7 Posts

War at Sea (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: A few more newbie questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Konuch
msg tools
Carrier attacks -
Are carrier aircraft attacks different than land based aircraft attacks? For instance, are carrier aircraft allowed to attack in each new succeeding surface combat round within the same sea area with their aircraft?

If a player does not use his carrier to initially attack in a new surface battle and then chooses to disengage later on, can he use his carrier aircraft then to join in with his surface ships to battle against any pursuing enemy ships?

Disengaging -
Can an allied player choose to try to disengage before the beginning of a new sea area surface battle? (I assume here that the allied player always goes first in each surface battle.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Olson
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Carriers are the same as LBA except that carriers make their attack(s) in the zone they are in. A ship attacked by LBA cannot also be attacked by a carrier strike.

Yes. But only the Eagle has an attack factor. The carriers cannot make airstrikes during pursuit.

The decision to disengage is made simultaneously. Most of the time one side is obvious, so you just say "I'm staying. Are you?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Tim Konuch wrote:
Carrier attacks -
Are carrier aircraft attacks different than land based aircraft attacks?
No, and in fact, you allocate those ONE 'aerial attack' per vessel, while NONE were susceptible for more than a single encounter from these, even if a ship were "Disabled" and then returned to a 'Port' undergoing 'Aerial Attack'. If you have more 'attacking aircraft' than vessels, any over that amount were considered unable to perform theirs then.
Tim Konuch wrote:
For instance, are carrier aircraft allowed to attack in each new succeeding surface combat round within the same sea area with their aircraft?
No; 10.4 "Airstrikes are not repeated in the same area during the same turn regardless of the number of surface rounds which may take place".
Tim Konuch wrote:
If a player does not use his carrier to initially attack in a new surface battle and then chooses to disengage later on, can he use his carrier aircraft then to join in with his surface ships to battle against any pursuing enemy ships?
No, because they'd conducted theirs PRIOR to 'surface combat' commencing, as well with adhering about 10.4.
Tim Konuch wrote:
Disengaging -
Can an allied player choose to try to disengage before the beginning of a new sea area surface battle? (I assume here that the allied player always goes first in each surface battle.)
Yes, while you also can have EACH combatant "write down" whether or NOT they're disengaging, with simply denoting "yes" or "no" upon the current situation, according to 12.4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Konuch
msg tools
Wow with the one shot only capability, it then seems to me that carriers are one of the weakest vessels in this game. What are the strategies to using carriers? Is it best to spread them out over the different sea areas or to combine them together in just a few selected sea areas along with the protection of more ships around them? Also, since a carrier then has only one chance at the beginning to decide whether to use its one time airplane attack factor, would a carrier ever be placed in a sea area without the intention of using its air attacks? Otherwise I would think it would only be a helpless target for other enemy vessels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Tim Konuch wrote:
Wow with the one shot only capability, it then seems to me that carriers are one of the weakest vessels in this game. What are the strategies to using carriers?
They have a: "First, or even; Preemptive Strike" ability with that, about theirs then, as well with being an ASW benefactor, or deterrent to: "das BOOT!" You are provided with the OFF-'chance' that you'll either DISABLE some vessel and "send it off, packing", without that even having affected any possible outcome of the upcoming "Naval Clash" to ensue; or with DAMAGING and diminishing their ability for something that these would then have been capable on using, of and about theirs.
Tim Konuch wrote:
Is it best to spread them out over the different sea areas or to combine them together in just a few selected sea areas along with the protection of more ships around them?
Yes, and possibly Yes again, depending upon your current disposition(s) or however you perceive such as being currently. I'd much rather OVER-PROTECT within some certain area that there is way too much to lose, if not performed in this manner.
Tim Konuch wrote:
Also, since a carrier then has only one chance at the beginning to decide whether to use its one time airplane attack factor, would a carrier ever be placed in a sea area without the intention of using its air attacks? Otherwise I would think it would only be a helpless target for other enemy vessels.
The majority of people shall certainly HOPE that they'll fully utilize this capability, for wherever that occurs. NONE should shirk, nor readily dismiss and disdain, about something that may have just given these "an edge" over their current opponent, and whatever forces were arrayed against one another in this manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Konuch
msg tools
Thanks Robert. Your answers are helpful. Much appreciated.

Best regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Olson
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
OTOH if you have a decided advantage in the sea zone, you might decide not to attack with the aircraft because you *don't* want to chance sending home the victims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.