B B
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to add a game or two. I would prefer them to fit almost all of the personalities in the group currently.

I have 2 people fairly new to the hobby. I've got them to play Ticket to Ride, Shogun, Runewars, Lords of Vegas, 7 Wonders and Airline Europe with success. They really liked Runewars, but wished it was shorter.

I have my girlfriend. She prefers lower conflict games. She likes for example Lost Cities, Zooloretto, Airline Europe, and At the Gates of Loyang.

The last member of our group hates dice (luck). He didn't like Lords of Vegas, Runewars, or Shogun, but he prefers at least some conflict. So I need a game that supports between 2 to 5 and would appeal to all members.

Thanks in advance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digger Cook
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Red November and Carcassonne could work for this group.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers rather than basic Carc myself (it's a better out-of-the-box game, although if you want the option of expansions later down the line pick up basic Carc) but that sounds like a decent choice.

Definitely try and check out Mission: Red Planet. It's simple enough to play, comes in at 1 to 1.5 hours, plays up to 5, involves conflict but no dice and is generally good fun.

Beowulf: The Legend is another one that works well with 5, plays fairly quickly, is relatively simple and involves conflict but not dice. Your anti-luck player may take issue with the 'Risk' action though, so do be aware of that possibility.

You guys might also like the newly released Panic Station if your group is able to get into character and immerse themselves in the experience of a game rather than being concerned with gaming the system to win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of the Fallen lands
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Gallactica might work for your group.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghisx wrote:
Conquest of the Fallen lands


That sounds interesting. I've never heard of it before. One question is how much luck is in the game. Our "No Luck" group member can tolerate luck as long as he thinks the best strategy still wins. Thanks for the recommendation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
I'd go for Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers rather than basic Carc myself (it's a better out-of-the-box game, although if you want the option of expansions later down the line pick up basic Carc) but that sounds like a decent choice.

Definitely try and check out Mission: Red Planet. It's simple enough to play, comes in at 1 to 1.5 hours, plays up to 5, involves conflict but no dice and is generally good fun.

Beowulf: The Legend is another one that works well with 5, plays fairly quickly, is relatively simple and involves conflict but not dice. Your anti-luck player may take issue with the 'Risk' action though, so do be aware of that possibility.

You guys might also like the newly released Panic Station if your group is able to get into character and immerse themselves in the experience of a game rather than being concerned with gaming the system to win.


Panic Station seems like an awesome concept. If I can convince everyone to roleplay a little, I think it will work with everyone. I actually own Mission: Red Planet. I need to get it on the table to see if they enjoy it. Thanks for the recommendations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates is the first thing that strikes me. There's some luck in which tiles you draw, but it's rarely game-breaking and smart play mitigates it a lot anyway. There's conflict, but it's not excessive and if you lose you'll just put your dude somewhere else. It doesn't tend to take an age to play either.
The only catch is that it's 2-4, so I guess it won't fit your FULL group, if that's a problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghisx wrote:
Battlestar Gallactica might work for your group.


I've actually played it before with some members of the group plus a few others. It went over very well, but they thought it was a little long.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Battlestar, try SABOTEUR. It's like uber-lite battlestar.
Sucks with 4 players, works very well with odd numbers.

ALternatively:

7 Wonders (virtually no conflict)
Illiad (lots of conflict, though you can work in teams)
Citadels (conflict depends on mix of characters)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcticLancer wrote:
Tigris & Euphrates is the first thing that strikes me. There's some luck in which tiles you draw, but it's rarely game-breaking and smart play mitigates it a lot anyway. There's conflict, but it's not excessive and if you lose you'll just put your dude somewhere else. It doesn't tend to take an age to play either.
The only catch is that it's 2-4, so I guess it won't fit your FULL group, if that's a problem.


I've thought about this game, and it would work except on the game nights where everyone showed up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eppic wrote:
If you like Battlestar, try SABOTEUR. It's like uber-lite battlestar.
Sucks with 4 players, works very well with odd numbers.

ALternatively:

7 Wonders (virtually no conflict)
Illiad (lots of conflict, though you can work in teams)
Citadels (conflict depends on mix of characters)


I wished Saboteur was more available. It seems I will have to overpay to get a copy to try. I'm not sure how it will go over with all the members, but it might work as long as my girlfriend wasn't the traitor.

We have 7 Wonders and it works well with the group. My girlfriend enjoys it, but it's not her favorite. Our "No Luck" member complains about the luck of the starting hand, but he will play it. It works well on game night currently.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Delthi wrote:

I actually own Mission: Red Planet. I need to get it on the table to see if they enjoy it. Thanks for the recommendations.


You really should. It's a great game and plays much faster than you might expect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably wouldn't need to get Panic Station and Saboteur, I think they fill a similar niche. Panic Station looks to have some minor gameplay/theme inconsistencies and an awful rulebook, but once people get over that, it seems to be a *much* better game than Saboteur.

As long as we're talking about more social rather than strategy games, may as well recommend Dixit and Ca$h 'n Gun$.

Puerto Rico has almost no luck and has worked well with new gamers for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities: The Board Game
Finca
Carson City

And my wildcard...
Defenders of the Realm (Co-Op Board Conflict!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I've had good luck introducing Pandemic to new/non-gamers. With the On the Brink expansion you can play with 5 and your girlfriend doesn't have to be the bio-terrorist, if she doesn't like conflict.

Whatever you do don't play Dominant Species with your group. I love the game, just played it tonight in fact, but it is so aggressive and nasty I don't think it would work for your group (yet).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.