Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eigen
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know that a lot of people have a preference of which colour they play with, and others will just take whatever's left (even if they'd prefer to play as yellow etc).

My question is, if you have a colour you like to play as, do you HAVE to play as that colour? And why do you like it?

I pretty much always play as red, but don't care if I can't, not because it's my favourite colour, just so that I never have to think "what colour am I?", and no one else likes red...

Just curious.
If I have used too many 'u's, I'm sorry :p

Poll
You MUST choose first.
Red
Yellow
Green
Blue
      210 answers
Poll created by Eigen

Assume these are the only 4 colours available.
Poll
Why do you play with a specific colour?
It's my favourite colour.
I always play as this colour.
Otherwise, I move the wrong pieces.
It reminds me of something.
It's Jim's favourite. I hate Jim.
Other reason that OP was too simple to think of.
I don't play as a specific colour.
      218 answers
Poll created by Eigen

By popular demand:
Poll
What is your favourite playing colour?
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Black
White
Grey
Tan
Pink
Other
I don't have one
      163 answers
Poll created by Eigen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Favourite playing colours- why?
The core of my playing friends have a "favorite" color. I use yellow all the time. This is just because you grow used to playing pieces in your color. If I play with another group, and yellow is played by another player, I always try to move the wrong pieces.

And beside that, I think that yellow is a cool color cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple if it's an option, because I like the color. Otherwise any color is fine (though there are some color I associate with certain people, so I sometimes forget I'm that color).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polgara wrote:
Purple if it's an option, because I like the color. Otherwise any color is fine (though there are some color I associate with certain people, so I sometimes forget I'm that color).
I like the non standard color if available but I don't really care. My buddy is an always blue guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
School house colour - yellow - so natural association with home-feelings but readily play with all colours as required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Only when I play Galaxy Trucker ..
Really not sure why, but I always use the RED crew cabin kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my Favorite Color list with Color - Reason - Circumstances given.

Orange - Beacause I love the Dutch in Colonization, the Guild in Dune, New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad in 1830, and this color reminds me of those entities - In the most game that it is included.

Black - Beacuse it's of timeless beauty and somewhat evil looking and I always defended the Ural in Risk when playing with Black - In the most games that it is included and no Orange is present

Red - Because it's the color of the British Army and I like to hum Britannia Rule the Waves when defeating my opponents - In any historically themed game that includes (or could include) the Britons.

Lavender - Because of the silly name - In Cosmic Encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to play blue when I can since it's my favorite color. In the one group I play in though, I'm usually green, while the other two are red and blue. The other person gets blue because usually it's his house and games we're playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
I go for yellow simply because with my red-green color blindness, it's the easiest color for me to pick out. I can certainly be flexible, but then I try to avoid blues, purples, and reds because I mix them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play blue since it is my favorite color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play yellow.

The main reason is that I play most games at the kitchen table, and the lighting condition were such that I was always confusing green and blue. Most other players did not have that problem. There was one girl who was always playing with us and she preferred red, so I defaulted to yellow. And I am now so attuned to that color that I make mistakes when I play a different one.

In the meantime I have replaced the lights in my kitchen and the green/blue problem is not so prevalent anymore. But I stick with yellow. A friend of mine also prefers yellow, and if we are both in a game and we have enough color picks, we simply leave yellow out so that nobody makes wrong-color mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As all of the games my group plays are bought by me, I decide what color I am first There are a few guys in the group who steadfastly won't play as red, just because of the connection to some english football clubs...

I play as black or pink when available, just because I like those colors. If they aren't available, I don't really care.

However I won't play brown or orange. Those are second class colors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Willberg
Finland
Vaasa
flag msg tools
The moon bearing the image of the desert kangaroo mouse, Muad'dib.
badge
The planet Arrakis, known as Dune.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play blue if its a choice. Everyone I play with is aware of this and leaves blue to me.

Easier to identify my own pieces since I'm so used to it. Don't know how or when this started though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple > Cyan > Pink > Blue > White > Yellow > Green > Black > Orange > Red > Gray > Brown

I don't get upset if I don't get my most preferred colour, but I do have fairly exhaustive preferences. I can't find any more specific reason than just "personal taste."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Colourblind - so I choose yellow, it's the easiest colour to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
No preference. Although in a certain group I had a habit of quickly trying to grab the red pieces if possible, because another player always wanted to play with that colour
I wouldn't do that with all players, but that particular player had a preference for games where one could hinder other players' strategies or otherwise annoy them. Therefore I found it all right to annoy him a bit before the start of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick a color unless you want to hear "What color are you?" every scoring....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orange - always
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
I usually play red, my partner plays yellow, G plays green and blue is usually left for the 4th player

We aren't fussy about the colours we play we are just used to playing those colours and I find if I am playing a differet colour I still keep trying to move red.
With us all sticking to colours it makes it easier when you are anaylsisng the board i.e green is strong, G is likely to play like this so I can stop him this way. changing colours means you have to keep asking who is who

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dyer
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite color to use is green but unfortunately there is a large number of people I play with who also prefer green so we tend to 'fight'
over it. Red has become my secondary color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nickerson
Canada
Fort St John
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If pink is an available color, I will take it, though it usually isn't an available color. This dates back to my early years of playing risk in the mid 90's, it seemed when I played as pink I won more often so I always ended up taking it after a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Black for me, if it's available. Generally, though, I'll let everyone else pick first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colors I like - black, white, blue, red, purple, natural, turquoise

Colors I dislike - yellow, green, brown

Color I hate - orange

I wish more board games would come with non-standard colors instead of blue, red, yellow, green.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group seems to try to stay close to the same colors as we can. Tim = Blue, Bill = Yellow, Stephen = Green, Ronson = Purple or Black. We never argue over a color and we know what each other is doing at all times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin
Australia
Murrumbeena
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think I particularly minded which colour I played, but around six months ago I noticed that I had a tendency to move the blue pieces regardless of whichever colour I was actually playing. Now I insist on playing with blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |