Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asdrubael Vect
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We had an argument on this BUT i think i'm correct not the OL..so eg.when a wizard casts a blast spell on an EMPTY SQUARE and the blast radius affects any nearby monsters,these monsters CANNOT DODGE AT ALL because of the OL card which reads 'Play after a hero has attacked A MONSTER. The MONSTER(NOT PLURAL again)dodges the attack.'.ps.note that the hero didn't attack any MONSTER-S-target that turn(the floor is dodging??wtf???).say your opinionsninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
They can dodge, as they are attacked by the burst.

The ruling that you cannot dodge as you attacked a square seems rules-lawyery at best, and something else at worst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Shropshire
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the monsters are in the blast zone then they are being attacked. They should be able to dodge using that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, ALL attacks target a SPACE, not a figure. Base rules, page 9:

Quote:
Step 1: Declare Attack
The attacking player declares which space his figure is attacking. If the attacking figure is a hero, the player must also state which equipped weapon the hero is using. Heroes can only attack with an equipped weapon (or their fists, see “Unarmed Attacks,” page 19). For more information on the types of attacks heroes and monsters can make, see “Types of Attacks,” page 11. Note that the attacking player designates a space to attack and not necessarily another figure. This is important for weapons with the Blast ability. See pages 22 and 23 for a summary of special abilities, including Blast.

You never directly target a figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asdrubael Vect
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanx man this is the BEST answer of all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asdrubael Vect
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stop crying dude.i'm not trolling.you said something about rule-lawyering etc. we play the game based on the rules.we are here to help each other.don't be rude.i was the 1st to remove my old post.I AM NOT A TROLL thanx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asdrubael Vect
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to ALL fans of descent out there;i do not accept offensive answers.thanx.only answers based on the rules.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try not to cry, but it will be ever so difficult when I have to listen to people like you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, when dodging an AOE, only one figure needs to dodge, and then the entire attack is considered "dodged." For example, the OL plays a Dodge card because that Beastman is in the blast radius, the OL will make the attacker reroll whichever dice he wants and it affects the entire attack, not just the portion of the blast that hit the Beastman. Only one dodge can be played though, even though the Sorcerer is also in the blast radius.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asdrubael Vect
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
u continue to attack so u r the troll.IGNORED

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asdrubael Vect
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanx mate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember - if you see something you want to react negatively to, flag it and forget it.

Using the icon serves two functions - first, if enough users flag a post then it will be collapsed from general view. Second, flagging posts helps bring them to the attention of the forum moderators.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
And yes, they can dodge. It works exactly as shnar states.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asdrubael Vect
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanx again,i know.i've already done this.cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hubenig
msg tools
mb
Gregaria wrote:

The ruling that you cannot dodge as you attacked a square seems rules-lawyery at best, and something else at worst.

Do not be so nasty, its a legit question, dosn't sound rules lawyeree or gamey at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Dywnarc wrote:
Gregaria wrote:

Do not be so nasty, its a legit question, dosn't sound rules lawyeree or gamey at all.

I agree with the "Do not be nasty", but I disagree with you on the "doesn't sound rules lawyeree". Good intentions or not, using the logic of "you are attacking the floor, not a monster" is a bit rules-lawyery. IE, trying to say that monsters can only dodge if a monster was at the center of the blast, but not if the center was empty space is a bit gamey.

Of course, in games, that could still be the "intent" or official answer. In this case it happens not to be. But for me, rules-lawyering is, in situations like this, where you try to bend the rules to favor a specific interpretation unfairly and/or arbitrarily.

I don't think using the term "rules lawyery" is necessarily nasty. It usually just means an overthought bit of rules logic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asdrubael Vect
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man it's NOT rules-lawyery,because i didn't remember THAT rule.Ok?We are people NOT machines and we are making some mistakes.We built up this forum JUST to HELP each other NOT attacking.I'm always trying to do my BEST to keep up with the RULES.So,don't be so malicious about NICE players of a HARD game.Thanx for ALL the replies.POST ENDS HERE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asdrubael Vect
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And i would be ok if it meant an overthought bit of rules logic BUT it was a nasty meaningless attack('seems rules-lawyery at best, and something else at worst.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
You should probably read my post again; I wasn't attacking anyone, least of all you. The term "rules lawyery" is aimed at the interpretation, not the person, and even then it wasn't meant as an insult or derogatory remark - just a statement.

I understand the rule was misremembered; that's fine. But it still boils down to the interpretation being used was based on "how can I exploit this", even if it was a bona fide effort to be accurate. In this case, it came to splitting the hairs between attacking a space with a monster and one without a monster, and whether it can be dodged. Rules Lawyery interpretations often come from situations where a player (or players) try to introduce exceptions to more general rules that benefit them based on their own interpretation of the rules, in many cases by focusing too much on a particular phrase. (In this case, "attacking a monster").

Again, that doesn't mean you were trying to cheat; rules lawyering is NOT the same a cheating in many instances. It just means you were (for whatever reason) trying to interpret rules to your own benefit.

I don't know what Gregaria's intent was, and I'm not going to try and speak to whether his initial comment was an attack or not. I'm simply talking about the use of the term "Rules Lawyer" and why (attack or not), that part at least isn't that far off the mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asdrubael Vect
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok dude..BUT if i was trying to interpret the rules to MY OWN benefit,as you say,I AM A CHEATER. so,what i'm trying to say is that it was a mistake,nothing more nothing less(no 'cheater' is in the way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
No harm, no foul. Let's all go play some games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.