Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: National Game Design Month -- NaGa DeMon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Game [+] Design [+] National [+] Month [+] NaGaDeMon [+] [View All]
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://nathanrussell.net/naga-demon/

Is anyone doing this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
"NaGa DeMon" sounds like the name of a Norwegian death metal band.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Working on it - have a couple of ideas. One very simple and the other quite complex. It might kick start me to get an idea completed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorta -- Many NaNo's are writing in peer groups, so it's not hard to join one to write a boardgame. Researching the Mythos for some AH scenarios is on my To Do list. If you can't find a NaNo Meetup group, let me know and I'll put you in touch with a fewllow NaNo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am NOW! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Nagas have nothing to do with creating games.

Except for the two I have chained up in my closet. *whip crack*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't even heard of this. I was more stressed about National Novel-Writing Month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I was going to do the writing one, but am so tempted to do the boardgame one now, better hurry up and decide as its November NOW.
Day 1: dont take to long in pondering wether to write a novel or design a boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tqboz wrote:
Day 1: dont take to long in pondering wether to write a novel or design a boardgame.

Amen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Velazquez
Mexico
Tijuana
Baja California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do it. Or fail spectacularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
Co-founder of Nevermore Games. Follow me on Twitter @bryanfischer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely doing this.

I've done NaNoWriMo before, this will be even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?
badge
Baah!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in... Will post progress here http://merrymeetinggames.tumblr.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Sperling
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I do this every month, but for the sake of playing along, I knocked together a game very quickly over the last two days. Now to see if it works... For those interested, you can find me on twitter.com/benny275 I post about game design and topics similarly related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Baur
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely going to try this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're on day 3, I've got my basic mechanic & theme down, along with a skeleton form of rules. (It's gonna be a move-and-trade game... OK, not exactly the most original thing in the world, but this is my first shot at designing a game and hopefully the way I'm designing it to work will be different enough to keep it interesting. And no, it doesn't take place in the Mediterranean).

In case anyone else might find it helpful, I've been using Mind42.com to keep my ideas in order - it's a pretty sweet mind mapping/brainstorming app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
I'm in. I've got my design. Gotta knock out the prototype for a play on Saturday, which means scrounging up money and convincing the wife to let me cut paper while we hang out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so my game is called Swing States, and it's a simple, fast-moving, lighthearted election game. I've got cards made up, and the mechanics are card-drafting and card/tile placement. Basically, each card represents a state, with a different number of electoral votes. Some states are firmly Dem or Republican, others lean one way or the other, and a few are Swing States.

Crads are laid out in three columns with five rows, with the swing states always in the middle of the columns. By moving cards around into different kinds of patterns, players may be able to collect cards from the grid and add them to their scoring piles. Players may also add cards from their hand onto the grid.

It's all very conceptual and fluid right now, as I'm iterating quickly to figure out what's fun about all this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Baur
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ender7 wrote:
It's all very conceptual and fluid right now, as I'm iterating quickly to figure out what's fun about all this...

Ha! I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm working on ideas that I think are interesting, but then I stop and think, "would this even be fun?" It's kind of hard to tell at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting in on this.

Life's hectic, and I've been getting buried under new responsibilities - with my girlfriend being a NaNo Rebel I decided to join the party so we can provide mutual support in trying to accomplish a Mostly Unreasonable Goal within 1 month.... Today I nailed the theme:

Scavengers

You play as a group of Scavengers. Rogues and bandits who brave The Wastes - which are the deadly remnants of ancient civilizations home to terrifying monsters, barbaric cults and demonic entities. You scour The Wastes for any objects of value to sell in the last hold of human society, the vertical metropolis of Narcyss.

In a stroke of bad luck, your airship crashed in the middle of The Wastes and your team needs to get out before night falls (no one can survive through the night)... While traversing the dangerous territory by foot and working together to escape - either by reaching Narcyss before midnight, using the valuable objects of salvage to repair your airship, or even befriending and hiring pirates to fly you home - you are, in a twist of competitive co-op game play, competing against the other players to be the survivor who brings home the greatest value of loot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do it. My inner designer has been fighting to be released for years. It's time to let him spread his wings -- even if it means hitting the ground a whole bunch of times along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
My first design to get off the drawing board was so badly flawed that my one and only playtest was cut short when my imaginary friends unanimously declared that it was broken and unplayable and got up and walked away from the table. Still progress, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
I'm getting in on this.

Life's hectic, and I've been getting buried under new responsibilities - with my girlfriend being a NaNo Rebel I decided to join the party so we can provide mutual support in trying to accomplish a Mostly Unreasonable Goal within 1 month.... Today I nailed the theme:

Scavengers

You play as a group of Scavengers. Rogues and bandits who brave The Wastes - which are the deadly remnants of ancient civilizations home to terrifying monsters, barbaric cults and demonic entities. You scour The Wastes for any objects of value to sell in the last hold of human society, the vertical metropolis of Narcyss.

In a stroke of bad luck, your airship crashed in the middle of The Wastes and your team needs to get out before night falls (no one can survive through the night)... While traversing the dangerous territory by foot and working together to escape - either by reaching Narcyss before midnight, using the valuable objects of salvage to repair your airship, or even befriending and hiring pirates to fly you home - you are, in a twist of competitive co-op game play, competing against the other players to be the survivor who brings home the greatest value of loot.

You should start a Work-In-Progress thread. This sounds neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Candi wrote:
I'm getting in on this.

Scavengers

You should start a Work-In-Progress thread. This sounds neat.

As requested here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7791303#7791303

Since it's for NaGa DeMon I'll make a point of keeping a day-to-day update (at the very least by editing the first post if nothing significant changed).

I'm already having fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth J. Mazor
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Most of my ideas feel too big. The only one that seems small enough for this is a card game based on compulsive hoarding/hoarders (folks who fill their homes with insane piles of stuff).

The core mechanics would be stacking (pile management) and something like queue management (not unlike Pecunia non Olet/Guillotine-- but not action card based).

The main problem I am having ... I don't know what sort of goal is thematically appropriate/fun.

I could simply glorify the hoarding -- Player who manages to cram the most stuff in without it all falling down or getting taken away by social services wins!
I could make the win about trading/selling stuff out of your piles -- (customers show up in the queue of objects) but letting things go from your piles seems counter to the whole compulsive (illogical) nature of it.

I think I need to spend some time over on the BGDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbierz wrote:
Most of my ideas feel too big. The only one that seems small enough for this is a card game based on compulsive hoarding/hoarders (folks who fill their homes with insane piles of stuff).

The core mechanics would be stacking (pile management) and something like queue management (not unlike Pecunia non Olet/Guillotine-- but not action card based).

The main problem I am having ... I don't know what sort of goal is thematically appropriate/fun.

I could simply glorify the hoarding -- Player who manages to cram the most stuff in without it all falling down or getting taken away by social services wins!
I could make the win about trading/selling stuff out of your piles -- (customers show up in the queue of objects) but letting things go from your piles seems counter to the whole compulsive (illogical) nature of it.

I think I need to spend some time over on the BGDF.

Two notes:

1) I'm taking on what has turned out to be a *HUGE* game (on the order of Mage Knight complexity). Not backing down, the point is to have fun - and the goal only requires you to play the game once. I'm hoping to get some testing in, but hey, cest la vie if my first test turns out to be my first game on Nov 30

2) Time limit. Have the game play for a certain duration then the winner is the greatest hoarder (player with most junk by volume in their house - perhaps each card has a "Volume" value which indicates its VP worth.

Food for thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.