Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be visiting relatives in those cities so if there are any decent game stores in them, please let me know.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
Check this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthread&th...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hughes
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Montgomery, check out Visions Cards and Comics, just across the street from Montgomery Mall (not Eastdale). It has a pretty decent game selection. Downsides are that most of the staff are obsessed with CCG's, and the store is always hosting at least half a dozen CCG geeks gaming nerdily away. Also, they have a habit of never putting price tags on the games, so don't be shy about asking how they cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's really not much to be had in Jackson. There is a Hobbytown in north Jackson that has a spotty history as far as games go. Sometimes they have nothing. The last time I was in there, they had a pretty good selection of Mayfair, new Avalon Hill, and Days of Wonder stuff. They used to have some more unusual stuff from time to time, but it's been a while since I've seen it. They also have some ccg and miniatures stuff. In fact, if you are into historical miniatures, there is a pretty active group.

There is also a game shop in the nearby mall (Northpark). They are primarily into CCG and some LAN gaming. However, they have started carrying some stuff from Avalon Hill with a couple of more popular Euro titles (such as some Settlers and Carcassonne). The prices at both places are retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
There's really not much to be had in Jackson. There is a Hobbytown in north Jackson that has a spotty history as far as games go. Sometimes they have nothing. The last time I was in there, they had a pretty good selection of Mayfair, new Avalon Hill, and Days of Wonder stuff. They used to have some more unusual stuff from time to time, but it's been a while since I've seen it. They also have some ccg and miniatures stuff. In fact, if you are into historical miniatures, there is a pretty active group.

There is also a game shop in the nearby mall (Northpark). They are primarily into CCG and some LAN gaming. However, they have started carrying some stuff from Avalon Hill with a couple of more popular Euro titles (such as some Settlers and Carcassonne). The prices at both places are retail.

I guess I should update this for Jackson. The game store in Northpark mall has recently closed. A while back, the Hobbytown moved to the area of Dogwood Marketplace off of Highway 25 / Lakeland Drive. Their selection seems to be about the same.

There is now a store in Pearl called Dragonslair that is actually a pretty good little shop. They have a reasonable, if eclectic selection of board and card games. Check out their website if you want more information: www.dragonslairccg.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Knight
United States
Navarre
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm from Jackson. As Stephen said, the Dragon's Lair is one of the two main shops in town now. They're a great group of people (Brian Brock is the owner - tell him I said Hi), and they just tripled their floorspace to almost 3000 sq ft with at least half that dedicated to gaming space.

I was in there this past weekend, and I'd say their selection of games is probably the best in town right now - although I did just buy their last copy of Battlelore AND Carcassonne. Yay me!

This Saturday (5/26/07) they're having Board Game Day where they'll be hosting/demo'ing lotsa different games. I'm slotted to run Carcassonne, and if I can get the players, we'll run a World of Warcraft Boardgame (with the new expansion). Also on Friday nights, they have a regular WoW TCG tournament.

I was also in Hobbytown this past weekend, and their game selection is relatively small. Maybe a dozen games - the usual FFG products and a few Days of Wonder games. Their prices are slightly higher than Dragon's Lair, but they're in a primo retail spot too. They're mostly a model train/plane shop.

The other main game shop in town is Van's Comics on Highway 51 in Ridgeland. I was in there a couple months ago and he had about 1/4 as many boardgames as Dragon's Lair. He's mainly a comic book and CCG shop (Magic the Gathering mostly). If you're a CCG'er, definitely give him a visit.

If there are any other gamers in the Jackson area, send me a message, we should get together and do some gaming. We're always looking for new friends and fellow gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am making my annual trip through Montgomery, AL to visit in-laws and Jackson, MS to visit my aunt. Is Dragon's Lair still going? Is it a diverse gaming (RPGs, miniatures, boardgames, wargames, etc) store?

Anything new in these areas? I'll check out the HobbyTown and Dragon's Lair, for sure. Along with Visions (although last time I was there the staff person pretty much sat there eating a burrito; not that I needed help but it certainly didn't feel friendly).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to Dragon's Lair. Please ignore the store hours that are posted on its website and that are posted on the front window of the store, as they are not even open the hours as posted. Apparently, only the gaming side is open on weekdays. Quite a wasted trip, unfortunately.

HobbyTown was open and I was surprised by how much they had. They carry more eurogames than my local HobbyTown and, even, more miniature and RPG products.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Texicon GameCon
United States
Lakeside
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
seppo21 wrote:
seppo21 wrote:

I guess I should update this for Jackson. The game store in Northpark mall has recently closed. A while back, the Hobbytown moved to the area of Dogwood Marketplace off of Highway 25 / Lakeland Drive. Their selection seems to be about the same.

There is now a store in Pearl called Dragonslair that is actually a pretty good little shop. They have a reasonable, if eclectic selection of board and card games. Check out their website if you want more information: www.dragonslairccg.com

That particular Dragon's Lair moved and then a small time later, it closed. So, it is no longer a FLGS Sad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.