Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know much about the LCG model, and couldn't really find a clear answer to this question on FFG's website. How exactly do you play these with more than 2 players? Particularly the coop LCGs, like LotR and this one.

With just one base set, you can play with 1-2, and up to four with two base sets. But if I'm the only one who owns the game, I'd hate to have to buy two base sets just so that I can play with up to four people.

Do the "adventure pack" expansions provided in monthly installments enable you to add players if you just have one base set? Or are they primarily content, and not extra-player functional?

I apologize if these seem like basic questions. I come more from a pure boardgaming background and don't really get a lot of the more deck-based collectible game systems.

Thanks for any help advance that sets me straight on this question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I call green!
mbmbmbmbmb
LotR:TCG is definitely playable with 4 players using just one copy of the core set, as I'm sure SW:TCG will be. Two (or more) core sets simply provide you with more components to make it easier to do so and to enchance the experience for those more interested in the deck building aspect of the game.

For example, in LotR, one of the components, called a Threat Tracker, can be easily replaced with pen and paper; it's just a nice-to-have item. Instead, the bigger concern is whether or not the number of cards is going to be sufficient the more players you add, especially if a) Your playing with "tournament legal" decks (50-card minimum, as opposed to the "default" set of 30 cards provided for each Sphere) and b) More than one player wants to control the same Sphere of influence (colour). A 4-player game in this case will require either a second core set or proxies.

I'm not quite sure how SW will work yet, but I'm sure it will still be possible to play with 4-players using one box.

However, if you intend on playing this a lot with friends, and playing it solo, I'd recommend two core sets; it will makes multiplayer that much easier, and provide you with the means to build more viable decks in single player. Just my opinion, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You just build separate decks for the other players. In LotR the easiest way is to just give 1 sphere to each player. There are 4 spheres in the game and all 4 come in the core set. You then can just add cards to each sphere if you buy the adventure packs.

We don't know how hard or easy this will be with SW since it isn't out yet. But you can easily play 4 players out of a single core set box with LotR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that's interesting, thanks. What exactly do the monthly adventure packs add then? Just more cards for decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play LotR with 3 players and I see no problem playing with 4. The only downside is that the pool of cards people can draft for their decks is limited. You can have up to 3 copies of any card in your deck. If more than one person wants a full set of the same cards (and not all cards have 3 copies in the base set to begin with), somebody will not get what they want. And yes, the expansion packs do make more options available as they expand the pool of cards people can draw from. Every pack comes with a full set of play cards for that expansion. Still, we have never had problems, although we do wish there were more Stewards of Gondor. We don't wish it enough to buy a second set, though. I prefer to just get the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dawson_osu wrote:
Ok, that's interesting, thanks. What exactly do the monthly adventure packs add then? Just more cards for decks?

They add more player cards, more encounter cards, and each expansion has a new scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.