Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wojtek chuchla
Poland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on position 10 on trader track. I occupy building with 5 same resources and I have 5 wood and 3 gold in my reserve.
MAY I trade one wood and take 2 golds to gain 30VP (for 5 gold).
Or MUST I spend wood to gain only 15VP?

I am on position 10 on trader track. I occupy building with 7 any resources and I have only 1 wood.
MAY I trade one wood and take 2 golds to gain 12VP (for 2 gold).
Or MUST I spend wood to gain only 3VP?

I am on position 10 on trader track. I occupy building with 5 same resources and I have 5 wood and 5 gold in my reserve.
MAY I trade one wood and take 2 gold to gain 30VP (for 5 gold)?
Or MUST I spend my own 5 gold to do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
wc poland wrote:
I am on position 10 on trader track. I occupy building with 5 same resources and I have 5 wood and 3 gold in my reserve.
I would say yes, you may exchange one wood and acquire two gold. It appears that the rules do not prevent this, but you must use the gold to buy the hut.

wc poland wrote:
I am on position 10 on trader track. I occupy building with 7 any resources and I have only 1 wood.
Again, I would say yes, as I read the rules, you may exchange one wood and acquire two gold to buy the hut, but you must use the gold to buy the hut.

wc poland wrote:
I am on position 10 on trader track. I occupy building with 5 same resources and I have 5 wood and 5 gold in my reserve.
This might need an official clarification as you do not actually need to trade to acquire the hut. From the English rules (bold text mine):
English Rules wrote:
The player may... ...only trade if needed to acquire a civilization card or a building tile.
Since you don't need to trade to acquire the hut, then my first answer would be no, since you can already buy the hut with the resources you currently have.

Remember though, that you may only make a trade once per round and only when you need to acquire a hut or civilisation card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luk
Belgium
Mechelen
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I have a similar question according to two almost identical situations we had yesterday.

I am on position 9 or 10 of the trade track (1:2) and want to buy the first card (1 resource). I have 1 gold and 1 decoration in stock.
Do I have to spend the gold or may I trade the decoration for any 2 resources to afford me the card? Of course, in this case, the exceptional rule "if the player takes more items than he needs to pay for the building or card, he does not keep the excess."

I am on position 9 or 10 of the trade track (1:2) and want to buy the second card (2 resources). I have 1 gold and 1 decoration in stock.
Do I have to spend the gold first or may I trade immediately the decoration for any 2 resources to acquire the card?
In other words: do you have to spend all your resources before you may trade to acquire a card or hut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Torio
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Trading question:

I am in position 2, can I spend 8 wood to acquire 4 gold although the building tile could be bought with 1 gold?

The minimum for the building tile is 1 gold but if I spend 4 gold I get more victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HNelsoNH wrote:
New Trading question:

I am in position 2, can I spend 8 wood to acquire 4 gold although the building tile could be bought with 1 gold?

The minimum for the building tile is 1 gold but if I spend 4 gold I get more victory points.

No. You may only trade once. On position 2 on the trade track, you can trade 2 resources for 1 resource. If you trade 8 wood for 4 gold, then you have actually traded 4 times - which is not allowed (you may only trade once).

Edit: This is made clear in the BGG Essen demo video: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/11385/stone-age-style-is-the-.... The trading question is answered at 4.08.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Torio
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, crystal clear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think that some of these trading examples need proper clarification from HiG.

Vitriool wrote:
I am on position 9 or 10 of the trade track (1:2) and want to buy the first card (1 resource). I have 1 gold and 1 decoration in stock.
Do I have to spend the gold or may I trade the decoration for any 2 resources to afford me the card? Of course, in this case, the exceptional rule "if the player takes more items than he needs to pay for the building or card, he does not keep the excess."
Of course, you do not need to trade to be able to buy the card, as you already have a resource to pay for the card, but this situation is a good example of a question that needs further clarification as to what is permitted. I personally would allow you to trade the 2 decorations for resources to buy the civ card (but, as you said though, the excess is not kept).

Vitriool wrote:
I am on position 9 or 10 of the trade track (1:2) and want to buy the second card (2 resources). I have 1 gold and 1 decoration in stock.
Do I have to spend the gold first or may I trade immediately the decoration for any 2 resources to acquire the card?
In other words: do you have to spend all your resources before you may trade to acquire a card or hut.
Again, another question that requires further clarification, although on this, I would allow the trade to take place, enabling you to keep the gold.

However, it might be the designers intent that you have to use any resources that can be used (that you currently have) to pay for something, before any traded resources are spent. This might help with the undervaluing of gold in the expansion. This would mean that in the first case, the gold must be used to purchase the card and so trading would not be allowed, and in the second case you use the 1 gold as part payment for the civ card and then trade for the second resource (the extra traded resource is not taken as it becomes an excess resource).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masa kari
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wc poland wrote:

Unfortunately you must pay with your resources, always if possibile. If you had only 4 wood and 3 gold than you could trade 1 wood for 2 gold.

wc poland wrote:

Unfortunately the rule says: you must pay with your ressources if you can and the building is "1 to 7 resources". If you only had 1 "Schmuck" (jewelry) than you could trade this for 2 gold. So sometimes it is better to have no resources ;-).

wc poland wrote:

You must spend your own gold.

