Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backstory

The monks who serve Ludomania, the mad godess of Gaming, are given to a quiet life of contemplation and playing highly rated games. Then one day a stranger came among them, bearing a terrible secret--the secret of four sided chess, sought for three thousand years. Contagion and heresy spread through the valley, until the wrath of Ludomania rose against the stranger. He was forced to flee from the valley before a river of molten lava, dressed in nothing but a toga. But the stranger left behind the curse of lycanthropy. The master told his monks nearly half of them had been infected. but Ludomania had promised a cure. If any humans remained alive when day dawned on the fourth day coming, all would be healed. He would tell them his plan the next day for containing the wolves until then. But for the master, tomorrow never came. Instead, the wolves enjoyed their first nighttime feast.

Characters

Seers have the ability to meditate on a fellow monk each night, and learn whether they are seer or wolf. The only challenge will be to get them to believe you.

Werewolves feed as a pack each night. Werewolves start the game knowing the identities of all players.

Goals

For the seers -- lynch 3 wolves in a row.

For the wolves -- Fool the seers into making a mistake. As soon as the seers don't outnumber you, you can rise openly and slay them all.

Rules

The game begins on the first night, and is decided by the lynch on the third day.

Night phase:

Seer -- submit the name of another player to me via PM. You will be told if the player is seer or or wolf.

Wolf -- (second and third night) submit the name of a player to me via PM. The player who gets the most votes will be eaten. Ties will be broken in favor of the earliest eating vote. If the wolves decide to eat another wolf, this will leave them hungy, and they will get two extra kills on the 4th night. The seers still must lynch a wolf every day to win.

Night will end when all players have submitted a name. The role of the eaten player(s) will NOT be revealed.

Day phase:

All players may vote and unvote freely. Day ends when at least 2/3 of the players vote nightfall. Highest vote total is lynched, with ties broken in favor of the oldest continuous vote. Players need not have voted to vote nightfall, and may freely unvote nightfall. Players are trusted to not delay play indefinitely when the discussion seems to be over. The role of the lynched player WILL be revealed -- and if it is a seer, the seers lose.

No PMs between players are allowed, either at day or night.

Votes and unvotes must be bolded. Unbolded votes will not be counted. Edited posts will not be counted, unless I happen to see it before its edit. It is a player's responsibility to correct me when I make a mistake counting his/her vote.

Unusual Rules

Ludomania does not suffer her worshippers to talk to others before they talk to her. Any seer who states (clearly or indirectly) the identity of who he intends to view will be punished by Ludomania. Ludomania will send a cloud of doom to rain upon her worshipper (moderator will post). That night his vision will be cloudy, and have only a 2/3 chance of being correct.

Any seer who states (clearly or indirectly) the identity of another seer and the player that seer should vote for will also be visited by the cloud of doom. The seer who made the suggestion will have a cloudy vision, but the seer he mentioned will not -- unless he publicly agrees with the suggestion. If he publicly agrees with the suggestion (directly or indirectly), he also will be visited by the cloud of doom.

Any werewolf breaking either of those rules will also be visited by the cloud of doom. It will have no effect on the wolf's nighttime activities.

A seer may say that 'somebody' should view a specific person, as long as it is not clear which seer that 'somebody' should be.

Ludomania also prefers her worshippers to not be profane. Any swearing will also provoke a visit from the cloud of doom (though this will free the offender to make all the viewing suggestions he likes, that day). Ludomania will turn a blind eye to language such as "darn", "heck", or even "Maybe I will, gosh."

Pace

Pace is up to the participants. Night ends when all instructions are in, day ends when 2/3 of the players vote nightfall. But players are required to post OR pm the mod once every 36 hours (excluding weekends), or risk being declared missing. If a player knows they will be gone longer than that, please give me instructions in advance of absence.

Missing Players

If a player is declared missing, the role will be turned over to a replacement, if one can be found. If not, the moderator will auto-play the missing player according to the following rules:

Night phase:

Seers will randomly view a player they have not viewed before.

Wolves will randomly vote for a seer to eat.

Day phase:

Seers will announce the player they viewed the previous night. They will cast a vote randomly among any wolves the seer has personally seen, but otherwise will not vote. The player will not vote nightfall.

Wolves will announce a random player they have not viewed before. There is a 50/50 chance the wolf will tell the truth about that person. The wolf will cast a vote randomly among any wolves he has claimed to see, but otherwise will not vote. The player will not vote nightfall.

The auto-play may obviously result in sub-optimal play. So don't disappear, you may hurt your team.

Players may reclaim auto-played roles by reappearing.

Suggested Strategy

Whether wolf or seer, your first Day 1 post will probably be something like this:

"I am a seer, and last night I learned X was a Y"

After everyone has revealed their visions, it is time for analysis. There is no posting limit or restrictions on analysis. Only plans for *future* viewings may be punished by the cloud, discussion of past viewings is expected and encouraged.

If the seers seem to be on the right track, wolves may consider voting to eat one of their own to deprive the seers of a safe lynch, or validate the visions of a false seer. Eating a wolf will give the wolves enough extra kills on Night 4 to decide the game with the Day 3 lynch.

