United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Jay from RGG for pointing this out in the German Rules thread, the English Rules are now online:

RGG Game Page: http://www.riograndegames.com/games.html?id=398
RGG Rules: http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_398_gameRule...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks real good! Can't wait to get this expansion!

Rulebook, page 4 wrote:
There is no limit to the decorations! If the decoration supply provided is exhausted, players can substitute with their own rings, chains, teeth, or other suitable items.
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Northburns wrote:
Looks real good! Can't wait to get this expansion!
Now I've had a proper chance to look through the rules (without resorting to Google translate and squinting), I must agree that this looks really interesting. I like how the trader mechanic is integrated into the gameplay. Really like the idea of some of the new huts.

My only criticism (and we would need to play the expansion a bit to see if it really is a problem) is that this might suffer from the same problem which the base game can have in that there might not be enough teeth/rings available (I am not keen on using other things to represent extra components). The base game suffers this problem with 4 players (the first printing anyway) in that resources often run out (especially wood) and you need to use other things to represent any extra resources (I think in the second printing the component quantity of the wood resource was increased slightly). I was able to purchase extra Stone Age resources (official parts, rather than the Mayday parts) to increase the resource count, but I hope that there is enough teeth/rings to cope with 5 players - the aforementioned resource problem might become a problem with 5 players.

Also, it looks as if the gameboard overlay will not fit into the base game box, as it seems to have a larger footprint than the box.

Edit: From the rulebook:
Quote:
What is new?
5 player expansion
Players can now play with up to 5 players. To support the 5th player, the expansion includes a player board, people and markers for the 5th player, and extra resources.
However, extra resources are not listed in the contents list on page 2 so I wonder if this is a mistake?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've spotted a discrepancy between the German and English rules:

German rulebook (page 5):
Quote:
Tauschregeln
Der Spieler darf...
- ...auch tauschen, wenn er diese Runde keine Personen auf den Ort Händler gesetzt hat.

Maybe some German geeks here can help translating this text. I personally translate as follows:

The player may...
- ... also trade if he did not place any figures on the trader place this round.

The English rules instead state:

Quote:
The player may...
...only trade if he did not place figures on the trader place this round.

This could make a huge difference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GabrielGeek wrote:

Quote:
Tauschregeln
Der Spieler darf...
- ...auch tauschen, wenn er diese Runde keine Personen auf den Ort Händler gesetzt hat.

Maybe some German geeks here can help translating this text. I personally translate as follows:

The player may...
- ... also trade if he did not place any figures on the trader place this round.

Quote:
The player may...

Isn't that the same? Both sets of rules are saying that you can not trade if you have placed any tribesmen on the trader spot during that round. The Trader spot is different from The Trade action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
GabrielGeek wrote:

Quote:
Tauschregeln
Der Spieler darf...

The player may...

Quote:
The player may...

Isn't that the same? Both sets of rules are saying that you can not trade if you have placed any tribesmen on the trader spot during that round. The Trader spot is different from The Trade action.

No, the German rules state you may also trade even if you didn't placed tribesmen on the trader spot during that round.

The English rules, on the other hand, state you can only trade if you didn't place men on that spot, which means that if you placed men on the trader you cannot trade!

The key difference here are the German word "auch" (= also) and the English word "only".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GabrielGeek wrote:
No, the German rules state you may also trade even if you didn't placed tribesmen on the trader spot during that round.

The English rules, on the other hand, state you can only trade if you didn't place men on that spot, which means that if you placed men on the trader you cannot trade!

The key difference here are the German word "auch" (= also) and the English word "only".
Yes, I see what you are saying. The problem occurs because there is not a clause in the German rules preventing trading when placing 2 tribesmen on the Trader. It could indeed make a big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
GabrielGeek wrote:

Yes, I see what you are saying. The problem occurs because there is not a clause in the German rules preventing trading when placing 2 tribesmen on the Trader. It could indeed make a big difference.
Reading the rules, one could think you need to place meeples on the trader if you want to trade. That is in my opinion the reason why the German rules make that clarification. I think the English sentence could just be a translation mistake, since it doesn't make much sense that if you place your men on the trader spot you cannot trade in that turn. Of course I could be wrong and could have misinterpreted the German wording... surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GabrielGeek wrote:
I think the English sentence could just be a translation mistake, since it doesn't make much sense that if you place your men on the trader spot you cannot trade in that turn. Of course I could be wrong and could have misinterpreted the German wording... surprise
Yes, of course. I see it now blush

Perhaps the English should be "...even trade if he did not place figures on the trader place this round."

