fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
When the rich & famous collide.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/steve-jobs-predicted-obam...

The Ticket blog wrote:
Steve Jobs, known for his aggressive and sometimes prickly personality, didn't hold back when he met President Obama in 2010: The Apple CEO warned Obama he wasn't going to win re-election.

"You're headed for a one-term presidency," Jobs said during a meeting with the president that took place a year prior to Jobs' death related to pancreatic cancer, according to his upcoming biography as reported by the Huffington Post.

Walter Isaacson, who wrote the forthcoming Jobs bio, reportedly reveals that Jobs argued that Obama was jeopardizing his re-election prospects because of what Jobs took to be a pervasive anti-business climate in his administration. Jobs cited excessive federal regulations and operating costs for businesses as harmful legacies of the Obama White House.

Also, Jobs nearly missed the meeting in the first place.

From the Huffington Post:

Though his wife told him that Obama "was really psyched to meet with you," Jobs insisted on the personal invitation, and the standoff lasted for five days. When he finally relented and they met at the Westin San Francisco Airport, Jobs was characteristically blunt. He seemed to have transformed from a liberal into a conservative.

After laying into the White House's purported anti-business outlook, Jobs offered to help Obama repair the rift by arranging meeting between the president and a group of CEOs. When the guest list began to grow, Jobs reportedly resolved to back out of the gathering. Instead, he attended, though he poo-pooed the fancy menu. "But he was overruled by the White House, which cited the president's fondness for cream pie," Huffington Post writes.

Jobs also offered to to help create political ads for the president in 2012. Jobs had scotched a similar effort to craft Obama ads in 2008, when Isaacson claims that Jobs was unhappy that Obama strategist David Axelrod showed insufficient deference to the Apple honcho.

This and other political news is just the latest information to leak from the hotly anticipated book.

Another revelation that Isaacson has teed up for a "60 Minutes" interview featuring the biography this Sunday is that Jobs wished he had chosen sooner to undergo cancer surgery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
What a non-story. As far as Jobs goes, I care about his opinion on politics now about as much as I cared when he was alive. Maybe less, since he can't really vote anymore. Is it possible to care less than "not at all?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't necessarily planning on voting for Obama, but this certainly puts a few ounces on his side of the scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
And then Jobs saw the competition ans said, "never mind".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do not see Jobs' argument at all. He claims Obama is anti-business because of excessive regulations but we have just went through eight years of an administrations which shed every regulation on business it could. I have certainly not seen any major re-regulation of business under Obama (with the exception of useless and token financial "reform") who seems to have bent over backwards to appease "business".

Given Jobs' rant at Obama and his crazy ass "destroying Android" tirade It's looking like Jobs was, although a brilliant businessman, more than a bit loony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
I really do not see Jobs' argument at all. He claims Obama is anti-business because of excessive regulations but we have just went through eight years of an administrations which shed every regulation on business it could. I have certainly not seen any major re-regulation of business under Obama (with the exception of useless and token financial "reform") who seems to have bent over backwards to appease "business".

Given Jobs' rant at Obama and his crazy ass "destroying Android" tirade It's looking like Jobs was, although a brilliant businessman, more than a bit loony.

You must have missed the memo....dude's dead, and therefore we're suddenly supposed to fall to our knees in worship. Like it's somehow a big revelation that the CEO of one of the world's biggest companies is anti-regulation? In other news, the head of the AFL-CIO opposes union-busting.

The only reason it's a story at all is that someone has a book to sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
What a non-story. ... Is it possible to care less than "not at all?"
... says the person who has already posted twice about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Sorry, perhaps I was unclear. I couldn't care less about Steve Jobs' opinion. The fact people are reporting about it as if it matters is something I find irksome enough to merit a few posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

He is vehement in his non-opinion

My opinion? If Obama is a one term president, it is because Americans somehow blame him for the intransigence of his opposing party. The efforts conservatives have gone to to make this a non-workable government in spite of the damage it has done to the US economy boggles my mind.

However this tactic has worked before. In my country back in 1975 a Govt was dissolved being unable to pass a supply bill (basically the Fed budget) and the voter backlash was all against the incumbents rather than those who caused the impasse

~shrug~ people are not very adept at political nuance. I think most vote based on how they were brought up, or what the media is saying. (And you will note that some media in this country has a VERY political message)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything I've ever read about Jobs indicates that he is, and always has been, a giant douche with an oversized ego. Thus, it's not surprising that he'd be blunt and opinionated with the President. That doesn't mean that he's right or wrong about anything in particular. Obviously, he gets business and product design, maybe he knows something about politics? But it sounds to me like he was trying to manipulate the President's thinking, rather than being oracular.

