Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: too_many_zombies [+] [View All]
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
So, based on an idea I had about five years ago, I've spent the last year working dilligently on a game design.

My game, Zombie Dash is a fast and fun race around a graveyard, dodging and killing zombies while stealing treasures from under other players' noses. Based on Ave Caesar and Robo Rally, it uses hand management and a bit of programmed movement to get around. After a bunch of playtesting, I have two working prototypes in good shape, and am trying it out with other designers at Protospeil North at HammerCon in Hamilton next week. I was going to wait til after the Con and a little more input, to post my rules and files on the Geek.

Then, last week in Essen, out of nowhere, Inner Kingdom Games released Zombie Dash. It is described thus:

Zombie Dash is a light strategy, zombie apocalypse party game. Players move their Human Tokens along a city street with each human being pursued by a single zombie. The last surviving player, or the first player to reach the safe zone, wins the game. Players are eliminated from the round if their Human is caught by the pursuing Zombie.

Movement is managed through a shared deck of movement cards that combines Human Run cards and Zombie Chase cards. Each turn, each player is dealt two cards and plays both cards on any player. Each player can have only two cards played on them each turn. The strategy element of the game is seen in the choice of what cards to play on what player in what order.

Verrrrrry similar to my game.

At the very least, it seems a name change is in order.(officially open to suggestions..) But what else? Totally retheme it? (again open to suggestions..) Totally rework it? Totally scrap it? Or is there room for yet another Zombie race game?

Let me know your thoughts..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought is that zombie games reached excess a year ago.

I recommend you re-theme it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your game has significant enough differences than the one just released that you can just go with a different name.

Perhaps call it Graveyard Dash, Or simply Graveyard.

Well just checked and there is a Graveyard Dash on BGG. You might want to take a look at that game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can empathize with you. I was working on a light card game where you build a dungeon to kill heroes and take their equipment. It had heroes forming in a line, certain heroes moving up to the center, and the order you played your cards was of tantamount importance...

And then Dungeon Lords came out. Much bigger, heavier game, but the combat in it has a very similar feel to the combat in the game I was developing.

C'est la vie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Zombies = more played out than moody vampires at a 11th grade sleepover. If there is one theme in pop culture I loathe more than vampires, it's zombies. Please just die. Die zombies. Die. Leave my television. Leave my books. Let my horror movies go in peace. Take Mr. Romero back to the one-trick horse farm he spawned from.

Re-theme it. It's extremely doubtful your mechanic execution is remotely similar.

May I suggest:

An archeological dig in a haunted excavation spot?

Racoons at a picnic or campsite stealing food?

A robot graveyard where you salvage parts to upgrade yourself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
May I suggest:
Racoons at a picnic or campsite stealing food?

Eric, I now have a special place in my heart for you.

Yes I would re-theme it. While this is no doubt very irritating, you seem to be taking it well, good games can stand on their mechanics alone, so you have not lost anything of great value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yours sounds like something I'd try. The other sounds like something I'd never want to play - play two random cards every round and possibly be eliminated? Ick. I'd just re-name yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
Die zombies. Die.

But zombies are dead. That's their ..er.. charm? zombie

But anyways, I would suggest a re-theme if possible. But if there are significant enough differences then a name change should be enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well at least the look-alike game wasn't put out by a company that you had shown your WIP to once.

And I agree. Please God no more @#$%^&*ing Zombies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
There is only one solution:
Take Richard Hamblen to court over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I still like zombies. Point being that the retheming decision (or not) probably shouldn't be based on comments in a BGG thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Help me to help you! Help me to help you!
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I still like zombies. Point being that the retheming decision (or not) probably shouldn't be based on comments in a BGG thread...

Me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer

I have to say, that in no way could anyone have seen or been influenced by my design. It has existed only in my notebook untill the prototypes were made this summer. It is just some crazy coincidence.

I also had thoughts a while ago about rethemeing it. I read a geeklist last year about how zombies are an overdone theme. I did think of archeologists running through a buried temple being chased by ..i don't know.. mummies or something. Another thought was to have space ships careening through space, landing on planets to gather resources while avoiding alien spacecraft. Though I have to admit, I DO like the ideas of racoons in the garbage..

However, Zombie games keep coming out and selling (TWO Walking Dead board games this summer alone!) A newspaper article last week stated that zombies are the new vampires. The whole genre is getting some reanimation, if you will, to rise to the forefront of popular culture.

I definitely appreciate all your thoughts and suggestions, because at this point, it just feels like I've ben punched in the stomach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkCelt wrote:
I have to say, that in no way could anyone have seen or been influenced by my design. It has existed only in my notebook untill the prototypes were made this summer. It is just some crazy coincidence.

