Subject: Looking for something like HeroQuest. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Erik
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Years ago I played HeroQuest, I wish I had bought it then.
So doing some research I found out it was out of print (ofcourse).

Anyways, I was wondering which game which is currently available that offers some of the same gameplay elements that Heroquest had.

Im looking for a boardgame with a good campaign driven storyline in a fantasy setting.
It should involve strategic combat, preferably a little bit more strategy than in HQ.
A system with equipment/money/spells etc should be in there too, basically anything that has to do with character advancement (over the campaigns).
Some nice looking warhammer style miniatures are also a big bonus, as are some terrain features like doors, chests etc. (Im trying to ease some of my buddies into the whole tabletop strategy/rpg genre. They play games on pc, so they expect some sort of visual factor in a game I imagine. So stuff like pnp is a definite no-go at the moment)
Last but not least, the campaigns or rounds or whatever shouldnt take much longer than about 1,5 hours

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on what games I should check out.
I'd really like to know how to acquire these types of games as well. (anyone have any good shopping sites?)
Oh and before I forget, I just found this site half an hour ago. its so cool, a lot of good info here, very nice.

thanks for reading
Erik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Oettinger
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From what I've read about it, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (which is about to be released, I believe), looks to be somewhat like HeroQuest.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17226

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, welcome to the site. Second, check out this geeklist of ultimate dungeon crawlers:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

But I agree that Descent looks like the best choice. Though, i don't know how long it will take to play a game. I would guess more than an hour and a half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Third, I know there is at least one Heroquest in the Marketplace, (cause it's mine!). But Descent does look very similar, though a bit more expensive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Dungeons and Dragons: The Boardgame.

I think thats the most similar one I've found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's set in a city, but Mordheim seems like it might be great for you. It is a smaller scale variation of warhamer with a really good advancement system. Each player has a group of about a dozen figures.

Hybrid is another option, but I haven't played that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another option for all you dungeon-crawl-loving geeks: Rackham will be releasing 'dungeon crawl' rules for Hybrid in September, in their quarterly magazine 'Cry Havok'. The rules are already available in the latest French issue of the mag (#6), but the translation lag time means that it won't be out here 'til September. According to some people on their english message board, "Each player picks a single figure that is going to be his/her hero to create a group of heroes that will confront the dangers of the laboratory. The heroes can apperently gain experience and 'evolve'".

Of course, this means going and getting extra figs, etc. for the game (making an already expensive game even more expensive), but hey- the components for Hybrid are pretty much already the best on the market, so at least you're getting something for your money.

For those of you not knowing what I'm talking about, Hybrid is sort of a science-fantasy boardgame inthe vein of Space Hulk. It is produced by the French company Rackham, makers of the miniatures wargame 'Confrontation', a game similar in style to Warhammer. Many of the figures from Confrontation can be used in Hybrid- they are sold in little blister packs with cards for the stats for both games (Conf. and Hybrid).

I already like the rules system in Hybrid, but I'm really looking forward to this- I had originally picked up the game thinking it was more of a dungeon crawl. It's a good and interesting game right now, but this alternate way to play should be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed your statement:

Some nice looking warhammer style miniatures are also a big bonus, as are some terrain features like doors, chests etc. (Im trying to ease some of my buddies into the whole tabletop strategy/rpg genre.

I would have to say of all the most recent offerings, including Runebound, Return of the Heroes, and Talisman 3rd Ed., the new game Descent is the most like what you're asking about. It's basically like a super improved version of Heroquest.

Take a look at the home page and the rules for it, since it lists all the stuff in the box (including 80 detailed plastic minis).

Now, if you want the ultimate big kahuna for when they've tired of Descent, get a copy of Magic Realm from Avalon Hill off Ebay, although it often fetches a good price...and check out its page here on BGG.

cheers,
John Green

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Noneyobusiness
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Why not just buy a copy or two of HeroQuest off of ebay? I had never heard of HeroQuest until a couple of years ago when some friends introduced it to me. I eventually ended up buying 2 HeroQuest sets (1 complete, 1 mostly complete).

You can usually get the HeroQuest game in decent condition for $40 + S&H. If you were willing to stalk ebay for a long time, you might could swipe a set for as low as $20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven alexander
United States
portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to fork out the cash, purchase a copy of Advanced HeroQuest on Ebay. I finally did, and consider it well worth it. All the elements of HeroQuest, except you make the board as you go along and characters can advance, etc. Prepare to pay a good $100, tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Alphey
Australia
New Norfolk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be easy enough to pick up a copy of HQ off eBay - I've gotten 4 in the past 2-3 months, and that's just within Australia!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another suggestion that has *some* of the things you are looking for is Dungeon Clix (Wiz Kids). While the miniatures are pre-painted, my hubby has had a lot of fun making the dungeon terrain. The basic set comes with doors and treasures and such. The combat system is sweet. While the rules don't have a campaign system, I could see someone creating one. For example, you could use the money that you collect from a dungeon to advance--allowing you to start your hero at a higher level the next time. (This would work best for a cooperative game vs. the dungeon instead of a hero vs. hero game, I think.)

Just another idea!
Valerie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
statonv wrote:
Another suggestion that has *some* of the things you are looking for is Dungeon Clix (Wiz Kids). While the miniatures are pre-painted, my hubby has had a lot of fun making the dungeon terrain. The basic set comes with doors and treasures and such. The combat system is sweet. While the rules don't have a campaign system, I could see someone creating one. For example, you could use the money that you collect from a dungeon to advance--allowing you to start your hero at a higher level the next time. (This would work best for a cooperative game vs. the dungeon instead of a hero vs. hero game, I think.)

Just another idea!
Valerie

The game is called Mage Knight Dungeon. Great game and cheap to pick up now that Mage Knight has been cancelled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Noneyobusiness
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yes, MageKnightungeons is a great lil' dungeon crawl game. There are some problems with combat dials, and the sculpts/paint jobs aren't so hot, but it is a solid game. Going out of print was the best thing that ever happened to it since you can get it on ebay for dirt cheap (as has already been stated).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Anyways, I was wondering which game which is currently available that offers some of the same gameplay elements that Heroquest had.

Simple! The Dungeons and Dragons Boardgame (Hasbro) has virtually the same gameplay elements that Heroquest has. There are two expansions out for it - Forbidden Forest and Eternal Winter. It doesn't have the dungeon furniture that Heroquest had, however the miniatures and other components are very good. It has the character development and narrative elements you're after, and the game is a little better than Heroquest. I'm suprised this game isn't better known - probably because it is Hasbro Europe. The game and expansions all have entries here on Boardgamegeek.

Mage Knight Dungeons is also a lot of fun, if you don't mind the collecting aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Erik
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for all those replies!

Is this D&D boardgame still in print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe so - it was only published in 2002. I picked mine up from Leisure Games in London, and it's still listed on their website:

http://www.leisuregames.com/cgi-bin/sh000000.pl?REFPAGE=http...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.