Popular Tags: [View All]
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ken, Drew, John E., Derk

Last weekend, Ken and I went home for our ten-year high school reunion. While we were there, we played a couple games of Apples to Apples which received an expected warm reception, as it’s a light and humorous party game. However, Ken and I also introduced his mother to David and Goliath. We mostly picked it because of the time constraints and its simplicity, and we both fully anticipated a three-player game to less than spectacular. But we were both pleasantly surprised to find out that while the game is better with four, it was still a very good game with three. It’s always a good thing to find a viable three-player game.

But on to the current game. I knew that Drew was a major Bridge fiend, and I was anxious to see what he thought of this interesting take on the trick-taking family of card games. After explaining the brief rules we started in. The first round went exceptionally well for me, and I was able to knock out a very respectable score, while John and Drew turned in some average performances. Ken, on the other hand, just got hammered, and I don’t think he was able to score any face value cards.

My initial successes were not necessarily a good thing however, as everyone lined up to take me down. Combined with some truly reprehensible cards, my second round was passable only because I took sooo many single cards. Drew and John started to understand the card-play a little more and took some decent points. However, it would be Ken’s round as he took as many points as Drew and John scored combined.

The third round would be where I really got hammered. I turned in a truly pitiful performance, while Drew and John racked up some serious pointage. Almost everyone took twice my score. As we entered the final round, the scores were very tight and anyone could take the game. However, John would prevail and narrowly take his first victory with our group!

John: 34 + 24 + 55 + 39 = 152
Ken: 16 + 46 + 42 + 42 = 146
Drew: 31 + 20 + 49 + 46 = 145
Derk: 51 + 31 + 22 + 30 = 140

I’m really start to love this game. It’s a perfect blend of light/heavy, and although I’d like to play a trump-variety of trick-taking game sometime soon, I’m constantly surprised by this game’s depth. I love the fact that the game can explained to a trick-taking gamer in two seconds, and that the game is scalable from three to six players. This is easily the best card game I’ve bought/played in recent history.

<em>Drew: I really enjoy games like this. Another play or two will let me know if my initial impressions are as good as they should be. Rating: 8</em>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.