Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently there has been stirrings in the Weird West in the heart of Mother Lode country (read Sacramento, California). We had an inaugural throwdown in October and reconvened this past weekend at www.greatescapegames.com/. Players are:

RichC, ZacS, DanO, and Davido. MikeZ is also part of the DoomSac posse, but couldn't catch the Coach coming to Town in time to make it over. I'll recap the games I played in:

1) my Sioux shooter vs Rich's Maze Rats Chop-fooey dudes (Iron Dragon home).
I started off good w/ Tioga Joe stoker vs. Knicknevin to take out Master Chan. Always a good preemptive move against that sort of deck. Then I chickened out refusing to cheat and lost Tioga Joe w/ my Full House to a 5 of a kind. Cheatin' would have closed the gap. My Medicine was strong, to keep the fight going, but Rich was able to grind out the win.

2) Four way bike action:

me: Flock
rich: maze rats iron dragon
Dan: Black Jacks
Zach: rangers

Rich started off aggressive to counter the black jack boot n buy dudes strategy.
Dan weathered the storm.
Zach got in on the action.

I brought out Wrath and buffed up Miss Lily.

Lily and Envy went out and started holding a revival in the town square. Lily exorcised Si Quan (?) and with a KC pull banished the stiff for good.
Blackjack came over to show who was boss. Envy stood between BJ and Lily and Lily's snakes (Snake Handlin') soaked up BJ's bullets. A DHJ sent BJ home in a pine box. Of course, if BlackJack brought along some help, Envy would have put BJ back on the sidelines.
Another shootout, another DHJ vs. the Rangers and the ladies were taking names and numbers big time.
The girls went out to protect the King Willy's Mother Lode. Good thing, as Katie Karl came over to assert the Ranger's rights. More snakes and a bad draw by Katie and she too was pushin' up daisys.
At this point, Rich was definitely out of it, and despite some influence, Zach was hanging on by a thread. In the end, it came down to Dan's Jacks grinding out control for the Win.

This was a fun matchup as everyone got a chance to shine.

3) my Sioux shooter again vs. Dan's Lost Angels.
This was a cheesey deck as Dan used Christopher hill to do the hoary puppet/shadow man combo. Deluge leeched off of that to double the fun. Turns out the gimmick is that the puppets feed lilith to bring her back.
So my 2nd turn massacre found Dan w/ enough GR to send everyone but Lilith to the town square. Lilith took one for the team (see above). Oh, and with Tioga Joe once again gone and Wise Cloud puppeted, I folded. I need to look into invisibility, false face, and other ways to counter hex takeover decks.

overall a fun day, and I learned some more DT tricks.
See ya all in December as we plan to meet again at Great Escape on 12/3/2011. The theme: Bring a New Deck to try

PS: Always bring a Bicycle (deck) as we favor those for multiplayer.

Interested Drifters can ping me here on BGG. We also hang out on:

http://gamesmeister.com/doomtown/index.php
Ping:
Davido
Jordan Caldwell
Rich Carter

for more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I ask why you prefer bicycle for multiplayer? Trying to build some decks for the first time, with an eye on 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jr. Cukingnan
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Duck + Hat = Duck Hat
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, is there some sort of recommended amount of card types per deck? For example, always putting in say, 15 dudes, or X number of deeds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosine has written some excellent articles on BGG about deck composition, but they're mainly for non-bicycle decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some quick answers:

1. You only need 1/card and there is an art to 'degenerating' a bike deck (e.g. thinning the deck out to say draw to a straight flush) or to leaving the modifier cards in the deck (e.g. "Luck of the Draw", "Ace in the Hole", and other hand rank modifiers) that are huge in bicycle.

2. Not knowing that you are going to be drawing say a full house or 4 of a kind adds a bit of stochasticity that rachets up the tension.

With bicycle, deck composition is at one level straightforward-one of each suit/value. That said, Cosine's overviews are still valid.

you want dudes with influence and minimal upkeep. At the start, upkeep is more important than cost. I follow the general guidelines of leaving at least one GR available so I don't have to borrow for lowball. Try to make at least 2 GR per turn, so that you can pay for lowball and still make some GR. My ideal starting posse:

5 dudes, 4-6 influence, 0 upkeep.
1 upkeep needs to be a key to your deck. My Sioux deck runs Wise Cloud XP as he starts w/ Shaman 3 and is easily boosted to 4-5. The 1 GR upkeep is justified by pulling Rain Dance as the first 'gopher' w/ the original home and now I can make 5 GR/turn, and use say Billy Iron Horse to go fishin' for me.

One dude should be a stud w/ 2 bullets or easily boosted to 2-4 bullets.
Deck should have 15-20 total influence

Deeds: aim for a mix of production and control. The deeds that do both are expensive to bring in, so a mix of control only, or cheap to play income generators (e.g. 0/+1 strikes) help get the rock flowing. I tend to aim for 10-15 control.

Goods/actions as support your strategy-shootin, castin, maneuvering, etc. Most of what Cosine has written does have some relevance to bicycle-e.g. do you want to shoot, avoid shooting, maneuver, hose others maneuvers, etc.

Nothing new here, but solid time test guidelines that you can vary as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Encrypted Toast
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Love it that session replays are still being posted on this great game

Thanks for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.