Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question regarding Starting Manoeuvre power. Does anybody know if this manoeuvre counts as an additional one, or does it take place instead of the one at the end of turn? If it is additional, can it be purchased multiple times to make multiple starting manoeuvres?

This is what the manual reads regarding purchasing powers:

'You may buy as many of these as you want at the start of your turn (troops permitting) or you may save them to use on a later turn. You may buy the same thing more than once.'

And regarding the power:

Starting Manoeuvre. Cost = 3: Make an immediate manoeuvre with troops on the board.

However, in the 'Ending Your Turn' sheet, manoeuvre troops section, it says: You can make one manoeuvre per turn.

The way I see it, it seems like you could buy this power up to four times, thus allowing you to make four manoeuvres before you start attacking. This feels a bit overpowered to me, and it also go against the limit of one manoeuvre per turn.

How are you playing this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your interpretation is correct. Buy and use as many times as you want (and can afford) at the start of your turn. You still get your standard final manuveur at the end of the turn.

I've only played a couple of times but this didn't seem like a broken ability by any means. I remember more troops, airfield, and better attacks vs. rough terrain seeming like the most valuable things to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be right. I was checking the instructions manual for Risk 2008 (aka Risk Revised) and when you complete an objective you receive an award. One of these awards grants you a starting manoeuver additional to your end of turn manouver (It specifies it is additional), and another award gives you an additional end of turn manoeuver, so in theory you can have 3 total manouvers on your turn given you control both awards.

After reading that, and seeing your points, it makes sense to me that the designers did intend to allow the players to make multiple manoeuvers on their turns if they can afford it. However, you are also right that extra troops or the airfield would be a better option if you have several troops in your chart.

Thanks for your answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.