Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Kinsey
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10th try tonight. Playing two decks, purple and green. When the game ended I hadn't managed to keep a SINGLE progress token on Stage 1 of the quest. Not one. Made it all the way through the encounter deck before the Necromancer slew Eowyn and Beravor and the threat level ratcheted up to 15 knocking Aragorn and his allies out of the game in one fell swoop.

I love this game but it is one of the most frustrating things I have ever done with my free time. Ten tries at Anduin with a variety of paired single resource decks and ONE time I managed to get to Stage 3 (and was immediately slain).

Enough bitching. I am sure I will return to Middle Earth in short order. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try using Dunhere as one of your heroes. Very helpful in this quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
There is a problem with your deck my friend. Also for solo game you should choose your heroes carefully. Anduin is quite difficult quest for beginners, troll is very powerful and most of the time even when you kill him it cost you lot of the resources and good cards.
Very important good deck building in this game as well.
I give you example of my deck. Beat Anduin quite easy. 2 core set required.

Hero (3)
Eowyn (Core) x1
Gimli (Core) x1
Theodred (Core) x1

Ally (11)
Faramir (Core) x3
Gandalf (Core) x3
Northern Tracker (Core) x3
Lorien Guide (Core) x2

Attachment (14)
Celebrian's Stone (Core) x2
Citadel Plate (Core) x3
Dwarven Axe (Core) x3
Steward of Gondor (Core) x3
Unexpected Courage (Core) x3

Event (25)
A Test of Will (Core) x3
Dwarven Tomb (Core) x3
Feint (Core) x3
Quick Strike (Core) x3
Sneak Attack (Core) x3
Stand and Fight (Core) x2
The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core) x3
Valiant Sacrifice (Core) x2
Hasty Stroke (Core) x3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
There is a problem with your deck my friend. Also for solo game you should choose your heroes carefully. Anduin is quite difficult quest for beginners, troll is very powerful and most of the time even when you kill him it cost you lot of the resources and good cards.
Very important good deck building in this game as well.
I give you example of my deck. Beat Anduin quite easy. 2 core set required.

Hero (3)
Eowyn (Core) x1
Gimli (Core) x1
Theodred (Core) x1

Ally (11)
Faramir (Core) x3
Gandalf (Core) x3
Northern Tracker (Core) x3
Lorien Guide (Core) x2

Attachment (14)
Celebrian's Stone (Core) x2
Citadel Plate (Core) x3
Dwarven Axe (Core) x3
Steward of Gondor (Core) x3
Unexpected Courage (Core) x3

Event (25)
A Test of Will (Core) x3
Dwarven Tomb (Core) x3
Feint (Core) x3
Quick Strike (Core) x3
Sneak Attack (Core) x3
Stand and Fight (Core) x2
The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core) x3
Valiant Sacrifice (Core) x2
Hasty Stroke (Core) x3

And if you only have one core set, just include one copy of Celebrian's Stone and Unexpected Courage and two copies of Faramir, Northern Tracker, Citadel Plate, Steward of Gondor, A Test of Will, Feint, Sneak Attack, Quick Strike and Galadhrim's Greeting and you should be fine.

This deck looks solid enough. I had a variant of this using Lore instead of Tactics - mostly for card draw via Beravor, but also for those Forest Snares, which can save your bacon in Anduin. If you want, I can probably find the deck list somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed it quite consistently with a dual sphere Lore/spirit deck, one core set only. If I included any AP cards they were probably only from Gollum, but I don't keep detailed records.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With my two decks lore+spirit and tactics+leadership I manage through this scenario most of the times.
My heroes are Eowyn, Denethor and Glorfindel on one side and Legolas, Gimli and groin on the other.
Make sure you have feint in your hand and unexpected courage.
In your first turn you, if the troll attacks you, you should avoid his attack with feint.
Avoid it as long as you can (try with forest snare from the second turn on).
If you cannot avoid his attack, I suggest this crazy tactic, which is to let the attack go undefended on Gimli, than attack the troll back with Gimli and Legolas (and some other alies).
His should not only take care of the troll, but will also give you two progress tokens.
For stage 2, pick your enemies: keep the staging area as clear as possible: hope for few locations.
Don't go to stage 3 if you have too many enemies in the staging area: control your questing phase, and leave the river only when the enemies are taken care of.
In stage two, leave ASAP, as soon as you have 1-2 enemies in the staging area: Use Faramir: you can reach 15-16 will power quite easily.
Don't wait: surge is behind the corner, and you'll soon find yourself with too many enemies in very little time.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Michelle!

