Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a simple poll, please leave politics and legal speculation out of it. Feel free to give your reasons below.

Poll
Which company would you prefer to produce the new version of Merchant of Venus?
Fantasy Flight Games
Stronghold Games
      493 answers
Poll created by Smilinbrax
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
poll is missing the 3rd option... neither (none of the above)... I still have a spare copy of the original AH... can only hope legal issues will hold up the reprint for years to come
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
please leave politics and legal speculation out of it. Feel free to give your reasons below.

Are there any reasons beyond politics and legal speculation?

My vote is that they work to resolve it amicably and allow a reprint to go forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
This poll seems to just want to divide fans further on the issue. The reprint will be printed by someone, and most of us will buy it no matter who that someone that publishes it is. Can we not just leave it alone until then or, in the very least, until we have information beyond speculation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
This poll seems to just want to divide fans further on the issue. The reprint will be printed by someone, and most of us will buy it no matter who that someone that publishes it is. Can we not just leave it alone until then or, in the very least, until we have information beyond speculation?

This poll is only divisive if there is not a majority opinion one way or the other. This is what I want to see.

As for what reason other than politics and legal? Personal preference. I am familiar with both companys' games and prefer Stronghold based on their current body of work vs. that of FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My choice is "the version produced by the actual owner of the rights".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure there is a point to this poll.

Whomever has the Rights to the game has the Rights and that's that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
poll is missing the 3rd option... neither (none of the above)... I still have a spare copy of the original AH... can only hope legal issues will hold up the reprint for years to come

Yeah, screw everyone else...

Personally - I don't care which company reprints it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
I'm not sure there is a point to this poll.

Whomever has the Rights to the game has the Rights and that's that.

Has there been a point to any of the threads on the subject? Its not like any of us are going to resolve this, unless we're lawyers for FFG/Stronghold/Hasbro/Hamblen. 4 days ago there was no reprint and everyone accepted the status quo. Now there's 2 potential reprints and all it seems anyone can do is try to yell loudly why one company or the other is right or will do a better job. Me, I'm going to just let it play out and hope that we get a quality product from somebody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this from the Department of Redundancy Department?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this poll supposed to give a different answer to this one.
*shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really vote...I have an AH version plus a home made Dathkadan set. If the FF version is missing 2 of the races then I won't be buying it since it's not a complete game. MoV is a complete game and doesn't need any expansions to make it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no preference, I would simply like one MoV please. Each company will bring their own take to it, and seeing as how I've played the original once (I enjoyed it, but it didn't blow my mind like it seems to have done to most...) I'm pretty sure I'll get the same general "feel" of the game no matter who does it. I enjoy the chrome of FFG, and I also enjoy the classic look of the chit style games. I would honestly enjoy either version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

Why? This is a great opportunity for other gamers to get a copy of a great game. Quite possibly, it'll be the best it will ever look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fash
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of being chaotic good... I would definitely want a copy by Stronghold. They bought the rights from the designer, while FFG bought from what is (sadly) the likely legal rights holder. An intellectual property should stay with its creator -- especially if they never officially sold it. Regardless of the law.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
poll is missing the 3rd option... neither (none of the above)...

Yep should include
None of the above (don't want one)
I have already got one (i.e. AH edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt Internet petitions will have much weight beside legal rights and sunk costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

Yep should include

Cool, so now I can ask both of you. Why not "I don't care," instead of "No?"

Why does it matter that other gamers get a chance to get a version of a good game hot off the presses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Schwanewede
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i would probably get both. The pimped up fantasy flight version, and the classic from stronghold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably go more with the classic...that way I know what ruleset is being used at the conventions' 'Merchant of Venus' tournament.

The FF version sounds like a mechanics' retheme-fest, which I'm positive will only serve to confuse people. Perhaps you should go for 'Merchant of Mercury' instead, Fantasy Flight...then both can print the 'original' and updated-without-input-from-the-original-designer version cleanly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knaves wrote:
Why is this poll supposed to give a different answer to this one.
*shrug*

I hadn't noticed the other poll, or I would not have posted this one. this one does have the advantages and diadvantages of being a forced choice poll, so you don't have to deal with non answers in the form of neither or both. It gets people who want to respond to make a real choice. It also gets more complaints.

Thinking a poll can "divide" people is a bit silly, especially here. A poll simply reflects what the readership are thinking. The data can be spun however you want, including claiming it is dividing people. What I see as the divisive issue is that two companies want to publish the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
jakal323 wrote:
Karlsen wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

Yep should include

Why does it matter that other gamers get a chance to get a version of a good game hot off the presses?

I don't care, is similar to "None of the above" as far as I am concerned. If people do care they have choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
jakal323 wrote:
Karlsen wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

Yep should include

I don't care, is similar to "None of the above" as far as I am concerned. If people do care they have choices.

Yes, without one of those options, this poll is almost worthless to me.

You can't say 'a majority thinks this' from the poll. Without an option for no preference, for all anyone knows from the poll results, 70% don't care who publishes it (either don't participate or pick one even though their true answer is 'no preference' leading to an inaccurate result) and 20% prefer one publisher and 10% the other publisher.

Because of that, the results are not going very useful for anything but determining what those with a preference think; not what people interested in the game in general think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
Because of that, the results are not going very useful for anything but determining what those with a preference think; not what people interested in the game in general think.

I think the results are very interesting, especially when compared with the other poll. while you may nto have any use for it, I do. The other poll has roughly 2:1 stronghold vs. FFG with a bunch of other options for people to commit in there.

My poll is a much closer race. Assuming this is an unbiased sample, which it is not (it's a poll on a gaming website that can only be accessed under the game in question) one could make a lot of guesses about the data.

I have no real interest in the opinions of those who have no opinion. The wait and see crowd, the I don't know crowd, or the I don't care crowd. Ultimately it won't matter to them. If/when the game is released they get what they get.

I am very interested in what those who do have an opinion think. Thusd the poll as forrced choice.

So back to the data. Having no way to prove or disprove this, I will put forth my theory. For gamers who are interested enough in games to go to Board Game Geek and are interested in MOV encough to have gone to the game page and clicked on a poll, they are split roughly 3:2 against FFG in my poll. When given an "out" (i.e. no forced choice) this changes to 2:1 against FFG. My theory is that those who want a Stronghold version of the game are much more definite about wanting Stronghold to do it than those who want an FFG version of the game. I am guessing that FFG picked up more noncommitted folks who were willing to commit enough to click on the poll instead of ignore it.

That being said, the problems with comparing these two polls are legion (including among other things sample size and, no guarantee that a person who completes one poll also completes the other) so I may be shooting in the dark. I still find it very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
My answer is the same it was in the first poll. "I'm going to wait and see before making my decision."

With "wait and see" basically = I'll buy the copy from whatever company ends up manufacturing it.

I already own an original game (bought the year it came out from a FLGS, back when that was mostly the only way you could get it outside of ordering direct from AH - I think I got it for 20something dollars or so, which was a LOT of money for a flat piece game like this back then).

I'd like a newer pimped out updated version, whichever company makes it.

I believe both companies acted in the manner in which they believe was legal and correct (even though they both made mistakes here, I don't think there was anything nefarious or underhanded going on from either company, or the designer, they all did what they believe was right).

Both companies will give royalties to Hamblen, so that's not a factor.

Right now (this week) representatives and lawyers from each company are calling and faxing and emailing what they have to back up their side of the matter. The fans are crossing their fingers that this won't wind up in court and legal limbo for months. At this point, it'll just be which company "loses".

Our opinion on what version or company means exactly nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.