Popular Tags: [View All]
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I recently realized that the rules have been updated a bit in the third edition. I've had a look at the pdf over at Rio Grandes homepage, and this is what I found:

1) Completed cities consisting of only 2 tiles now score 4 points, instead of 2.
2) Farms now score 3 points for each adjacent city, instead of 4.
3) Farms also score differently now: Each farm area/field is scored separately from other farms.

Is that it, or did I miss something?

As a side note; I originaly misread the 1ed rules for scoring farms, and have actually been scoring them in the "new" way all the time. I was made aware of this quite some time ago and have been comtemplating switching over to the official version, but always decided not to because "my" version was so much easier to use. Guess that little problem just solved itself

Edit: changed title
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First vs Third
Older Nick wrote:
So I recently realized that the rules have been updated a bit in the third edition. I've had a look at the pdf over at Rio Grandes homepage, and this is what I found:

1) Completed cities consisting of only 2 tiles now score 4 points, instead of 2.
2) Farms now score 3 points for each adjacent city, instead of 4.
3) Farms also score differently now: Each farm area/field is scored separately from other farms.

Is that it, or did I miss something?

As a side note; I originaly misread the 1ed rules for scoring farms, and have actually been scoring them in the "new" way all the time. I was made aware of this quite some time ago and have been comtemplating switching over to the official version, but always decided not to because "my" version was so much easier to use. Guess that little problem just solved itself

I'm a big fan of the newer scoring... I find the farm scoring much easier (the other way hurt my brain, I don't know why).

I'm a particularly big fan of the 2-point city rule. I like how it promotes going for larger cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the catapult is now mandatory; if you don't own a copy of Carcassonne: Expansion 7 – The Catapult, you may substitute Tiddledy Winks instead.

Other than that, you've covered all of the changes (barring a lot of weird interactions between expansions). Just IMO, I never played with pre-3rd edition rules, and I can't see the appeal of the old farming rules. The small cities, maybe, since they also contribute to massive farms, but I can't see a two-point difference being that big a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah salvione
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb

I am still trying to wrap my head fully around this new scoring. Would you be able to explain the scoring for farms for me?

thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.