Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never been to one. None near me. Way too expensive just to attend as I would have to pay for room at the city where convention plus cost just to enter the place. Not to mention travel cost to and fro. I would have to spend several hundreds of dollars before I even got to the first booth. By the time I did that I would be too broke to buy anything.

I would like to go just to one, but cost prohibitive in my case.

Better to just use that money to buy games online than to spend it on a convention and can't buy anything.

Thoughts anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never been either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Been to just one, was indeed very expensive, but well worth it. Was a blast and my wife and daughters had fun too. Hoping to attend another next year if funds allow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're 13 hours from Indy. Get a group of people to carpool to GenCon and split a room. Odds are decent that you'll have a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Gonser

Spokane Valley
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent about $1800 for my wife and I to go to Essen last year. I sold it as my Disneyland and found that every dollar was worth it. Great to spend time with like miinded individual. So if you can spend a few hundred to go to origins. - I'd say its worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
You're 13 hours from Indy. Get a group of people to carpool to GenCon and split a room. Odds are decent that you'll have a blast.

Don't want to go with a group of people or even one. Second, I do not share rooms with anyone when traveling except my wife. Third, yes if I ever go I would have a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be expensive, but it can also be a lot of fun.

You seem to be talking about a trade convention. You might enjoy a playing convention like Atlanta Game Fest. I think there is a con in Jacksonville also, though the name escapes me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it.

Set aside $5.00 a week in a fund. At the end of a year, you'll have approximately $250. This is enough for entrance and a room for the night.

Cheers,

Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love meeting new people from all over the place. I just love the whole experience. I've been to several conventions though, all different kinds and I started in college. I've roomed with friends, roomed with randoms, had a room to myself, took my daughter for a day, volunteered, been a vendor, just gone to hang out with friends. Bought next to nothing. Bought too much to not fit in my bags/suitcases, Bought something I've always wanted/been looking for and bought something that was unplanned but pleasant. I guess I've done about everything except cosplay or run an event. But I can tell you that all the different experiences I've had at each convention I've had a blast!

I would never trade the convention experience for anything. It's a great social thing and it's just darn fun. If you don't like people, crowds, meeting new faces, etc I would suggest don't bother. Yes you will be spending the money but the experience is priceless and when the day/weekend is over you won't even notice how much you spent... until two weeks later when your credit bill comes in the mail! laugh

Everyone should attend something that catches their interest at least once in my opinion if you are curious. You never know who you will meet or what you will buy/find and you will always say "At least I went to ____"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's simple. You schedule a family vacation to overlap with a Con, and there are Cons all over the country, so surely there is somewhere that would be a fit for you.

For example, I schedule a trip to visit the family back in Ohio during the same week as Origins in Columbus, OH.

GenCon is in Indianapolis, IN, which is on the way to Chicago, a truly great place to visit.

BGG in Dallas, TX, a great city to visit.

We have many local Cons in Wisconsin and Northern Illinois throughout the year, so I suspect you have local cons in your area if you get connected with the right sources.

Good luck; it is worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the OP. I've been wargaming since the 70's. I once thought that I'd like to go to a con, but...

1) The older I get, the less I like crowds
2) The older I get, the less I like meeting new people
3) The older I get, the cheaper I get
4) I don't go on personal trips without my family

...so, unless a gaming con shows up in Pittsburgh at some point where I can go for the day with friends, it just probably ain't gonna happen.

My second curmudgeonly post of the day, and it's early yet. Could set a record at this rate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the comments.

We don't go on family vacations anywhere. So, that rules out scheduling one around a convention. $250 wouldn't be near enough to fund a trip to one plus buy stuff.

When I look at the overall cost of attending one, I feel that money could be spent on games, rpg books, my game room, accessories, etc. Stuff I would buy at a convention anyway.

If I did go, I'd be done in an hour or so. After spending all my money at the 1st booth or 2, no point in sticking around.

Well enough nay saying shake and whining cry guess I'm have turned into that "grumpy old guy" angry

Best to all the CON goers, save journeys and may you find that perfect game for you at reduced prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I go to conventions to play games. A little shopping is nice, but isn't the focus for me.

I like cons with scheduled events & tournaments. I can look at a schedule and know I'll get to play the games I want to. When attending a con regularly, you get to know the people that play the games you like and it is nice seeing them each year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I'd recomend is maybe start your own little "mini convention?" We have a group here in the Twin Cities called the Minneapolis Board Game Marathon. They rent out a hotel meeting space for the weekend, charge people $5 admission for the whole weekend of playing, and people come and go as they please, bringing games and potluck food for enjoyment. It's always "sold out" and people have really come to rely on this great outlet to play with other gamers. We're quite spoiled... but if you build it... they will come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hohenstadt wrote:

If I did go, I'd be done in an hour or so. After spending all my money at the 1st booth or 2, no point in sticking around.

I haven't been to a con yet myself, but there is a lot more to do at a Con than buying some games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there is more stuff to do than buy. I don't care about events, tournaments (same guy always win every year), shows, people in costumes. Only thing I heard about conventions that I would like is free stuff from vendors, reduced prices of games, new games not released yet to general public. Walk around and be able to say, "Been there done that." Oh, and maybe hat and/or t-shirt and some cool minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I don't really like crowds, but I did go to a gamer convention once. The company rep that was supposed to be teaching a game to us basically just read from the rules, which I could have done in the comfort of my own home. In the end I decided I'd just save the money and buy games in the future.

I suppose if you have a hard time finding people to game with, cons are a pretty good deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never attended a convention. I don,t know if I ever will. It doesn't fit with my playing style at all. I love board games, and playing them, but I have few friends in the hobby. I play with my family and friends, and that's what I'm happy with. I invite them to my place, we play good music, we have comfortable chairs, I offer them cappuccinos or orange juice, and we have a good time.

I sometimes go to a local open gaming night, and have a decent time. However, it feels more impersonal, there's bad lighting, foldable plastic chairs, it's noisy, and I don't enjoy myself as much. But, since it's $5, a friend of mine runs the thing, it's a 15 minute bike ride and I still have fun, I go. If I had to spend any more money, and had to go further, I would not be up for it. It doesn't match my lifestyle.

Now, if someone paid for me, and drove me to a convention, I'd give it a try, just to see. As it stands, though, I'm not interested in that style of gaming. So, I share the OP's view .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgag wrote:
Now, if someone paid.... .

You gave me a thought. Wonder if a group would pay for the gas and room in exchange for one to drive them and be their designated driver thru their stay?

Free trip more coin to spend at con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.