Popular Tags: [View All]
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I know the answer, but my wife and I talked about this for a bit the other night while playing.

If I lead with Produce/Trade and produce do followers have to produce also? or can they trade instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
I think I know the answer, but my wife and I talked about this for a bit the other night while playing.

If I lead with Produce/Trade and produce do followers have to produce also? or can they trade instead?

They must follow the role you chose, which was Produce in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:

David is correct! Produce and Trade are 2 distinct roles, they just happen to both use the same card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
dshortdesign wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:

David is correct! Produce and Trade are 2 distinct roles, they just happen to both use the same card.

That's how we played it, I can't remember the exact phrase from the rulebook that led us to play that way, but I remember rehashing the wording just to make sure we were doing it right. Both of us are rules abusers, ready to exploit any ambiguous language to our advantage, but I thought I'd ask just to make sure we were reading it right, and for when I teach these to other players. I know Seth has been clarifying rules, so I figured who better to confirm our reading than the designer...

also thanks Dave for posting so quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
That's how we played it, I can't remember the exact phrase from the rulebook that led us to play that way

I suspect it's spelled out very clearly in the Important Notes sections for both Trade and Produce - and of course there's the fact that "Produce" is a role, and "Trade" is a role (and there's no such role as "Produce/Trade"). and the rules in general say that you can follow the role that is led (nobody tries to follow Survey by sticking colonize cards under their planets!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
(nobody tries to follow Survey by sticking colonize cards under their planets!)

I do, but only with new players that don't know any better. I WILL CRUSH THEM!!! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
That's how we played it, I can't remember the exact phrase from the rulebook that led us to play that way

I suspect it's spelled out very clearly in the Important Notes sections for both Trade and Produce - and of course there's the fact that "Produce" is a role, and "Trade" is a role (and there's no such role as "Produce/Trade"). and the rules in general say that you can follow the role that is led (nobody tries to follow Survey by sticking colonize cards under their planets!)

of course they don't...because they are different cards, I think combining those roles onto one card was genious, but it makes you think about it a little more than would otherwise be necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Watson
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
dshortdesign wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:

Then why on one card? None of the other roles are on one card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they were on two different cards that would put a produce/trade deck at a severe disadvantage as you have to bulk up your deck with a bunch of each as opposed to a bunch of the one card.

It's like if there were two cards for warfare, one for attacking and one for gaining ships, a colonize deck would crush it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwwatson wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
dshortdesign wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:

Then why on one card? None of the other roles are on one card.

If all the other roles jumped off a bridge would you expect Produce and Trade to do it as well? :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Chu
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
They're just jealous that produce and trade are in such a stable and compatible relationship while the rest of them are still alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.