United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
Congratulations! You've found OverText.
badge
Well looky there, more OverText.
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I look through the Heroscape gallery I see all these maps laden with palm trees and jungle bushes that instantly make the whole thing look amazing.
The jungle set adds instant cool to an already great looking game.

Then I start thinking, man I wish I had some of those Ticalla Jungle sets so I could make my map look amazing too.
What are those sets going for now? (Checks ebay)...Holy Crap!

I'm not going to be spending that kind of money on a Heroscape expansion no matter how great it makes my map look,
but I still want some sweet jungle pieces because of how great it will make my map look.
So after much research and some trail and error I think I have arrived at an acceptable alternative.
Granted I have never seen a Ticalla Jungle set in real life but I think the bushes are a pretty close match to the real thing.

-First I blended up some little aquarium plants I got on sale at the pet store and hot glued them to the bases.

-After a quick spray of green spray paint the bases were ready to go.

-All that was left was to hot glue the plants to the bases.

The jungle bushes are made up of four different aquarium plants:

1.The small plant is called Green Plastic Plants Ornament Decoration (very specific huh) and can be found on ebay.

2.The grass like plant is called Fluval Chi Grass and was purchased at Petco

3.The mini palm plant, and the one that really makes it look like the real deal in my opinion,
is called Amazonian Phyllo and is made by Zoo Med. It can be found on ebay and Amazon.

4.The last plant is called Jungle Plant Croton by Exo Terra.
It can be found on ebay and Amazon.

Then there were the palm trees.

The palms took fewer pieces to make but were a much bigger pain to construct.

-Naturally Wired Wire.
This can be found at Michael's or your local craft store.

-Artificial Fern from Michael's
This one seems pretty specific to Michael's and isn't too cheap for what you get.

Some people on Heroscapers made excellent guides on how to put the bushes and palms together.
I will link them if I can find them again.

So what do you think?

A big thanks to all the guys making customs over at Heroscapers.com without whom I would have never been able to make these look this good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, those aquarium plants and other sceenery type pieces can make for some marvelous additions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own plenty of Ticalla Jungle. I paid below MSRP for all of it.

That being said I don't need any of it to be cool. I am COOL without it.

Seriously out of all the pictures I've seen of aquarium pants as a substitute yours looks the best.

Game On! Brother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Varan
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job, it looks great! I own 6 sets of the Ticalla Jungle, which I bought when it first came out and was readily available. However, I've also done what you've done to add more variety to the terrain. I had a good tutorial a while on how to make bamboo thickets, if I could just find it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sandmaker wrote:

-First I blended up some little aquarium plants I got on sale at the pet store and hot glued them to the bases.

-After a quick spray of green spray paint the bases were ready to go.

-All that was left was to hot glue the plants to the bases.

The jungle bushes are made up of four different aquarium plants:

1.The small plant is called Green Plastic Plants Ornament Decoration (very specific huh) and can be found on ebay.

2.The grass like plant is called Fluval Chi Grass and was purchased at Petco

3.The mini palm plant, and the one that really makes it look like the real deal in my opinion,
is called Amazonian Phyllo and is made by Zoo Med. It can be found on ebay and Amazon.

4.The last plant is called Jungle Plant Croton by Exo Terra.
It can be found on ebay and Amazon.

That's impressive - honestly, I have to look very carefully at that pic to tell the differences between that and the real thing. At one point, one of the plants that seemed to be a good match came out of a GW terrain kit, iirc - good job in finding something undoubtedly cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I think those look even better than the real deal!

I remember passing up the Ticalla Jungle sets several times in the store since I didn't have the cash at the time. I missed a bunch of mid-run Heroscape during this frugal period. I've since filled in some of the gaps through ebay, but this is one that has always just been too much to justify...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was cool that I got $40 for my Ticalla Jungle when it cost me 1/6 to make it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Hills
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You made the cool list with your sweet terrain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look really good bro. I have one set of TJ but wish I had more. How much do you think you spent on making those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I went this route, too. I also made volcarren terrain with some red spray paint for plastic and a little drybrushing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hahnarama wrote:
I own plenty of Ticalla Jungle. I paid below MSRP for all of it.

That being said I don't need any of it to be cool. I am COOL without it.

Seriously out of all the pictures I've seen of aquarium pants as a substitute yours looks the best.

Game On! Brother!

At least that is what his mom keeps telling him, laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh ya...well your Mom keeps telling me that I am the BEST she has ever had.

Miss ya brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.