Eclipse» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Real" Wormholes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After two games (I know it is actually to short for variants) in which we had the problem of people doing a turtle-exploration with almost only the galactic center as connection point, I would like to have some rule allowing real wormholes which could connect distant hexes like in TI3.

The easiest way would be to rule that the empty exploration marker can/have to (?) be transformed into wormholes which connect to all other wormholes as if they were adjacent hexes.

Another option could be to roll two D6 on every new hex. If both dice are smaller or equal to the number on the hex's back ( I (3% chance), II (11%) or III (25%) ), place a wormhole marker into the field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
VolkoV wrote:
After two games (I know it is actually to short for variants) in which we had the problem of people doing a turtle-exploration with almost only the galactic center as connection point(...)

I wonder how's that even possible..? Are you sure you were playing the Explore rules correctly? There are so many worholes on the 1st and 2nd ring hexes that it's practically impossible to avoid contact.

Remember also, that a) you have to pick a space to Explore before you take a hex, b) there is a limited amount of hexes for each zone and c) you can't place the 1st and 2nd tier hexes on any other zone than the one they are designated for (this goes obviously for Outer Sectors too, but they don't need to form a ring).

That being said, I sure it's possible to have some kind of a wormhole mechanic for connecting hexes on different sides of the Galaxy (and unless I'm mistaken, the designers do have something like this in mind as potential expansion material).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Marttila
Finland
Jyväskylä
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Usually there should be connections,I agree. Still, I have managed to win both games I played by turtle-exploring and fortifying Galactic Center. On second game it was still really close call as one of my neighbours aquired wormhole tech, which made my position really fragile and forced me to resort to a quite impressive speaker actions to avoid annihilation.

It would be nice to see some TI3 style wormholes in some expansions though. At start you pretty much see that you're going to be able to fight against only one or two players during whole game. By having (even by chance) an option to somehow engage more distant player would be intriguing. It would also mean even more dynamic gameplay as you could personally challenge your worst rivals (vp-wise) even if they'd be on the other side of the galaxy.

p.s.You can always go through galactic center, but that is quite far fetched choise as it endangers your lines of communication and really exposes you to counter-attack or predatory attacks from your neighbours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy, develop wormhole generators...

Last night, I played a game in which two neighbouring players spent the early game avoiding contact, and later on came to regret it as they couldn't create a diplomatic agreement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aautio wrote:
VolkoV wrote:
(...) with almost only the galactic center as connection point(...)

I wonder how's that even possible..?

That is why I sad "almost". I agree that having no connection in the beginning is a problem in the endgame. But we are new players at the moment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kantti wrote:
At start you pretty much see that you're going to be able to fight against only one or two players during whole game.

That was our problem as well. Additionally it is not only fighting, but also diplomacy that is affected by this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Marttila
Finland
Jyväskylä
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
VolkoV wrote:
kantti wrote:
At start you pretty much see that you're going to be able to fight against only one or two players during whole game.

That was our problem as well. Additionally it is not only fighting, but also diplomacy that is affected by this.

To avoid unwanted bashing of this great game, I want to add, that this problems becomes smaller in endgame when your ships get gradually better engines and different corners of galaxies are easier to reach (IF you can beat enemy's chokepoint or flank it with wormhole generator).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Touko Tahkokallio
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that total turtling doesn't typically lead to very good result against experienced players. It is actually quite beneficial for players to create open map, because you really can benefit from the diplomatic relations and from fighting too. I think this is even more important when playing the game with many players (especially 5 or 6) as there is less space where to comfortably turtle yourself...

But it is intentional that turtling is possible to some degree. It is very difficult to make it a winning strategy though, if opponents play wisely. So I guess you can ask yourselves, why oh why did you create the closed map in the first place!

edit: and Yes, I can confirm that we are experimenting Galaxy Wide wormholes in action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my two games so far, some players also turtled and it was always to the disadvantage of the turtling players. If you turtle you limit your options to gain victory points.
In one extrem case a player arranged all explored systems (III) in a single line, so there was only one hex he had to defend. But he lost that hex to another player and was pushed back. So he was facing a superior opponent and had no other option to gain victory points (his science production wasn't that good, so no chance to gain much victory points through research). He ended up with 6 VP (the winner had 39).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo regis
Brazil
flag msg tools
If i ever used some wormholes with a farther reach i should set them on fixed places of the galaxy.

For example, the position X on the right side of player that sits in place A, should conect in the position Y on the right side of player B.

I should use some Twilight imperium wormhole marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the game we played, my opponents regretted making the map so closed off since I obtained wormhole generators and could strike their systems easily but they were unable to do the same.

It is up the players to decide if they turtle or not, but it can be a dangerous choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:

It is up the players to decide if they turtle or not, but it can be a dangerous choice.

Yep, in our 6 player game everyone turtled except the two ladies at the table: One of them won by eliminating the other... not turtling has risky potential...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo regis
Brazil
flag msg tools
another variation that looks cool is to make a Wormhole tile, one who is only a connection between another place(that you choose). So in pratice u got 2 tiles, one to put in the another system that u explored, and another to place in somewhere thats should fit a another system.

It should have the usual wormholes in the sides of it, but with some number to match it in the other place you should choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.