If it makes you feel any better, Ron Moore (the BSG guy) seems to have a private ethereal viewing window into my fiction notebook and computer harddrive, and has been watching me for the last 20 years.

DarkCelt wrote:
However, Zombie games keep coming out and selling (TWO Walking Dead board games this summer alone!) A newspaper article last week stated that zombies are the new vampires. The whole genre is getting some reanimation, if you will, to rise to the forefront of popular culture.

But what's your plan with the game? Because if you're punting it to a publisher, you won't see said game hitting the shelves for probably a minnimum of 1-2 years. Likely longer. Any decent zombie game out there has probably been in the hopper for awhile now. DOn't jump on the zombie theme because it looks hot. IMO, this thing will be hitting cultural fatigue shortly after World War Z is released.

If you MUST use zombies (but please... don't) - is there any way to merge it with something else? Zombie raccoons, perhaps?

DarkCelt wrote:
I definitely appreciate all your thoughts and suggestions, because at this point, it just feels like I've ben punched in the stomach.

This is nothing, kid. You'll get over it. Dust off and be on your way. If the mechanics are fun, theme is the least of your concerns, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
MOTHDevil wrote:

Zombies = more played out than moody vampires at a 11th grade sleepover. If there is one theme in pop culture I loathe more than vampires, it's zombies. Please just die. Die zombies. Die. Leave my television. Leave my books. Let my horror movies go in peace. Take Mr. Romero back to the one-trick horse farm he spawned from.

As they say, if you don't like it, don't buy/play it. It's not like out of the hundreds of games coming out each year, 95% of them are zombie games. If that was the case, I would completely agree with you. But it's only a small fraction, and if you cannot find anything else that grabs your interest out of all games being released, then you have much bigger issues and board games shouldn't be a priority.

For me...I love zombies and think that there can never be enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
RoC1909 wrote:

For me...I love zombies and think that there can never be enough.

The same thing has been said about western movies, silli bands, and the califonia raisins. I'm just trying to help allievate the OP's pain and point him towards a potentially longer-lived solution.

You might like 'em, but zombies ain't forever. Corpses eventually rot too much to stay together. IMO, there's not enough substance in the concept to support it long term. My suggestions only partially have to do with my complete shrug directed toward the "genre." I'm pretty good at pegging a fad versus a niche... and zombies Sir, like 'em or hate 'em, are a fad.

You may say I'll be eating crow in a couple years (or brains), but I've got my calendar marked...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Celt - I happen to know you LOVE raccoons more than you love whiskey, so I like the suggestion to re-work it to involve raccoons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Die zombies. Die.

It's German for "The Zombies. The."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer of Zombie Dash is from San Antonio. I can tell you that I first playtested his game back... in May, maybe June of 2010... It definitely didn't come out of "nowhere".

Zombies are the new vampires. *shrug*

And for the record, I recommended a re-theme the first time I played his game... My idea was obviously not taken under advisement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any reason that the pursuing monsters have to be zombies? There are lots of scenarios in which humans are chased by some other creatures (or by other humans).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya keep working your mechanics and playtesting. Themes come and go. U can adjust in the fly. The mechanics are the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rats... Nothing scarier than being chased by rats, especially the big black ones.

Sheep... Nothing scarier, and more perturbing, than being chased by sheep... (We had a local factory my brother worked at that used sheep instead of guard dogs. They had two big muscle guys cornered for an hour once who'd wandered into the restricted section by accident. Scary things sheep, and rams...)

Raccoons... Nothing scarier, and more sneaky, than a raccoon after your picnic basket... er... wait a minute... whistle

apeloverage wrote:
Is there any reason that the pursuing monsters have to be zombies? There are lots of scenarios in which humans are chased by some other creatures (or by other humans).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about zombies being chased by humans? What a bad day. You're already dead and now you got these humans chasing you. I bet some clever strategy could help me escape.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
MOTHDevil wrote:
You might like 'em, but zombies ain't forever. Corpses eventually rot too much to stay together. IMO, there's not enough substance in the concept to support it long term. My suggestions only partially have to do with my complete shrug directed toward the "genre." I'm pretty good at pegging a fad versus a niche... and zombies Sir, like 'em or hate 'em, are a fad.

Only true if you also think vampires are just a fad. Zombies have been going strongly for at least a decade (28 Days Later came out in 2002 and is the leading edge of the current zombie "fad") without any sign they are relenting. (THEY JUST KEEP COMING!!) Fads don't last a whole decade. They usually fade much faster than that.

Otherwise I agree: no more zombies please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space/SciFi seems to be on the rise. Never much of a hit in Germany but possibly changing.

So, players could be humans flying around space, collecting technology? from planets while avoiding those pesky green aliens goo in their saucers until they have enough tech to wipe out the green menace forever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.