Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After only a few games, the labels on my blocks started showing a lot of wear. For a long time I assumed I must have taken them on a long car trip, during which they were being shaken around & rubbing against each other. Only recently did it occur to me that, when shuffling the replacement pool every game year, they're laid face-down on a table or in the box and slid around for a while, & that's probably what messed them up.

So if you shuffle your blocks that way, you might make sure you're using a soft tablecloth or something. (To be really cool, get a couple of cloth rectangles, one red, one blue, and store them in the game box.) I wish I'd thought of that sooner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lund
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go a step further and upgrade the two cloth rectangles to opaque bags. Then you can just pluck from the bag, no sliding necessary. Although the English player will have to count the red blocks before plucking the levy. And there will be shaking. Shaking! That can't be good for wooden blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought--would it be feasible to spray a couple of coats of polyurethane on them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I wish I'd thought of polyurethane too!

Bags would be cool, except that people wouldn't be able to not shake them.

To solve the how-many-English-are-in-the-bag problem, how about individual little block socks. (Or I guess "Block Booties(TM).") When a unit dies, just slip it back in one of the anonymous socklets. (Or "sockettes?") For storage/travel, the nobles get their own distinctive socks with their coat of arms embroidered on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I took up a suggestion (made elsewhere in these forums) of spraying mine with Krylon Matte finish for protection. Although I don't get to play HotS as much as I might like, there's no obvious wear, and the look of the matte on an otherwise-shiny block is kinda neat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.