Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game last night and I really like the game. It plays quickly, is simple to teach and is composed solely oftough decisions.

However, we may have been doing something wrong (or the cube distribution was just wonky) because we found the British taking over quite early. This may be due to the fact that neither of us wanted to give the other an advantage so we kept trying to take cubes to stop the other person from winning a province where they had more cubes. The net result was the first three provinces went to the British.

The reason I bring this up is that it makes the "last card can't be played unless it gives victory" very significant in the case of a British takeover win, If both players have the same number of sets (which we made sure we did), the winner is the player who played the last card. This kept forcing me to play cards rather than accept a tie in the fourth province and should have still resulted in me losing eventually since she could play her last card since the act of her playing it gives her the victory.

An interesting strategic element and one I'll remember is making sure you have the tempi right before letting the British take over Siam.

The other thing that we didn't realize until reading the BGG rules clarifications afterwards was that "controlled" means it's been scored. Yellow having a majority in a province (or being in the minority in their home province) does not mean they control it (or don't control it) and the "play next to a controlled province" doesn't apply (or does for their home province).

A great game and one I look forward to playing quite a bit. I'm very interested to see how it plays with partners and am amazed to finally own a game that was specifically designed for 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.