BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: TransAmerica or TransEuropa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a light filler game. TransAmerica seems to fill the bill.

But which is better (in fun, replay value), TransAmerica or TransEuropa? The comments I've read seem to suggest they are about equivalent. Is that true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
The rules are virtually identical. (The one change in TransEuropa should also be used in TransAmerica -- play until one player gets 0 points.) Other than this, the only difference is the maps.

However, the layout in TransEuropa results in a MUCH more luck-driven game than TransAmerica. This makes the game faster but the results much more random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Stangl
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who got Trans Europa only today, played it several times just out of zeal to understand where the fun is, I say either buy Trans America, or - better - spend your money on an actual game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have TransAmerica in my game collection. We play it in once in a while. Type of game to introduce board games to non-gamers. I was curious myself about TransEuropa.

I was wondering if TransEuropa is worth my money since I own TransAmerica. Havn't tried it yet.

Guess it could be the same question for those who has Ticket to Ride and are wondering if they should get Ticket to Ride Europe. In my case, I don't own both and don't plan getting either, but could get TransEuropa. Just not sure right now. At the moment, its a maybe. There are other games I want to get before TransEuropa if I ever do get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have pointed out, there is almost no difference between the games, save for the map.

Whether this results in mor luck or not is open to question. There are some terrible places on the new map, but the major chance effect in both games is having someone else going near your cities.

I got the new one because my Trans America cards were nealy worn out. Do not shuffle the cards in this game in seperate stacks as the rules state, just spread them all out on the board and let each player select one of each color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fail to see why people don't find this light game fun. It's certainly one of the best fillers that plays up to six people. It's a load of fun and you can get non-gamers into it easily. It's also good for teaching kids some very basic geography (or, at the very least, a bit about the lay of the land).

Just got TransEuropa this weekend and while I would say that TransAmerica is the one to own if you only get one, TransEuropa is fun for a change of pace if you are a regular player. That said, getting Madrid in TE is worse than getting Boston in TA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheylon wrote:
I fail to see why people don't find this light game fun.

Well, I don't hate the game by any means, but I did grow tired of it. I can't claim that there is no strategy because Terri can regularly kick my butt. I think that the strategy required does not come naturally to me and I began to lose interest before I starting the get the strategy.

I think the same is true for alot of people who don't like it, except that they don't have a frame of reference to demonstrate that there is strategy to this game, so they conclude that there isn't any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the looks of it, sounds that TransAmerica is the better of the two games. If that is the case, might as well forget about TransEuropa completely and focus on other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The kids and I are waiting for TransAnartica, the sixth in the expansion after Asia, Africa, Austrailia. Too bad there isn't an A name for Europe to keep the series abbreviation TA for all games. Perhaps there could be a South American one also. When the continents are finished, the larger islands could be used TransGreenland, TransMadagascar, TransCeylon, etc.

In the TransAnartic, we envision that the cards will represent penguins (Beaknose, Sharkbait, Fishbreath, etc.) from various penguin gangs (North Shore Squids, The Other North Shore Avians, Polar Butlers, etc.) Of course, while they may start separated as the tracks are built the destination penguins will migrate randomly, so everybody will have potentially moving targets that could move onto the tracks rather than waiting for the tracks to be built to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I joked about doing TransMiddle Earth (okay, so I actually drew out the map). Pretty easy to do anyplace, but getting the playtesting down so one or more cities are not unreasonable, that is the challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.