Player list
1) Latria
2) Moonmonster
3) jwandke
4) jmilum
5) Shugyosha
6) seanp
7) Alexfrog
8) dbmurph22
9) bluebehir

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Werewolf: Valley of the Seers -- NIGHT 1, role notifications going out
Checking in. I dont think we should really talk until the game starts and we ave the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking in also. Nice to meet you Alexfrog.

I don't see why we cannot communicate beforehand - the game has begun, has it not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game has begun, but it is night. Please save what you saw last night for daytime, as that is a Day Phase action. Ludomania may forgive sinners today, but she will not forgive them tomorrow.

Sorry, my fault for sending out the seer views as they came in. I should have waited until I had all players responding, then sent them out in a group. I'll do that on Night 2, if there is a night 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Werewolf: Valley of the Seers -- GIP, Day 1
The monks who serve Ludomania, the mad godess of Gaming, are given to a quiet life of contemplation and playing highly rated games. Then one day a stranger came among them, bearing a terrible secret--the secret of four sided chess, sought for three thousand years. Contagion and heresy spread through the valley, until the wrath of Ludomania rose against the stranger. He was forced to flee from the valley before a river of molten lava, dressed in nothing but a toga. But the stranger left behind the curse of lycanthropy. The master told his monks nearly half of them had been infected. but Ludomania had promised a cure. If any humans remained alive when day dawned on the fourth day coming, all would be healed. He would tell them his plan the next day for containing the wolves until then. But for the master, tomorrow never came. Instead, the wolves enjoyed their first nighttime feast.

Gentleman, all nine monks have responded. Start your engines, and beware the cloud of doom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
The Game has begun, but it is night. Please save what you saw last night for daytime, as that is a Day Phase action. Ludomania may forgive sinners today, but she will not forgive them tomorrow.

Sorry, my fault for sending out the seer views as they came in. I should have waited until I had all players responding, then sent them out in a group. I'll do that on Night 2, if there is a night 2.

Just tell us when we can start to post our visions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Werewolf: Valley of the Seers -- Day 1, GIP
You may now post your visions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a seer, and last night I learned Jwandke was a Seer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a seer, and I learned that jmilum is a WOLF! Learned my lesson this time, I did...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'll get this on the way. I live in Australia, so 1:30 in the afternoon for me is probably when you guys are sleeping.

I viewed Jwandke, Jwandke is a fellow seer.

Does anybody mind me geeking out a little and thinking about the maths of this out loud? I like to freestyle type, and I am usually posting in a low post zone. I'll effectively be a "low count" poster in the game, but I'll try to make them count. At the beginning it's tricky though.

Anyway, I really like the maths of this game...puzzle... but I haven't yet thought it through. And now is as good a time as any. (If you don't wish to read geeky math talk guesswork, stop reading.... now.)

Effectively, we have 9 people, five good, four evil. The four evil know who is good and who is evil. The good know only themself to be good.

So what can we deduce from this?
1. Each of five seers have a 4/8 chance on the first night to pick a wolf or a seer. Statistically, we should get 2 honest wolf answers in the first night. there is a 50% chance of three honest wolf answers. (In other words, if you ran this game 50 times, in 25 of those, you'd have three seers picking a wolf.)

1a. There is 1/64 chance of any two seers picking the same person to view on the first night. there is 1/128 chance of any two seers picking the same wolf on the first night.

2. Logically, seers have only two options. They can view a wolf, and announce that wolf as a wolf. They can view a seer, and announce they are a seer. Wolves, on the other hand can announce a seer as a seer, announce a seer as a wolf, announce a wolf as a wolf, or announce a wolf as a seer. So four options.

3. On the first day, at least two honest wolves will be known by two seers (on average), but the four wolves have the option of making things difficult. They can place up to four false wolf claims. (Imagine how tricky it would be if almost everyone was viewed as a wolf!!)
Contingency 3a)
1 wolf gives a false wolf statement on a seer. We have three people claiming the other is a wolf, and will likely vote for that person. We have six people who can split their votes, it can come out to three versus three, versus three. Right at the end, a wolf that knows it is voting for a wolf can switch to the false wolf (the seer) and the seer gets lynched. The wolves win.
If the vote is 4 versus 4 versus 1, the seer voting 1 will have a tough decision, and if they pick the wolf, it will be 5 versus 4. This is safe, but difficult to achieve. It can't be the wolf on the 1, because the other wolves know that this person needs to be voted for. It would mean that two of the wolves are voting against one of the wolves.
If the vote is 4 versus 3 versus 2, I really cannot predict what will happen, or what it means. If the four wolves band together, they will lynch a seer, and the seers lose because they split over two wolves. If 3 wolves band together, one votes against a true wolf, the seers are split either 3/2 or 4/1. The seer in the small group must band with either the three or the 4. This could win, or lose, depending on their luck and skill *under pressure*. The wolf of course would then jump onto the false seer and win the game, unless the split 4/1 was united as 5 seers vs 4 wolves.
Anything more than this, 5 versus 4, and it clearly shows that wolves are voting against themselves.