I'd put Obama's chances at reelection at around 50%. Even with that crop of losers waiting in the wings, his administration has had really spotty message control, and he's going to get hammered over unemployment. The only thing he's got going for him is foreign policy (the end to the Iraq war, bin Laden, Libya) and the inertial advantage of being the incumbent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
What a non-story. As far as Jobs goes, I care about his opinion on politics now about as much as I cared when he was alive. Maybe less, since he can't really vote anymore. Is it possible to care less than "not at all?"

And yet you care enough to post this.

Philosophers argue that hate is not the opposite of love, indifference is. Hate and love are intense focus upon a person. Which you seem to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Philosophers argue that hate is not the opposite of love, indifference is. Hate and love are intense focus upon a person. Which you seem to have.

So not only do you take offense on others' behalf, you also psychoanalyze them based on a couple of forum posts.

You are truly a renaissance man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

So not only do you take offense on others' behalf, you also psychoanalyze them based on a couple of forum posts.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

I'm touched that you care enough about me to track my posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

I'd ask you to describe the leaps you took to reach this conclusion, but I'm not sure I want to know. Can you tell me if I'll ever resolve my feelings of guilt and loss about the stuffed animal I left on an airplane when I was five?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve: You're headed for a one-term presidency.
Barack: ... We'll I'll seen about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Can you tell me if I'll ever resolve my feelings of guilt and loss about the stuffed animal I left on an airplane when I was five?

Obviously not. This is a self deterministic emotional confabulation. As you continue to think about it, short term memory increases your awareness of it and actually modifies the memory data of the original event. As you age, if you haven't lost the memory by now or controlled the emotional impact of it, it will only grow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Can you tell me if I'll ever resolve my feelings of guilt and loss about the stuffed animal I left on an airplane when I was five?

Obviously not. This is a self deterministic emotional confabulation. As you continue to think about it, short term memory increases your awareness of it and actually modifies the memory data of the original event. As you age, if you haven't lost the memory by now or controlled the emotional impact of it, it will only grow.

What if I just made it up as a cover for the fact that I'm actually feeling guilty about pushing a hobo in front of a railroad track because he looked like my sadistic P.E. teacher from grade school? What if neither story is true? What if I'm not even really me? What if I'm just the physical embodiment of BJ's secret liberal alternate personality?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
What if I'm just the physical embodiment of BJ's secret liberal alternate personality?

Man I've got a good zinger lined up that I just don't dare post. Stupid moderation policies...

Go ahead and post it, it's well established that in any conversation involving me, I'm the only one who gets moderated. Trust me.

(Also, geekmail it to me, I hate to let a good snarkback go to waste.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
What if I'm not even really me?

It's the internet.

No one is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
What if I'm just the physical embodiment of BJ's secret liberal alternate personality?

Man I've got a good zinger lined up that I just don't dare post. Stupid moderation policies...

Go ahead and post it, it's well established that in any conversation involving me, I'm the only one who gets moderated. Trust me.

(Also, geekmail it to me, I hate to let a good snarkback go to waste.)

Yeah, BJ, you have to post it now. Just post it as a 'hypothetical reply to a nonexistant user' or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Yeah, BJ, you have to post it now. Just post it as a 'hypothetical reply to a nonexistant user' or something.

As I understand it the brilliant moderation rules are such that you can say "Anyone who has the opinion you just expressed and I quoted in my post is a shitbrained yak-fucker" with total impunity, but if you say "Dave is kind of a jerk" you will be punished to the full extent of the law.

This goes double, of course, if two or three people exercise their right to secretly flag your post as "offensive" without having to own up to it publicly or justify their response to anyone.

Not that I'm bitter, mind you. Paul, let's see you analyze that....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:

It's rationalization.

You're bitter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

It's rationalization.

You're bitter.

I find your analysis lacks the depth I'm looking for, I'm going to have to let you go and find a therapist who is more inclined to tell me what I want to hear. Thanks for your time, though. Your input has really been valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/00...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

You ain't seen nothing yet.

I'm touched that you care enough about me to track my posts.

You caught me. I'm a stalker.

I guess now that my cover is blown, I'll have to go back to not giving a shit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.