Gimli cannot take 6 damage!

He CAN take 6 Attack IF he defends (and gets no ill shadow effect)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to beat Anuin with the core set is to use Spirit heavily.
Denhere is extremely useful in this scenario, and the Northern Trackers' ability to remove locations makes stage 2 much easier.
In addition, if you can keep your threat nice and low, a lot of the enemies won't attack you until you're ready for them...

You may well find the scenario easier to complete solo than with two players. Try a Spirit/Lore or Spirit/Tactics deck (Dunhere + Eowyn + a hero from the other faction) and you shouldn't find it too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troymk1 wrote:
Hey Michelle!

Oops... Yes, you're right... Though the tactic is still valid if Gimli is equipped with dwarves armor or has unexpected courage so he can defend and then attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
Troymk1 wrote:
Hey Michelle!

Oops... Yes, you're right... Though the tactic is still valid if Gimli is equipped with dwarves armor or has unexpected courage so he can defend and then attack.

Unexpected courage on Gimli?

Oh my...2 big hits a round could come in very handy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just FINALLY beat this scenario after 10-15 tries with Aragon, Legolas, Gimli. Let me explain how I did it a bit.

First off, I didn't like Dunhere - he can't hurt the troll, so the low-threat crap didn't work - so I just went balls-to-the-wall.

I built my own deck with one coreset, so I set myself to 33 cards - basically, 2x for 16 cards and 1x of one card, instead of 3x for 16 cards and 2x for one card for 50 cards (close as I could get). Of course, the small deck is more favorable, as the draws will be less random. It's not like it was a "Tournament," right?...

Anyway, I mulliganned for Steward of Gondor, which seems like a must to even play this game at all solo. I started out with a location and the troll, but I admit, I was lucky with some events (drew 2 of the "35 threat" events with 33-34 threat). However, though it's risky (and if it doesn't pan out you can restart the scenario quickly), I start out by committing everyone to the quest, except that I have Gimli defend against the Hill Troll, so that he gets 4 damage tokens and is now awesome to attack with. Then, you can kill the Troll very quickly, especially if you can Sneak Attack Gandalf. The most important things were:

1.) Gandalf. One trick is Sneak Attack, possibly together with the card that lets you draw 2 when an ally leaves play. The other trick is the card from the expansion that attaches for 0 (tactics card) and lets you return an ally to your hand by discarding the attachment (an eagle card). If you don't want to use expansion cards, that's fine, that's the only one I used, I think. I first used Gandalf once to draw, but mostly to kill things. The third trick is to maximize each appearance of Gandalf, particularly with the card that's "Ready 1 Ally". Basically, all of my cards were to abuse my one important ally, Gandalf - the deck had only a few allies, mostly Gandalf and Faramir.

2.) Attachments on Gimli. The ultimate goal is to keep Gimli alive with Citadel Plate, and use his awesome damage ability, along with Dwarven Axe and the Dagger(?) that gives you progress tokens like Legolas when you kill things. Those two abilities are super important since I had no other real way to add extra progress to locations. I would leave Gimli back after the Troll hit him to 1 life (to avoid dying from treacheries), and then engage enemies and use Quick Strike on Gimli before they attacked.

3.) Feint. It's not as good as the lore Trap card but it's cheap, and it's enough when you can slaughter enemies.

4.) The card that gives Aragon the * resource but more importantly gives +2 willpower. I'm mad there's only one of those in the core set. It's REALLY useful, especially since Aragon can ready himself.

Hope that helps. I know my deckbuilding wasn't "proper", but you could build a similar "correct" deck with 2 core sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My solo team is Spirit+Leadership (Eowyn, Dunhere, Theodred) and is low starting threat (25). This gives you a good amount of turns to gather some resources, drop some allies and quest before you get the troll's attention at level 30.

