Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes is an excellent family game. It is simple to learn, although non-gamers might have some difficulty without a gamer to help them. The theme is strong and there is enough luck (many say too much luck) for everyone to have a chance at winning.

I thought this was a game that my children, ages 10 and 8, would enjoy, so we set down after soccer practice this afternoon to give it a go. When introducing a game to the children, I try to keep the explanation as short as possible and explain things as we go along. in this case, we talked about the 4 possible actions and I talked about the face up cards. As special cards and exhibitions were turned up, I explained those cards in more detail. My wife joined us and we set out on a 4 player adventure.

As typical, the first several weeks were spent gaining knowledge, then the intrepid archaeologists headed to out dig site to search for treasure and glory. Instead of glory, most of what was found was dirt, lots and lots of dirt. The first few digs were mostly unsuccessful.

Undaunted, the archaeologists returned to Europe for further research and armed themselves with better equipment and more assistants to help with the dig. Near the end of the year, a few digs proved more successful and everyone regrouped in Europe for a final big push the final year.

The final year saw one wildly successful dig (mine) and a couple of disasters (wife and son). Everyone took time off from the dig sites to return to Europe and display their finds at noted exhibitions. The Conferences were mostly ignored in favor of more digging.

After two years, the scores were added up. Final Scores: Me 54 (artifacts 46, exhibition 4, conference 1 special knowledge 3). Daughter 41 (Artifacts 23, exhibition 4, conf. 1 Special Knowledge 13).
Son 35 (artifacts 26, exhibitions 4, special knowledge 5). Wife 28 (Artifacts 12, exhibition 5, conf. 6, knowledge 5.)

The really good dig for me and the two bad digs for my wife and son proved to be the difference in the game. The kids had no problem understanding the game and it played in about 75 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Thebes! Glad to hear that your kids understood and liked it. Your post has convinced me to introduce it to my niece and nephew who are 13.

Thanks for the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
zuzusdad wrote:
I love Thebes! Glad to hear that your kids understood and liked it. Your post has convinced me to introduce it to my niece and nephew who are 13.

Thanks for the post.

They shouldn't have any problem playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.