Subject: Story 4 - Has anyone does this? ***SPOILERS*** rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kin Poon
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
We just played Story 4 Classroom curses with Choice 1B, where I was the keeper.

Basically for me to win I had to get the Hound to escape into the Gallery (where the investigators start).

The hound spawns in the attic storage after the second last event card is resolved. You then have 6 turns to him from there to the Gallery. The keeper action to move monsters allowed the hound to move two spaces per turn, which essentially gives me 12 movements to reach the destination. We ended up drawing the game because I was not able to reach the gallery in time (last event card resolved), nor could the investigators kill the beast.

I looked at the map carefully and realised that the hound could not have made it out of the map in 12 moves, THEN i realised that I didn't do what the Hound can do as a Beast monster - Move through the vents. I was to hell bent on getting the Hound out that I didn't realise that he could have taken the shortcut through the vents, which proved to be the only way to make it out in time.

Anyone else do something stupid like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Not played this one through yet, thanks for pointing this out as it will stop me making the same mistake.

Regards

Gnome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Phantom

Rochester
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same thing the first time I ran this. I completely missed the vent and started the wrong way. Back tracking was quicker than continuing ahead, but I wasn't able to make it out in time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Poon
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
MellonHead1980 wrote:
We just played Story 4 Classroom curses with Choice 1B, where I was the keeper.

Basically for me to win I had to get the Hound to escape into the Gallery (where the investigators start).

The hound spawns in the attic storage after the second last event card is resolved. You then have 6 turns to him from there to the Gallery. The keeper action to move monsters allowed the hound to move two spaces per turn, which essentially gives me 12 movements to reach the destination. We ended up drawing the game because I was not able to reach the gallery in time (last event card resolved), nor could the investigators kill the beast.

I looked at the map carefully and realised that the hound could not have made it out of the map in 12 moves, THEN i realised that I didn't do what the Hound can do as a Beast monster - Move through the vents. I was to hell bent on getting the Hound out that I didn't realise that he could have taken the shortcut through the vents, which proved to be the only way to make it out in time.

Anyone else do something stupid like this?

Sorry I meant to say that I was the keeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izak Marais
South Africa
Stellenbosch
Western cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this on Tuesday and I was the keeper. Although I did head straight for the vent, Gloria had acquired bind monster, which allowed them to stun the beast for several turns, securing them the win.

Even when going through the vent, the timing for this one is tight. If the investigators land 2 stuns it is no longer possible for the keeper to win. (Note that I do not consider using the "take sample" action for one addition movement to be a fair use of that card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Poon
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
izakmarais wrote:
We played this on Tuesday and I was the keeper. Although I did head straight for the vent, Gloria had acquired bind monster, which allowed them to stun the beast for several turns, securing them the win.

Even when going through the vent, the timing for this one is tight. If the investigators land 2 stuns it is no longer possible for the keeper to win. (Note that I do not consider using the "take sample" action for one addition movement to be a fair use of that card).

Do you mean you feel it's not fair for the investigators that the monster gets to move one space after taking samples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izak Marais
South Africa
Stellenbosch
Western cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I feel that if the keeper has no intention of getting the sample to an altar it is cheap to use the "take sample" action only for its extra movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Poon
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's fair enough.

However, I wouldn't consider it too cheap, as the keeper has to spend threat to use this action, just like he would playing the other actions cards e.g. command minion, creatures of the night. If I'm not mistaken, he can only take sample once per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izak Marais
South Africa
Stellenbosch
Western cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MellonHead1980 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, he can only take sample once per turn?

That's correct yes, but still... Anyhow, this is a matter of personal keeper preference. I read somewhere it on some other thread here and agreed with the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
We just did Story 4 last night. I was the keeper and I chose 1A where the humans had to escape. I had to reposition some Mi-Go and I forgot until later that they could travel through the vent.
I also saw investigators try to suicide to victory since someone was by the gallery when the objective was revealed, so they just needed to get all the investigators off the map. It was kind of silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.