If you're relying on Core, gather as many allies as you can in the opening turns and then strike once you're ready to take the troll in a turn or two. Gandalf can be incredibly potent, especially with Sneak Attack. Focus on questing, leaving an ally or Dunhere ready to deal with any of the smaller threats that may turn up. You should almost always travel when you have the option, although if you luck into a Northern Tracker you can explore multiple locations at once and keep them under control. A few of the nastier when revealed effects only hit threat 35 and above, so try to manage your threat to be below that number whenever possible (via Gandalf and Greeting of the Galadhrim). Don't drop the troll until you have assembled a decent total willpower - you'll need to blitz through stage 2 as fast as possible - any opposing threat there will increasingly buildup fast and while you can mitigate it somewhat with Dunhere and Trackers helping to keep the staging area clear (Dunhere especially shines against the otherwise devastating Goblin Snipers), they usually will not keep up forever. I find in most successful games of Anduin, stage 3 is usually not bad. If there are lingering enemies you can pick them off on your terms one by one if you maintain a low threat, and an overflow of forces means you spent too long in stage 2 and should look into tuning your deck for more willpower.

If you have the adventure packs, multiple Marks of Dunedain are good options to attach to Dunhere and will raise his attack high enough that you can wear the troll slowly down enough that you can take it out in a single engagement (or outright kill him if you keep the staging area and your threat under control).

This is a slower, more controlled method, but I found it easier than attempting to deal with the troll early on and the subsequent threat elevation that route entails (unless you're starting with Gimli or Gandalf to absorb the full attack).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how Dunhere is any good in this scenario. I guess he could be ok against some enemies in the staging area that don’t have defense. Against the troll though, he is worthless, the troll’s defense is 3 and Dunhere's attack is 3 when attacking in the staging area.

Personally I think Gimli is better for this scenario because of is attack power. But then again I have not yet been successful going down the Anduin. I have lost at least 20+ times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joefling34 wrote:
I don't see how Dunhere is any good in this scenario. I guess he could be ok against some enemies in the staging area that don’t have defense. Against the troll though, he is worthless, the troll’s defense is 3 and Dunhere's attack is 3 when attacking in the staging area.

Dunhere's goodness is I believe mostly about stage two, where you draw X + 1 cards and can only engage one Enemy optionally, while Enemies themselves don't auto-engage you. If you draw 2 Enemies in solo game, you can engage one and Dunhere slaps the other dead from the staging area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
joefling34 wrote:

Personally I think Gimli is better for this scenario because of is attack power. But then again I have not yet been successful going down the Anduin. I have lost at least 20+ times.

Dunhere is useful in the 2nd stage where you need 16 progress tokens, where an extra encounter card is drawn each turn, and the engagement check is skipped. Of the 20 enemy cards in the encounter deck only 3 are immune to an unbuffed Dunhere: Hill Toll x2 and Chieftan Ufthak. An unbuffed Dunhere can kill 9 of the enemies with a single blow: 3x Eastern Crows, 3x Dul Guldur Orcs, 2x Goblin Sniper, and 1x Wolf Rider. If you give him a single Dunedain mark, he can kill 5 more with a single blow: 3x Misty Mountain Goblins and 2x Wargs.

Since the staging area can easily accumulate enemies, it is really great to have a way of killing off those nasty Goblin Snipers before they start wounding characters every turn.

IMO the 2nd stage of Down the Anduin is the best possible scenario for Dunhere. If you give him a Blade of Gondolin or two then he can help with putting down progress tokens whenever he kills enemies. Give him a copy of Unexpected Courage and he becomes a mean lean killing machine in that 2nd stage. He can *almost* single-handedly clear the staging area of enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
joefling34 wrote:

Dunhere is useful in the 2nd stage where you need 16 progress tokens, where an extra encounter card is drawn each turn, and the engagement check is skipped. Of the 20 enemy cards in the encounter deck only 3 are immune to an unbuffed Dunhere: Hill Toll x2 and Chieftan Ufthak. An unbuffed Dunhere can kill 9 of the enemies with a single blow: 3x Eastern Crows, 3x Dul Guldur Orcs, 2x Goblin Sniper, and 1x Wolf Rider. If you give him a single Dunedain mark, he can kill 5 more with a single blow: 3x Misty Mountain Goblins and 2x Wargs.

