, you know how that is sometimes...). I found a link to a list of "Games that Use Big Hexes" or something like that, clicked on it...and I was hooked. BGG has become my immediate reference for all matters board-gaming, and I quickly began enjoying contributing to the content.

About 10-days ago I succumbed to the "everyone is doing it" syndrome and posted my own "thrift-store" geeklist. Sure, it got panned in the ratings, I expected that. What I didn't expect was a private message yesterday from someone else who just found the Geek.

This newuser was browsing the web for a copy of the rules to National Geographic's Mystery Voyage Game. I had just Geeklisted that title in my thrift store finds. So, this person discovered the geeklist and asked for an explanation of the rules. Rules I was able to explain because I'd just picked the game up 7-days ago, myself.

So, there's the power of the Geek. Putting gamers in contact with gamers who can help each other!

Just thought I'd share that. Sorry if you were expecting a love-story or something!
Vince

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Similarly...Find and out-of-print game here, buy it, ask a question about the rules, and have the game designer himself reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is indeed an incredibly "close" community for being so enormous, where you're likely to find an answer to just about any game-related question, or a user who's seen just about any obscure title. It's amazing how broad a knowledge base BGG has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vince Londini wrote:
I found a link to a list of "Games that Use Big Hexes" or something like that, clicked on it...and I was hooked.

Hey! That was my list (actually called "Games with *large* hexes for the board") - hexes, to me, being the "great" thing in boardgames... anyway, I am glad the power of hexes got you here and welcome to the community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Londini
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
"Games with *large* hexes for the board" - hexes, to me, being the "great" thing in boardgames... anyway, I am glad the power of hexes got you here and welcome to the community.

Hey Gamesbook,

That was IT! And it mentioned Settlers, which I bought directly from Mayfair from their website in about 2000, having seen it a couple of times and wondered what it was all about (I was strictly a crayon rails gamer at that point). So, here I am wandering the web, and I find your list of games, including a title we enjoy, and then discovered it was part of this HUGE database...the rest is history!

Oh, and another illustration of the power of the Geek. In connection with my original post in this thread, I was searching for other sites about National Geographic's Mystery Voyage Game on Google. When I typed in the name BOARDGAMEGEEK's database entry was at the top of the Google-list, ahead of the company that made the game!

So, thanks, Derek! And thanks to Aldie and Derk and all the moderators and Admins for all the hard work to make this site THE AUTHORITY on boardgaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.