Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul is right, of course: Dungeon Petz doesn't have much in common with Dungeon Lords, at least not concerning the goal and the core mechanics.

BUT I do think they have a lot in common in other respects.
Obviously, there is the brilliant design, but there are also similarities concerning the bidding system and the buyers/adventurers, respectively the encounters you have to plan.

I wouldn't go as far as to suggest to just throw the two games together and see what happens...not very much I guess...but there should be some kind of linking element...well...probably just playing both games in a row...and probably NOT a novel

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be fine with a novel, but what can I say, I'm weird.

As for a linking element, I kinda thought it would be cool to have an expansion for Dungeon Lords where the monsters are the monsters you raise in Dungeon Petz. I'm not sure exactly how it would work, but it would be cool if there was some way to scale the monsters in Dungeon Lords according to how they were raised/treated in Dungeon Petz. Then, essentially, the buyers from Dungeon Petz would be the same people that sell you monsters in Dungeon Lords. I'm not sure if it would/should take into account WHO raised them, or if it would just determine what monsters would be available, but I could see it working either way.

I could also see some sort of mini-game with Dungeon Lords where you buy the monsters as babies, and you play a Dungeon Petz mini-game on the side to determine their effectiveness in the dungeon.

Either way, it would require some sort of expansion for Dungeon Lords, since very few of the monsters in Dungeon Petz appear in the other game (just the Golem, Dragon, and Ghost I think). I think they both have a troll, but they look very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Catchpole
Australia
Ashfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
Paul is right, of course: Dungeon Petz doesn't have much in common with Dungeon Lords, at least not concerning the goal and the core mechanics.

BUT I do think they have a lot in common in other respects.
Obviously, there is the brilliant design, but there are also similarities concerning the bidding system and the buyers/adventurers, respectively the encounters you have to plan.

I wouldn't go as far as to suggest to just throw the two games together and see what happens...not very much I guess...but there should be some kind of linking element...well...probably just playing both games in a row...and probably NOT a novel

What do you think?

As much as I like the idea, my table is WAY too small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of mini expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-Louis de Maere
Belgium
Pecrot
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz have as much in common as Galaxy Trucker and Space Alert.

Both are played in the same universe, but they're very different when you get to play them. In Galaxy Trucker, you build a spaceship then fly out in space and try to make the most of it (blast the threats into oblivion, get resources to sell for $$$,...). Space Alert has you dealing with the crew of a ship that goes through space and try to make the most of it (blasting internal and external threats into oblivion by coordinating with the whole team).

Same thing for Dungeon Lords : management of a dungeon, building rooms, traps for adventurers, survive their attacks. Dungeon Petz has you working for the pet shop : tending to creatures, buying new ones and impress the local Lords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and mechanisms/rounds are COMPLETELY different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.