Subject: Why BoB? #4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
#4 Suppression

Since Band of Brothers doesn't use the break/good order mechanic, what does it do instead?

A unit does NOT take a Morale check because of fire. Effective fire (that is not successful enough to yield casualties) results in Suppression. Suppression can accumulate and lowers the Morale of a unit. Once a unit is fully Suppressed, another Suppression result doesn't hurt it any more. Morale checks are not taken until the unit attempts to do something (like move or fire) and Suppression wears off naturally over time.

The benefits of this mechanic are:

- Neither player knows how a unit will respond until it is asked to do something.

- Players don't shoot at units that are fully Suppressed and, in some circumstances, will not even fire at a unit that has been Suppressed one time. That fire needs to be put on other enemy units in order to limit their effectiveness.

- Suppression accumulates on a position easily. It is therefore in your best interest to realistically spread out your troops, especially since each unit fires separately (units do not combine fire). It simply does not make sense to jam 45 men, your best leader, and your best support weapons into a 40 yard hex (a WWI density).

- I believe that the system simply represents what I have read in books and heard from WW2 veterans about the general flow of a fire fight (more on casualties in a future post).

- It eliminates the limitation of the "two discreet states" that a unit can be in.

The pre-order price is still available at

http://www.worthingtongames.com/detailbob.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,

Will there be a player aid listing all the instances of when Morale and Proficiency Checks must be taken. The rules aren't difficult but it'd be nice to have a chart or list that summarizes the actions that need checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why the game interests me and made me pre-order so long ago. It certainly is a different take on the WWII tactical level game. I'm interest to see how it plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Perni
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very interesting mechanics!
This alone is worth a try to me, going to preorder right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
This is the player aid card:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/69989/player-aid-card

Basically, if a unit wants to do ANYTHING it has to take a morale check. This is not a problem for an unsuppressed, full strength squad because their morale will be 10. You don't need to roll the dice because it is an automatic pass.

The player aid card lets you know when you have to take a proficiency check instead of a morale check. (more on that later)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks!

POSSIBLE ERROR: Did I see that on the Player Aid, Guns and Vehicles count against 2 Command uses while in the rules it says they count for 3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Yes, it should be three. It actually says three on the back of the card, but two on the front. I will send a note to WG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've just been perusing the game details since you posted under "cross promotion" on the Space Empires: 4X forum and I think this looks really intriguing.

Does Worthington have any plans to bring this to the iPad or PC in the future, or is it way too soon to tell?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Way too early to tell, but a Vassal module is in the works. Bob, I should thank you for getting me started in Vassal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds great and you're welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.