Ken Howell
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of possibly getting this for solo play. Of the adventure packs that have been released are any of them better for solo play? If I do get the game I'd like to get at least one of the packs and if one is more solo-suitable I'd get that one.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've solo'd all of the adventure packs so far, though I'm not sure any of them could be classed as solo-oriented. Emyn Muil maybe.

The thing about the LotR LCG is that, for soloing, you're probably going to want to buy pretty much every adventure pack anyway, to get the most out of it. The solo game is a completely different style of game from multiplayer and is really more about constructing your deck so that it's capable of taking on each adventure which makes the player cards released in every adventure pack as big a deal as the actual adventure.

It's different in multiplayer - you can show up to a multiplayer game, even one tackling a new adventure, with a constant, never-changing deck made up purely of core cards and still contribute as much as anybody else.

Those are my thoughts anyway.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Howell
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
I've solo'd all of the adventure packs so far, though I'm not sure any of them could be classed as solo-oriented. Emyn Muil maybe.

The thing about the LotR LCG is that, for soloing, you're probably going to want to buy pretty much every adventure pack anyway, to get the most out of it. The solo game is a completely different style of game from multiplayer and is really more about constructing your deck so that it's capable of taking on each adventure which makes the player cards released in every adventure pack as big a deal as the actual adventure.

It's different in multiplayer - you can show up to a multiplayer game, even one tackling a new adventure, with a constant, never-changing deck made up purely of core cards and still contribute as much as anybody else.

Those are my thoughts anyway.


Thanks a lot for the input, I'll definitely consider it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
For now is only quest from core set is Almost impossible solo. Is Dol-Guldor quest. All other quests you can play solo and manage it.
I also mostly play solo in the week. But on weekend we have 2 or 3 players session with my friends.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clarke
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the core set and all of the adventure packs and play only solo. The Dol Guldur scenario in the main set is the only one you may struggle with. Any of the others will work, although I am currently finding Journey To Rhosgobel particularly challenging / frustrating, getting very close but not quite being able to reach the finish! Remember, you could also play double handed as if you had to players, although playing that way didn't do much for me.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Howell
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrmagpieman wrote:
I have the core set and all of the adventure packs and play only solo. The Dol Guldur scenario in the main set is the only one you may struggle with. Any of the others will work, although I am currently finding Journey To Rhosgobel particularly challenging / frustrating, getting very close but not quite being able to reach the finish! Remember, you could also play double handed as if you had to players, although playing that way didn't do much for me.



If I end up with this I also plan on playing a single deck. I will try playing with two decks but typically I don't prefer playing solo games as multiple players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AFHokie wrote:
mrmagpieman wrote:
I have the core set and all of the adventure packs and play only solo. The Dol Guldur scenario in the main set is the only one you may struggle with. Any of the others will work, although I am currently finding Journey To Rhosgobel particularly challenging / frustrating, getting very close but not quite being able to reach the finish! Remember, you could also play double handed as if you had to players, although playing that way didn't do much for me.



If I end up with this I also plan on playing a single deck. I will try playing with two decks but typically I don't prefer playing solo games as multiple players.


I've tried playing solo using two decks and I found it to be surprisingly fun. It does take more table space, and having some kind of card holders (I use the ones from Memoir 44) helps a lot to view both hands at once. Flipping more cards off the encounter deck each turn I find makes the experience much more consistent, with fewer weird streaks, and its great to be able to take advantage of the cards that interact between players while playing solo. I also think the difficulty of pretty much all of the scenarios is better balanced using this method.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Howell
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
I've tried playing solo using two decks and I found it to be surprisingly fun. It does take more table space, and having some kind of card holders (I use the ones from Memoir 44) helps a lot to view both hands at once. Flipping more cards off the encounter deck each turn I find makes the experience much more consistent, with fewer weird streaks, and its great to be able to take advantage of the cards that interact between players while playing solo. I also think the difficulty of pretty much all of the scenarios is better balanced using this method.


I see your points. If I end up getting this I will definitely try it. I never want to elimiante a way to play just because I THINK I many not prefer it.

I will say that I am growing closer and closer to hitting the check-out now button on this game. There are just so many other games I want as well, makes it hard to decide. I guess I can just stop procrastinating, sign up for the secret santa already and not feel bad since I know I'll get something else and I won't be choosing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AFHokie wrote:
mrmagpieman wrote:
I have the core set and all of the adventure packs and play only solo. The Dol Guldur scenario in the main set is the only one you may struggle with. Any of the others will work, although I am currently finding Journey To Rhosgobel particularly challenging / frustrating, getting very close but not quite being able to reach the finish! Remember, you could also play double handed as if you had to players, although playing that way didn't do much for me.



If I end up with this I also plan on playing a single deck. I will try playing with two decks but typically I don't prefer playing solo games as multiple players.
Since this is a co-op game, playing two handed does not present the usual problems of trying to 'forget' what you know of player one's hand when playing as player two, and so on. There is a bit of an advantage: when played as a two player game, you are not supposed to discuss what cards you have, so you are playing semi-blind, whereas playing solo two-handed allows you work out 'the best' moves precisely. But it does work pretty well.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are you sure you're not allowed to discuss? I think the rule book recommends it even...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:
Are you sure you're not allowed to discuss? I think the rule book recommends it even...
I would have to check. But my recollection is that you are allowed to discuss general principles, etc, but you cannot say what cards you have, nor read out their effects. So, "don't worry about my threat, I intend to reduce it" is fine, but "I am going to play Gandalf" is not. IIRC.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.