The trading-possibility is only if yo don't have the ressources you need ... not you want.

You can trade only once per round and you don't get any resources back if you pay over. Example: trade track 10, you spend 1 wood and need 1 gold for a building. Generally you can trade 1:2 so you could get 2 gold but there is only 1 gold needed so the 2nd gold is lost.

It is only very flexible if you don't have the needed resources/ a joker to get the cards or buildings.

If you have 5 gold and 1 jewelry and you want to buy the card for 2 ressources you must spend 2 gold. It is not allowed to trade 1 jewelry for 2 other resorces and use the gold later in the game.

It isn't much powerful but flexible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Busse
Belgium
Hasselt
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were wondering too, and we played it as follows:

Yes, you may

Yes, you may

Yes, you may

Not sure it is correct, but it sure feels like being the most logical way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imre Hauszknecht
Hungary
Pécs
flag msg tools
We'll kill you with kindness!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two questions too.

Does the following statement means, that I can exchange (at position 1) for example 1 wood and 1 schmuck for 1 gold, or must the the goods be identic (2 schmuck, 2 wood etc.)?

Quote:
• ...dabei Schmuck und Rohstoffe nach eigener Wahl beliebig tauschen

I am at position 10 on the trader track. I own 2 woods. I occupy a building wich needs 1 wood, 1 stone and 1 gold. May I trade 1 wood for one stone and one gold? Or do I have to exchange my 1 wood for 2 of the same resources for exapmle 2 ore or 2 gold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masa kari
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@1: you are able to exchange 2 whatever (ressource or schmuck) for one whatever you need. (no Points, meeples, food and so on ;-))

@2: First is correct: If you are able to perform an 1:2 exchange than you can give one schmuck/ressource and replace with that 2 missing ressources or schmuck (of course you can mix both)

For example you will build a house with costs: 1 stone 1 gold 1 schmuck and you are at 9 or 10 at the trader track:

if you have 1 schmuck than you need 1 something other to exchange it for 1 stone and 1 gold

if you have 1 stone, than you need 1 something other to exchange it for 1 schmuck and 1 gold

if you have 1 gold, than you need 1 something other to exchange it for 1 schmuck and 1 stone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masa kari
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought i was right because of: "Das heißt, er darf 2 Schmuck, 2 Rohstoffe oder 1 Schmuck und 1 Rohstoff abgeben und erhält dafür 1 beliebige Zutat, die er für den Kauf benötigt."

That means you can trade for 2 ressources/schmuck for 1 ressources/schmuck which he needs for buying the card/hut. If he already owns the needed resources why it should be allowed to trade?

After the last post from Hans im Glück forum i'm not sure at all ... really unclear and i'm not sure about my point of view ... really bad. Now i don't know anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masa kari
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, now i know it. HiG has changed the rule between our pre-release-Version shortly before Essen and the final version of the rules.

Now you can trade once in every round without the old limitations.
Only requirement is you are at least at step 1 on the trader track and you have something to trade of course (ressource or decoration/schmuck).

Sorry for the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Aldebert
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
I do think that some of these trading examples need proper clarification from HiG.

Vitriool wrote:
Of course, you do not need to trade to be able to buy the card, as you already have a resource to pay for the card, but this situation is a good example of a question that needs further clarification as to what is permitted. I personally would allow you to trade the 2 decorations for resources to buy the civ card (but, as you said though, the excess is not kept).

Vitriool wrote:
Again, another question that requires further clarification, although on this, I would allow the trade to take place, enabling you to keep the gold.

However, it might be the designers intent that you have to use any resources that can be used (that you currently have) to pay for something, before any traded resources are spent. This might help with the undervaluing of gold in the expansion. This would mean that in the first case, the gold must be used to purchase the card and so trading would not be allowed, and in the second case you use the 1 gold as part payment for the civ card and then trade for the second resource (the extra traded resource is not taken as it becomes an excess resource).

So, is there an official clarification on these two points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masa kari
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The publisher answers in the Hans im Glück Forum/Comments area (www.hans-im-glueck.de answer from HiG, 15.02.2012 at 13:49):

The player can trade once per round. ("Round" means during activating all your workers)

He dosen't need to use ressources in his stock. He can still trade if he has some ressources in his stock.

For huts with more 1-7 of any ressources: you can trade 1 ressources/decoration for 2 Gold and building the hut.

Exceptional rule "if the player takes more items than he needs to pay for the building or card, he does not keep recieve the excess."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Aldebert
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok. Thank you for your answer.
I suppose I can trade only ressources needed to buy the building: for instance, I can't get any gold if no gold is needed to buy the building

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls