Arkham Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game - First Loss - Hastur, Rumors and a lot of Horror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
[1 Player, 1 Investigator against Hastur]

I am still afraid, and I am still in black, because of the poor Ashcan Pete.

Pete started with an enchant weapon spell and a +1 dodge/avoid mantle and the skill experienced occultist (repeat spell roll) in the domestic port and a elder sign in his bag. The horror began at the cemetery rapidly spreading due to a great ritual rumor in round 2/3. He had no idea how to gain three spells and move to the french neighbourhood in only 5 rounds. Running to the bank for the 10$ and then running back to the old spell shop he already had to pay back 2$ falling down to 9 and was not able to buy 2 spells, but he bought 1. Another entchant weapon spell.

On the way to the shop he got nearly eaten by a ghoul becoming unconscious the first time. He failed to cancel the great ritual and now he had to pull 2 mythos cards each round, the first opening a second gate.

1-2 rounds later he got unconscious the second time trying to avoid a monster entering a gate to close it with a elder sign and 1-2 rounds Hastur already awake with a terror level of 5.

Poor Pete had not even a chance with 5 Attack and 3 Clues and 2 blue tokens against Hastur's -5 he could have at best hit him for 3 dice.

The Arkham Horror horrified me and i have no idea how it shall be possible to win the basic game alone with 1 investigator. It feels like i am just drawing a mythos card after the other until i have lost. I was not able to kill 1 monster, i was not able to enter a gate, i just got really fast killed in many different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really a game to solo with one investigator. Most people see four investigators (directed by any number of players) as the sweet spot and I agree with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:
It's not really a game to solo with one investigator.

This. Playing Arkham Horror with just a single investigator is probably harder than any other cooperative game out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Ok, thank you. I still enjoyed it, but i think i would not play with 1 investigator anymore

What happens with >4 investigators? Does it become to easy? So if i play with >4 people we should use expansions to make it more difficult or share investigators (i REALLY dislike the second option here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Price
United Kingdom
Darlaston
west Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoxMortem wrote:
Ok, thank you. I still enjoyed it, but i think i would not play with 1 investigator anymore

What happens with >4 investigators? Does it become to easy? So if i play with >4 people we should use expansions to make it more difficult or share investigators (i REALLY dislike the second option here)

Arkham horror wont get too easy for quite a few games. Like you I first started with a single investigator and was amazed at how insanely difficult it was. Like others on here have pointed out it gets a little easier to deal with with the more investigators you use. I usually play 3 investigators and have still only won once (yes theres a chance i may suck.)

Hastur is very tough if that terror track gets out of hand and he wakes up. A seal victory is probably close to impossible with a single investigator.

Give it a go with a few more investigators, sure you will still lose a bunch of times but you wont feel so overwhelmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Roberts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
Tegarend wrote:
It's not really a game to solo with one investigator.

This. Playing Arkham Horror with just a single investigator is probably harder than any other cooperative game out there.

Presumably because with one investigator it isn't a co-op game any longer! (Unless you play one investigator between two and pretend that have split personality disorder.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time investigators are given roles to perform, which are best suited to their stats and abilities, such as gate sealer or monster sweeper. With only one investigator, he has to wear a lot of hats and is often forced to do jobs that he may not be suited to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Gregory
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Simply with any down time - 0 Sanity, 0 Stamina, or Lost in Time in Space... a single Investigator is a tough play.
2. Some of the special abilities require, or seriously help other Investigators (Patrice, etc). Again, more than one makes sense.
3. I don't agree with function orientated investigators - shoppers, street sweepers, etc. But the reality is many Investigators simply cannot or should not be performing those roles... so again... more investigators, a better chance of success.
4. Rumors? The more Investigators the greater the chance for allies, spells, etc.
5. Solo Pete vs Cthulu... just doesn't seem right...

My suggestion is read the forums, get some ideas on how other people use spells, etc... Pick the "best" Investigators in your mind, until you get some experience under your belt. Then go random on your investigators, or deal +1 extra per person so the selection is reduced.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick fix is to just have more turns between Mythos card draws. Since it takes three turns to close a gate, three to five turns between draws would work. Reduce this number as gates are sealed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.