Subject: What happens to "useless" cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the dwarves have completely damaged the dragon's wings/legs/fire, he can no longer fly/walk/breath fire. Similarly, when the "net dwarf"/archer is dead, the dwarf player cannot play net/crossbow cards any more.

What happens if you draw these cards (or still have them in your hand) after you can no longer use them? Some of them of course have a second symbol which you can still use, but many have just the one symbol.

- Can you discard them and draw replacements for them?

- Can you discard them at all?

- Do you have to play them as an action if you want to free space in your hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to do with them something.
Generally the best way is to discard them when you take 2 cards and they exceed the limit of 6 cards then you can discard the useless cards.
Otherwise they work exactly as they are: the wounds - useless cards.

You should never let them kill your best options

it is hard hand managent game, as I said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just interpret the rules literally - there are no extra special rules about cards which are useless due to the appropriate dwarf or dragon ability having been eliminated. They are not playable as actions. But if you draw more cards and have more than 6 so that you must discard, you can of course discard the useless cards, just as you can discard any cards in your to reduce your hand size to the required 6. There is no need to make "free space" in your hand before drawing new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I can't play them as an action to get rid of them just like I can play a move card and not move at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AsGSnak wrote:
So I can't play them as an action to get rid of them just like I can play a move card and not move at all?

What is your purpose in wanting to get rid of them by playing them, instead of by discarding them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is why being able to discard "useless" cards as a "useless action" instead of discarding them only by having more than 6 cards in your hand matters. Imagine the following scenario:

Scenario wrote:
I have 6 cards in my hand, and 1 (and only 1) of those cards is useless to me (a Dragon ability which can no longer be used/a Net card with the Net Dwarf dead/a Crossbow card with the Archer dwarf dead).

- If I am able to discard the "useless" card as an action, I may want to do so, because if I draw 2 cards (as an action) to get rid of the useless card I'll now have 8 cards in my hand (check the scenario above).
- This means I'll have to discard 2 cards to get back down to 6.
- Now, of course I will discard the useless card I had before. And maybe, if I'm lucky, one of the 2 cards I drew is also useless, so I'll discard both and be happy.
- However, if I only drew good cards, this means I'll have to discard my useless card and also get rid of one of my good cards.
- Being able to simply discard the card as an action would get me down to 5 cards without losing any good cards.

This is why the question is relevant.

I know this is possible with movement cards (both for the dwarves and the dragon). However:
- Is this possible for any of the disabled Dragon abilities (including disabled movement)?
- Is this possible for any of the dead dwarves abilities (net and crossbow)?
- Is this possible with other actions (such as defense and attack cards), if I simply want to discard them without using them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I understand. Good example!

As far as I understand the rules officially (and based on Maciej's comment upthread) you cannot play that sort of card (net action when the net dwarf is dead), but I am not an official answerer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Rossi
msg tools
I have same doubts, since we tried like 10 games, all winned by the Dragon. But we used the "discard a wing/breath fire" card option as take an action, allowing the dragon to have a better hand/turn management, not wasting movements when chased/surrounded by dwarves, so maybe is that the wrong thing in that.

So, if fire breath/wing are disabled, is possible to discard it and taking actions, or you must draw 2 and discard them when you reach more than 6 cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Kleinschmidt
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
There is no "discard a card" action. You have to perform a valid action, and that is either attack/move/fly via a valid card or draw 2 cards. This is completely obvious from the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.