Popular Tags: [View All]
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
George, Ken, John, Neil, Drew, Derk

We needed something of moderate length to fill a couple hours for six players. Many various suggestions were made and discarded. And eventually we landed on this game. Ken, George and I had dabbled with this game before, but it’d had been a while. And Ken and I had the rules a little wrong (we didn’t have all the hub markers in the profit cup at the start of the game). After the three of us stumbled through the rules, we began.

The game started off fairly predictably, with each of us taking a turn or two to build up some money. Then one by one we entered fair wars and captured most of our own hubs. Once we’d all filled in all the available spokes, we started butting heads. The game took on a real cyclical nature, with groups of us going into fare wars to take over a couple spokes here or there and then out of fare wars to generate a little war chest for the next offensive.

The only exception to the flip-flop game we were playing was Drew. The poor guy just couldn’t catch a break, as hardly any of his profit chips were ever drawn during the game. John was in almost the same boat for most of the first half of the game. Ken on the other hand, seemed to have pretty damn good luck. He was earmarked as the game leader, and was beset upon on all sides. If Ken could just square away a couple more bucks, he could win the game outright. But several turns in a row, each of us everything we could to make sure that wouldn’t happen. I think I was the most successful, but my two spoke inroad was pretty miniscule at best. After almost two hours of constant attacking and counterattacking, we were all pretty tired of the game. It was very difficult to put together an actual winning combination. Eventually John needed to leave, so we said we’d call the game at the end of the next turn. He then proceeded to pummel me mercilessly into the ground and win in the process.

John: 239, Ken: 235, George: 157, Neil: 135, Drew: 118, Derk: 85

I think we’re gonna have a hard time trying to convince anyone to play this game again. Admittedly, there might be more depth and strategy with the advanced game (we played the basic game). But I’ve gotta think that Air Baron is not a good choice for six players. I’m thinking perhaps three to four. Otherwise losing an entire hub (not all that unlikely when competing against an opponent in fare wars) is huge when that’s most of your power base, as is the case in our six-player game.

<em>John: Too much damned luck - and does this freaking game EVER end??? Rating: 1

Drew: My experiences with the randomness of this game were not good. I think it suffers from the Big City problem, in that Big City sucks the more people you add to the game. With the advanced rules and some experience gained (and less than 5 players), I would be willing to give it one more try, but only if I have to. Rating: 4</em>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.