England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel will be produced in 2012 by Sir Chester Cobblepot.

The agreement with the Italian production studio was signed during the international game fair of Essen, Germany, and it should grant a version with some improvements than the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Letters fron Whitechapel - 2nd Edition
Sounds interesting, what improvements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gertz
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently he wasn't killed while looking for One Eyed Willy's treasure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is he related to The Penquin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Chester Cobblepot
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
Dear Gentlemen,
what a big surprise to see how good news travel fast.

Yes, I can confirm that I'm working on Whitechapel, to get you a new edition that worths to be waited. I already know what kind of things I would like to change, but as a good gentleman I cannot refuse your suggestions about.

So, I ask you, what kind of changes will you hope to get in this new edition?
For which changes can I be derided?

Please, feel free to write me your deep thoughts here or at mine email address, info@sirchestercobblepot.com.

It will be my pleasure to evaluate your opinions.
Thank you very much for your attention.

Your new friend,
Sir Chester Cobblepot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an excellent game.

DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!

(ok, maybe change the clear plastic chips to green or blue but don't change anything else.)

Thanks for listening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer6 wrote:
It's an excellent game.

DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!

(ok, maybe change the clear plastic chips to green or blue but don't change anything else.)

Thanks for listening.

The only change I'm looking for is to find it in stock at my favorite retailer Changing the clear chips to blue sounds good too though, conjures images of law enforcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite fond of the game as it is. But whatever changes to end up appearing in the 2nd edition, I hope there'll be a way for us first-editioners to "upgrade" without having to buy the game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Dizzy wrote:
I'm quite fond of the game as it is. But whatever changes to end up appearing in the 2nd edition, I hope there'll be a way for us first-editioners to "upgrade" without having to buy the game again.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lange
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would propose that you read the discussions in this forum, if you have not already done so, especially those concerning Jack's strategy possibilties and variants that favor the police, since for some players the game appears to favor Jack a lot. Some of these variants (in addition to the variants already published in teh FAQ) could be added to an extended variant section of the rulebook, or even taken over as official rules, with the old rules being variants then. I think the reason why some players think the game is too easy for Jack and others don't is that they play the game in a different style. Especially those who have done an in-depth examination of Jack's possibilities (which is certainly not done by a "normal" player) have found Jack-strategies which seem to make it very hard for the police to win, and they would like to have the rules balance this out, rather than having to introduce home-rules. Of course there has also been much discussion whether these strategies can be countered by the police in some way, taking away their effectiveness, but I suggest you get a picture of these discussions yourself.

Just to outline some of the variants which have been discussed here, I personally always play with the following 3 variants, and like the game much that way, but I know that we all have different preferences:
1) Police can also move 3 squares without any investigation or arrest as a third option (variant from FAQ)
2) Jack cannot have a wretched start on a square on which in a previous night a wretched started that he killed eventually (this reduces Jack's possibilities to distribute the wretched night after night). We play this variant in addition to the rule that he cannot move a wretched onto a previous kill location.
3) Let time start on V and move it to the right in the "hell" phase. Jack cannot get home before the move made on "1".

Variants 2) and 3) especially have done a great job in my experience to prevent abusive "Jack-short-night"-strategies. To be honest, I did not see the issues of such strategies, but when I read the articles here about them, I saw the potential, so I started using these variants. Still I think they should be variants, not new rules, since many gamers seem to like the game as it is.

Furthermore, there are two things which require clarification in my opinion:
1) The board map should be corrected to point out very clearly if boxes are connected or not, see thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/639558/police-intersecti...

2) The rules do not clearly state how to handle the play order for the police in game with less than 6 players, see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/661610/player-order-for-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cowles
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
granadino_aleman wrote:

1) Police can also move 3 squares without any investigation or arrest as a third option (variant from FAQ)
2) Jack cannot have a wretched start on a square on which in a previous night a wretched started that he killed eventually (this reduces Jack's possibilities to distribute the wretched night after night). We play this variant in addition to the rule that he cannot move a wretched onto a previous kill location.
3) Let time start on V and move it to the right in the "hell" phase. Jack cannot get home before the move made on "1".

We always let the police 'run' as it allows players/police far from the crime to be more involved - I think this 3rd police move should be in the basic rules.
We also always play 2) - it makes thematic sense to me zombie
Our Jack's have not tried such a short move as 3), but reading this, I think it is a good ruling.
Thanks Martin

I would also add that Jack should always note his/her 'special moves' on Jack's sheet as it can prevent arguments later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player aids could be a little more helpful - see a home-brew one posted under files for an example.

Ditto to the comment above to color the clear plastic disks. I've drawn a black rim around all of mine so they can be better spotted on the board.

Include a whistle for the police to blow when they find the corpse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lange
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Our Jack's have not tried such a short move as 3), but reading this, I think it is a good ruling.

I remember some people also asked themselves why Jack had more time to escape when waiting to kill. So, this also makes sense thematically, since with this variant he has less time when he waits. I liked the thematic interpretation by someone that he would like to wait to reach his hideout until it is really dark to be sure no one sees him when entering it. Also, this did not lead to more immediate kills in our sessions, maybe even less. To have less moves normally does not concern Jack, but it is an advantage for him not to have wait too long before being allowed to get home. Furthermore, I as Jack like to see what the police gives me by moving the wrecthed, so I tend to wait except for night 3 of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this thread is about making suggestions and not about devolving into old arguments, I will simply provide my two cents and leave it at that:

I've played 20+ times with the sole variant that investigator pawns can move a third space in lieu of searching for clues or making an arrest, and have found the game to be reasonably balanced (perhaps 60/40 in favor of Jack, but that is OK as historically 'Jack' was never caught).