Since the staging area can easily accumulate enemies, it is really great to have a way of killing off those nasty Goblin Snipers before they start wounding characters every turn.

IMO the 2nd stage of Down the Anduin is the best possible scenario for Dunhere. If you give him a Blade of Gondolin or two then he can help with putting down progress tokens whenever he kills enemies. Give him a copy of Unexpected Courage and he becomes a mean lean killing machine in that 2nd stage. He can *almost* single-handedly clear the staging area of enemies.

This makes sense for the 2nd stage. But with Dunhere as a hero, I have never been able to kill the troll. So if I have Dunhere, what other two heroes do you suggest?

Also, just making sure im playing correctly, ranged CANNOT attack in the staging area correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
joefling34 wrote:
This makes sense for the 2nd stage. But with Dunhere as a hero, I have never been able to kill the troll. So if I have Dunhere, what other two heroes do you suggest?

I agree that Dunhere is not much help against the troll.

I like to have a very low starting threat for Anduin but I've seen very good players start with threats as high as 28 and 30. I don't think I'm a good enough player to start with that much threat.

I made a 2-core deck with Theodred, Eowyn. and Denethor for a starting threat of 25. My main weapon against the Troll was the Forest Snare but I also sneaked Gandalf and used the Galadhrim's Greeting to keep reducing my threat to give me time to build up an army of allies.

In general, it is good to have both Spirit and Leadership. You can then choose Lore, like I did, for a more defensive approach or Tactics if you want to be on the attack.

I haven't thought this all the way through but one simple approach would be to start with Dunhere, Denethor, and Theodred for a starting threat of only 24. The role of Theodred is to use his ability early on to generate extra resources. He is also there to get Steward of Gondor and Sneak Attack into play without having to wait for a Minstrel or a Song.

In the opening hand, you are looking for Galadhrim's Greeting or Forest Snare or Sneak Attack plus Gandalf. It's nice to get Steward of Gondor early but I think it is less important than the other cards I listed because of the extra resources generated by Theodred. If you don't see cards in your hand that will let you deal with the Troll (or delay things by lowering your threat) then take a mulligan.

If you are able to sneak Gandalf out early in the game, it is almost always best to use him for threat reduction. The idea is to give yourself enough time get get the allied army out and also to get a Forest Snare set for the troll. If you want to get fancy, include several copies of Son of Arnor so you can engage the troll during the planning phase and then immediately snare it before it has a chance to attack. I try to avoid using a speed-bump ally to block the troll because the extra threat often opens up the door for the other big baddies like the Beastmaster or Chieftan Ufthak.

Someone else recommended using Mirkwood Runner (which can ignore an enemy's [defense]) to pile up wounds on a snared Troll and then use Infighting to transfer those wounds to a big bad enemy in the staging area.

Another approach would be to use either 2 Lore heroes plus Dunhere or Dunhere and Eowyn plus one Lore hero. You would then have to rely on Minstrels and Songs to get leadership cards into play. I haven't tried it yet but this seems like it would be less reliable.

I often try to include a couple of copies of Beorn to be played via the spirit card Stand and Fight.

Quote:
Also, just making sure im playing correctly, ranged CANNOT attack in the staging area correct?

Correct. For solo play the normal uses of "ranged" and "sentinel" are meaningless. Right now, the only character who can attack in the staging area is Dunhere. You do want ranged characters to fight Blackforest Bats and Mirkwood Flock in A Journey to Rhosgobel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kinsey
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FINALLY! After 17 failed attempts, I managed a squeaker (49 threat in both purple and green) of a win. My wife stared at me as I did the mocking jig in my kitchen over the three Crebain Flocks I slew to finally escape this wretched adventure. Good enough for me, though I still struggle to understand how people beat this scenario 'regularly.' That said, It's time to move on to the Power 7 scenario (really? Anduin only rates a 4 out of 7? I shudder to imagine a 7...) and maybe even some expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.