Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the ressource slot distribution intentional?

I have:
5 metallic planets with Iron
7 advanced planets with Silicium
6 fertile worlds with Water OR Food (3 of each)
3 fertile worlds with Water AND Food
(and 6 Utopian planets)

I would have expected 6 of each...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
Is the ressource slot distribution intentional?

I have:
5 metallic planets with Iron
7 advanced planets with Silicium
6 fertile worlds with Water OR Food (3 of each)
3 fertile worlds with Water AND Food
(and 6 Utopian planets)

I would have expected 6 of each...?

That is intentional Metallic planets are less likely to be productive, and are therefore worth more points on the average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ask, because of the ressource discs. An additional lilac disc instead of the sixth orange would have made sense.

Anyway: I don't think, that it often happens, that all 7 lilac producing planets are out AND in full production. And with the Utopian planets there is naturally a shortage.

Question: Was it originally intended, that the ressources are limited? Would make sense, regarding the technologies that awarf VPs for identical produced or traded ressources...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
I just ask, because of the ressource discs. An additional lilac disc instead of the sixth orange would have made sense.

Anyway: I don't think, that it often happens, that all 7 lilac producing planets are out AND in full production. And with the Utopian planets there is naturally a shortage.

Question: Was it originally intended, that the ressources are limited? Would make sense, regarding the technologies that awarf VPs for identical produced or traded ressources...

The resources are NOT piece limited. I have very seldom run out of a particular color while playing, but if that happens feel free to proxy (use another color for example). Note that officially the type of resource is defined by the resource SLOT, not the token you put on it.

Note also that Utopian planets are special - for those you must choose the type when you produce - if you want to produce Silicon for example and all the Silicon is currently on Advanced planets, I recommend proxying one of the resources on an Advanced planet and placing a Silicon colored resource on the Utopian planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
The resources are NOT piece limited. I have very seldom run out of a particular color while playing, but if that happens feel free to proxy (use another color for example). Note that officially the type of resource is defined by the resource SLOT, not the token you put on it.

Yes - I know this - my question is, if the ressources were limited at a certain point of the development of the game. I'm just curious what impact that would have on the game.

It would allow, for example, to block a player with a trading strategy - hm. Since you can block no other strategy, maybe that would be no good idea... ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:

Yes - I know this - my question is, if the ressources were limited at a certain point of the development of the game. I'm just curious what impact that would have on the game.

It would allow, for example, to block a player with a trading strategy - hm. Since you can block no other strategy, maybe that would be no good idea... ^^

Sorry, I missed your question.

The resources were never intended to be piece limited. Players need to be able to produce and trade, even if other players are producing and trading. I think such a limitation would be pretty awful - arbitrarily turning off your strategy, and making it possible to 'hoard' resources, which is not something I wanted to have in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, so the only reason for the different resources is for the 3 Tech cards: Diverse Markets, Specialization, and Genetic Engineering?

I must admit, having not registered that those techs exist, we assumed that the resources were piece limited, because otherwise, why is there any need to have the different resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
Wait, so the only reason for the different resources is for the 3 Tech cards: Diverse Markets, Specialization, and Genetic Engineering?

I must admit, having not registered that those techs exist, we assumed that the resources were piece limited, because otherwise, why is there any need to have the different resources.

... To avoid the inevitable question "Why do all the planets make the same type of resource? I feel like they should make different resources!"

There being different types of resources is important in that it opens up potential for effects such as those on Diverse Markets, Genetic Engineering, and Specialization. I agree, without those effects, the types do not matter. In effect, all of the resource discs COULD have been the same color, and the type defined by the resource slot on which the resource sits - but I'm sure people would have raised the opposite question if that were the case. Having all planets make the same TYPE of resources simply limits the potential for diversity in the game. One of the benefits of concentrating on Fertile planets is that they are more divers in resources (Fertile planets can produce Food and Water, Advanced only Silicon, and Metallic only Iron).

Heck, there's no need to have resources at all - you can play the entire game without using a single Produce/Trade card. But I don't think anyone would suggest that they be removed from the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
I would also assume that there is some work going into an expansion (hint, hint, Seth ) that will make additional use of the different types of resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Timotheous wrote:
I would also assume that there is some work going into an expansion (hint, hint, Seth ) that will make additional use of the different types of resource.

I certainly want that opportunity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.