You are right, it seems to make no sense that you can't trade if you place tribesmen on the Trader spot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules I promoted the game from "like to have" to "must have" ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have mixed feelings on this...

On the positive side, some of the new buildings look fun. The ones that allow you to get resources easier are neat.

On the negative side, I don't like the trader at all. It devalues gold and other hard to get resources. You can only use it once per turn, but turning 2 teeth or wood into gold is a bit much (not to mention 1:1 and 1:2 trades later on).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen any resource run out in a 4 player game. I must be playing differently than some of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age: Style Is the Goal rules wrote:
Please the new game board
on top of the original game

This is the most disturbing new rule to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaël Theunis
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Same... it's not going to be a cheap expansion, and I would have MUCH preferred to see an extra board (as with Cuba, Or pillars of the Earth), that would accommodate the spot for the extra card and the extra house... i'm kinda disappointed in this, so i'll wait and see before I buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
regulus wrote:
Quote:

Same... it's not going to be a cheap expansion, and I would have MUCH preferred to see an extra board (as with Cuba, Or pillars of the Earth), that would accommodate the spot for the extra card and the extra house... i'm kinda disappointed in this, so i'll wait and see before I buy.
You misunderstand me... please is a verb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Please the new game board" on page two is the biggest stand-out typo to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the trading mechanics quite disrupts the main struggle of the game. Normally when someone place a meeple on a hut that requires gold, and that player doesn't have any gold yet, there is a potential of blocking him.
Now it seems rather difficult to fail a hut.

Moreover, the wood gets even more powerful. Not just being the best resource for buying cards, it can also be traded into gold with the highest exchange yield.

However, adding a 5th player makes a huge difference and might as well compensate for the concerns above. An additional player would also be the above all best reason to buy the expansion.
Since there are still only 4 resources in the game, and no extra circles when gathering, the trading might be required after all. Otherwise it would simply be too difficult to get your resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
definatly looks good..im wondering if you could do away with the overlay and put it by the side of the board or just put the new bits on the board anyway...it would be a shame if the expansion wont fit in the main box..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules, this went from must have to not purchasing. It seems tacked on for the sake of having a fifth player. Instead of spending all this time on the expansion, they should have just made a new game. I'll pass. I mean come on...ANOTHER progression track? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very subjective feeling, I am not too impressed by the new features after reading the rule.

I like to make the original game to be 5P, but the decorations stuffs sound like they do not really fit the stone age theme.

Just my 2 cents...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I wonder how this will affect the starvation strategy.. It seems to enhance it, with less competition for the breeding hut by adding another village space, less competition for resources, as people place more men on hunting to gather decorations, and making huge stockpiles of wood even more versatile by with trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Stone Age: Style Is the Goal rules wrote:
Please the new game board
on top of the original game

I'm a little worried that I will need to laminate it if I want to avoid damage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Potter
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not overly thrilled after reading the rules. Having a 5th player is great, and I actually like those new huts, but the decorations and trading aspect just seem lazy. Pillars of the Earth has one of the best expansions I've seen (I'm sure others have their own), and it seems to be because they just took what was already there and allowed you to do more with it. They didn't add a new type of resource or include some off the wall idea, just different ways of acquiring the usual stuff. I'm not sure what Stone Age could have done differently, maybe a role selection type of mechanic at the beginning of the game, but this doesn't seem to cut it.
Granted, I haven't played the expansion yet. Maybe I'll love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
That cavelady looks like Carrie Fisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
Edit: From the rulebook:
Quote:
What is new?
5 player expansion
Players can now play with up to 5 players. To support the 5th player, the expansion includes a player board, people and markers for the 5th player, and extra resources.
However, extra resources are not listed in the contents list on page 2 so I wonder if this is a mistake?
From the BGG Essen demo, it seems that there are extra resources included in the box, which is good news.

Edit: Or perhaps not

JoffW wrote:
Also, it looks as if the gameboard overlay will not fit into the base game box, as it seems to have a larger footprint than the box.
And the Essen demo also showed that it was a foldable overlay board, which, thankfully, will fit into the base game box

Essen demo: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17993763
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |