Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first entered into the modern boardgaming hobby I purchased two games - Ticket to Ride and Memoir '44. My first plays of Memoir '44 as a new gamer fell flat. I actually sold the game. Then, after gaining Eurogmaing experience, I played a game of Battlelore with a friend. I loved it and began to explore the system. I repurchased Memoir '44 and had a blast playing it, even solo. I also played it with my 8 year old daughter and found that my wife liked it too. Eventually, I began to become more interested in wargaming and moved on to more complex/traditional wargames. I then began to view Memoir somewhat like a Grognard snob - too simple, not realistic, etc. Recently, I came back to the system and played the campaign game in the first book (a new book is coming). I loved it, had a blast. Then I recently had my brother-in-law over to introduce him to gaming. I played Kingsburg to give him the taste of Euros and also Memoir. He liked the former, but he loved the latter. My brother-in-law wants to play more.

Finally, today I played my first wargame with my 5 year old son - it was Memoir '44. I just used the little general rules (no special cards - just sections) and used no terrain rules. I let him deploy as he pleased. We used the proper rules for range, line of sight, movement and attack dice. He could understand it all and played it. He loved it. He won his first allied victory - see picture below.

This is why I still love Memoir. There are so many new ways to enjoy it (i.e. the campaign book, winter wars, etc.) so I keep coming back. It is a great gateway game into wargaming (my own experience and my brother-in-law). It is also a game you can play with your kids.

Today, I am a happy and proud dad! Here's my little general celebrating his victory:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congrats to the young Commander! I love memoir for the same reasons. It is fun and accessible. It plays quickly. Its strategic but with enough luck that a good player can still manage to lose. I can play it with ANY of my gamer buddies, my wife and my kids. Its my favorite game.

I wish you many happy and satisfying losses to your young son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My six year old really loves this game, although I think I like it more than he does I've had a couple of his older friends (8 yrs) come over from church, and they absolutely love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
I just used the little general rules (no special cards - just sections) and used no terrain rules. I let him deploy as he pleased. We used the proper rules for range, line of sight, movement and attack dice. He could understand it all and played it. He loved it. He won his first allied victory - see picture below.

Way cool!

Gotta try that with my 5 year old. Is that an official variant or something that just worked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
atsgamer wrote:
I just used the little general rules (no special cards - just sections) and used no terrain rules. I let him deploy as he pleased. We used the proper rules for range, line of sight, movement and attack dice. He could understand it all and played it. He loved it. He won his first allied victory - see picture below.

Way cool!

Gotta try that with my 5 year old. Is that an official variant or something that just worked?

It's a official. It's in the back of the rulebook if I remember correctly.

I play with full rules with my six year old. I just taught him the cards by sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Johnston
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game too but have a hard time getting folks to play. I am hoping my 6 year old will give it a go with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Tremble
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does it get any better ? Gaming with your kids & their friends ... even the wife !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.