United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The rulebook says that you take a Borg card (instead of an Ensign) if you are defeated in battle with a Borg cube. Is this what the FAIL effect on the cube is referring to, or does it mean that you take one if you just fail to defeat the cube but survive? If it does mean failing to defeat the cube, do you then take 2 borg cards if you both fail to defeat it and are defeated yourself?

2. Can I use a card like Diagnostics Check to discard Borg cards from my hand during a battle with a cube or Locutus? Or do they no longer count as in my hand once I've revealed them for those cards effects. If you can still discard them, would it effect Locutus's goal since they are no longer in my hand at the time I attempt to defeat him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 1, I'm pretty sure it's how you described. That everyone takes a borg card if you fail to defeat the cube. In addition, a player who had his flagship knocked out also takes a borg card for a total of 2. That's how we played it anyways. The borg cards act as a timer, too many fails and you lose the game.

It doesn't say you play them to your bridge, just reveal them to affect the borg cube/Locutus abilities. In fact it says you can't play them to the bridge. So I'd say yes you can discard them with diagnostics check to draw new cards. Note though that during battles only one player can play any particular maneuver. So you'll have to decide as a team which player can benefit from playing it during the battle. Other players can play theirs once the battle is concluded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input! My second question though is really more about Locutus. I believe he is an event so the multiple maneuver rule doesn't apply. If I'm able to discard borg cards from my hand during the event, do they still add to his speed and attack goal since they are no longer in my hand at the time I attempt to defeat him? Or is his goal only determined once immediately after he flips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say yes since as you say, he isn't a battle. But I think you have to reveal borg cards as soon as he comes up. I don't recall his exact text. So while you could discard them, I think they still affect his card. I could be wrong though, maybe Alex can pop in and answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bykov
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
qwheeler wrote:
1. The rulebook says that you take a Borg card (instead of an Ensign) if you are defeated in battle with a Borg cube. Is this what the FAIL effect on the cube is referring to, or does it mean that you take one if you just fail to defeat the cube but survive? If it does mean failing to defeat the cube, do you then take 2 borg cards if you both fail to defeat it and are defeated yourself?

2. Can I use a card like Diagnostics Check to discard Borg cards from my hand during a battle with a cube or Locutus? Or do they no longer count as in my hand once I've revealed them for those cards effects. If you can still discard them, would it effect Locutus's goal since they are no longer in my hand at the time I attempt to defeat him?

1) The FAIL and the Rule about gaining a BORG CARD when you are defeated are separate so if you are defeated and the team fails you gain 2 BORG CARDS.

2) Yes you can discards BORG CARDS to effects such as Diagnostic Check but remember that the stat increases to the BORG CUBE/LOCUTUS are set before you have a chance to play Diagnostic Check. The X on those cards will be set before players have a chance to play cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan humphreys
msg tools
If you have multiple long range sensors, can you still use multiple of them? Because they happen before the cards come out, so before a cube limits to 1 unique card.

Secondly. All cards that use the word "opponent" are useless now? Or can you use allies in place of them? (For instance, rikers draw 2 card ability)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bykov
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
You cannot play any cards before you explore, so you won't be able to play long range sensors before you flip a borg ship.

You are correct, cards that reference an opponent will only refer to the borg so you cannot select one of the other players. Thus effects that require an opponent don't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joan Bofill

Bellcaire d'Empordà
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ABykov wrote:
qwheeler wrote:

1) The FAIL and the Rule about gaining a BORG CARD when you are defeated are separate so if you are defeated and the team fails you gain 2 BORG CARDS.

Just to clarify. If you ship explodes you get a Borg Card and you shuffle all your pile, discard, hand and bridge, and then you get a new Borg Card from the Fail effect that is discarded. Or this second one is also shuffled into all your current cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bykov
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Your ship is destroyed however, you wait until the battle resolves completely to do the rest so you would apply the fail before you shuffle and redraw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.