Contingency 3b)
Two wolves reveal a seer as a wolf.
Now we have four people labelled as wolves. The four people will likely begin their vote at the wolves they viewed. This leaves 5 people to split their votes. It could go 3/2/2/2. I would suggest if it did, it would mean that two wolves held their original view, and two voted with one other. Hence the three. All seers need to change their vote to one wolf. All 5 seers could choose one single wolf now, that wolf has 1/4 chance of being a true wolf, but the ones that are empty have a much better chance of being true. The only way this could work is if we could coordinate the swap. And we're not allowed to invoke the cloud of doom, but a risky view that night would be definitely worth it to prevent losing the game that day. Once we knew the two empty wolves, (if the wolves weren't quick enough to act) then we could be more certain about picking those two almost evenly and getting a wolf. Actually no, we'd still need to be 5 versus 4.

Actually, the more I think about this the less I like these odds. I think I'll stop here, unless somebody actually asks me to continue. And I doubt anyone will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latria wrote:

I concur! Jwandke is definitely a seer!

There is my 1/64 chance of picking the same person as somebody else!

That figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluebehir wrote:
Latria wrote:

I concur! Jwandke is definitely a seer!

There is my 1/64 chance of picking the same person as somebody else!

That figures.

Let's hope Jwandke got lucky then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schneider
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Ah, so nice that the only game I forgot I was signed up for, is the one that'll only need 1-3 posts a day.

I am a seer, and viewed my fellow seer Latria. I'm guessing we can safely know that jwandke is most certainly a seer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MoonMonster wrote:
Ah, so nice that the only game I forgot I was signed up for, is the one that'll only need 1-3 posts a day.

I am a seer, and viewed my fellow seer Latria. I'm guessing we can safely know that jwandke is most certainly a seer.

Wow! If all statements are true, the game is almost in the bag. Can the wolves please come out to lie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
four visions so far. Once we have all nine, we can start solving the riddle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Can you believe I got the vanilla villager again?

You can't? Oh OK:

I am a Seer and my vision last night was of Moonmonster ... the Nasty Wolf!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am a seer. Sounds like many of you viewed me. I will reveal who I looked at after a few more people say what they saw. Maybe someone saw a seer/wolf differently than I did?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
I am a seer, and I learned that jmilum is a WOLF! Learned my lesson this time, I did...

I am the WITNESS... no, no, wait, wrong game (deja vous....)

Hmmmm, wouldn't that just be too ironic. I am a SEER folks. I viewed alexfrog last night and he is SEER, but now I also know that seanp is a WOLF. Thanks seanp. I hate to get you killed on the first day again, but you jumped the gun TOO fast this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't wait to see what alexfrog says! So exciting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Now the long wait until the sun comes up in Seattle.

Or day breaks and Alex gets up and posts his vision anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
seanp wrote:

I am the WITNESS... no, no, wait, wrong game (deja vous....)

Hmmmm, wouldn't that just be too ironic. I am a SEER folks. I viewed alexfrog last night and he is SEER, but now I also know that seanp is a WOLF. Thanks seanp. I hate to get you killed on the first day again, but you jumped the gun TOO fast this time.

You are NOT pulling this on me again! The only problem in this game is that we can't afford to kill me to prove you are lying. Trust me, folks... jmilum is GOOD at pulling this stunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwandke wrote:
I am a seer. Sounds like many of you viewed me. I will reveal who I looked at after a few more people say what they saw. Maybe someone saw a seer/wolf differently than I did?

I need you to post so that I can vote for somebody right away, but I am guessing that you saw somebody as a wolf, and waiting for that guy's vision first.

I will be sleeping soon. Good night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
You are NOT pulling this on me again! Trust me, folks... jmilum is GOOD at pulling this stunt.

Yeah, I did it last game. The only problem here is that YOUR pulling it this time! Would I be stupid enough to do it TWICE in a row??? I'm getting setup here. Maybe I deserve it for what happened in LH, but I won't let all the other villagers lose with me. You formed your little plan and posted before I did, but no one else is going to fall for this seanp. But I guess it will be up to them, and a mighty short game for us all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
seanp wrote:
You are NOT pulling this on me again! Trust me, folks... jmilum is GOOD at pulling this stunt.

Yeah, I did it last game. The only problem here is that YOUR pulling it this time! Would I be stupid enough to do it TWICE in a row??? I'm getting setup here. Maybe I deserve it for what happened in LH, but I won't let all the other villagers lose with me. You formed your little plan and posted before I did, but no one else is going to fall for this seanp. But I guess it will be up to them, and a mighty short game for us all.

Honestly, I don't care about you guys. I just need to know Jwandke's vote and I can vote away.

We already have a pool of four votes here. (Me, Moonmonster, Jwanke and Blue)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latria wrote:
jmilum wrote:
seanp wrote:

Honestly, I don't care about you guys. I just need to know Jwandke's vote and I can vote away.

We already have a pool of four votes here. (Me, Moonmonster, Jwanke and Blue)

Unfortunately at least one of you is lying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.