In my games, the investigators take notes as well as use a laminated map and dry erase markers as assistance. Games last around 3 & 1/2 hours unless Jack gets caught early. Most of my games have been either 2 or 3 player.

Personally, I cannot imagine how a clever Jack player gets caught with the rules as written, i.e. without the third move, and strongly encourage including the third move as a base rule or at the very least as an official variant in the revised rule book (it is already an official variant in the online FAQ).

However, the other popular variant that Jack cannot kill a wretched coming from the same red spot more than once is in my opinion a bad idea. With this rule, the investigators will automatically win if they can position themselves such that at the beginning of the third night they are within striking distance of all of Jack's possible kill spots (there will only be 5, so each of the 5 investigators can cover one). This is problematic because it introduces a very gamey dynamic that wasn't there before (the investigators ignore Jack completely and focus on positioning themselves for the third night).

For what little my opinion is worth, I would recommend against adopting this variant as an official rule. At the very least, I would suggest play testing it with my criticisms in mind and decide for yourself.

I also concur with the poster above that mentioned making some of the intersections clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lange
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
However, the other popular variant that Jack cannot kill a wretched coming from the same red spot more than once is in my opinion a bad idea. With this rule, the investigators will automatically win if they can position themselves such that at the beginning of the third night they are within striking distance of all of Jack's possible kill spots (there will only be 5, so each of the 5 investigators can cover one). This is problematic because it introduces a very gamey dynamic that wasn't there before (the investigators ignore Jack completely and focus on positioning themselves for the third night).

Very good point, never had thought of that until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Chester Cobblepot
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
Thank you very much for your first replies. Those are very helpful.

I want to inform you that we have published a sneak preview of our first development on [geekurl=http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.268184859892193.64214.147710291939651&type=1]Whitechapel Facebook page[/geekurl]

I replied to some of your first questions on [geekurl=http://www.sirchestercobblepot.com/?p=197&lang=en]my website[/geekurl]

Thank you so much for your attention!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gertz wrote:
Apparently he wasn't killed while looking for One Eyed Willy's treasure...

That's Chester COPPERPOT.

Sincerely,

A guy who's seen "Goonies" WAY too many times....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gertz
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats what I said Chester Copperpot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gertz wrote:
Thats what I said Chester Copperpot

Right after you set the "booty traps"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Joe Dizzy wrote:

ditto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought it would be more streamlined if the Jack player had eight Wretched Pawns instead of five. Five of these would have a red sticker underneath, the other three blank underneath.

It would totally remove any need for the cardboard chit setup at the beginning of each night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took this quote from a BGG user review:

thinwhiteduke wrote:

I only really have two complaints as far as the components go. First, the Clue chips are clear plastic circles. They are a little difficult to spot on the board. I think using a light coloring to them would help bring them out and help the Inspectors visualize the trail as it is uncovered better. It isn't a big complaint, but just a minor improvement that I could see that could be made.

Second, there are only 30 of Jack's Movement Tracking Sheets included in the game. This is depressingly few, especially because at least at the time of this review, there are no PDF sheets available on the web. I really would have preferred a pad of 60, or at least files to be more promptly made available on the web.

But I have read more suggestions to improve the game here on the forum. I suggest you check out the written reviews, sessions and video reviews here on BGG for finding improvements for the second print.

Will this second edition be shipped to the Netherlands too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernaar wrote:
I took this quote from a BGG user review:

thinwhiteduke wrote:

I only really have two complaints as far as the components go. First, the Clue chips are clear plastic circles. They are a little difficult to spot on the board. I think using a light coloring to them would help bring them out and help the Inspectors visualize the trail as it is uncovered better. It isn't a big complaint, but just a minor improvement that I could see that could be made.

Second, there are only 30 of Jack's Movement Tracking Sheets included in the game. This is depressingly few, especially because at least at the time of this review, there are no PDF sheets available on the web. I really would have preferred a pad of 60, or at least files to be more promptly made available on the web.

But I have read more suggestions to improve the game here on the forum. I suggest you check out the written reviews, sessions and video reviews here on BGG for finding improvements for the second print.

Will this second edition be shipped to the Netherlands too?

I took two simple micro-pimp steps to combat these issues:

Blue Stickers

Laminated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Chester Cobblepot
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
Dear gentlemen,
nice to hear new suggestions, here, by email, by facebook... thanks.
I want to inform you the some changes, like the new screen for Jack, are now in a component play test phase to see if they works well. Some of them can be also testable "from distance" if you are able to print (or let a copy center print) some cardboard and paper stuff and you own a copy of the first edition of Whitechapel.
This is why I uploaded on my website (in the section Work with us) a request form to become official play testers for the ones interested.
In order to open the files, it will be necessary to have a password. You can have it by writing me an email (info@sirchestercobblepot.com) with the following infos:
- name
- city and country
- number of players in your group
- composition of you game group (average age and sex of your test group)
- number of games of Whitechapel played
In this way I can check your request and then you can start to play.
Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Sir Chester,
Do you anticipate that this new Edition will be readily available in the USA?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.