Subject: Healing for AP, Playing Gas, Strange rooms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone uses an action to use medkit to heal, they may go from 3 max AP to 4 max AP. In other words, they just gained an AP. Do they get to use this newly acquired AP, or do they have to stay with the AP they had from the start?

I also noticed there were two rooms which didn't have a symbol on them and didn't have a red side, just two sides which were slightly different. What are those? We didn't know what to do with them so we ignored them.

Are you allowed to actually play gas cans? (It would be suspicious, but you may already be obviously infected.) It seemed somewhat pointless to ask, since you could keep them in your hand if you had something else to trade since you could just trade that. However I think it's still nice to know.

Also, is it correct to assume parasites have no effect outside of the "move a parasite" phase triggered in various ways? (This seems supported by the rules, but I'm just making sure.)

I also assume knowledge of the explore deck (besides top card) is not public. Does this mean you should shuffle the hive and open terminal without looking at the deck?

Are clarifications in general eventually going to be in the FAQ (if they are reasonable questions)? It seems easier (and more official) to search there rather than look through the rules forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
If someone uses an action to use medkit to heal, they may go from 3 max AP to 4 max AP. In other words, they just gained an AP. Do they get to use this newly acquired AP, or do they have to stay with the AP they had from the start?

I also noticed there were two rooms which didn't have a symbol on them and didn't have a red side, just two sides which were slightly different. What are those? We didn't know what to do with them so we ignored them.

Are you allowed to actually play gas cans? (It would be suspicious, but you may already be obviously infected.) It seemed somewhat pointless to ask, since you could keep them in your hand if you had something else to trade since you could just trade that. However I think it's still nice to know.

Also, is it correct to assume parasites have no effect outside of the "move a parasite" phase triggered in various ways? (This seems supported by the rules, but I'm just making sure.)

I also assume knowledge of the explore deck (besides top card) is not public. Does this mean you should shuffle the hive and open terminal without looking at the deck?

Are clarifications in general eventually going to be in the FAQ (if they are reasonable questions)? It seems easier (and more official) to search there rather than look through the rules forums.

1) Good one.
The first question actually did came up in one of the sessions I did last night. Let me give you the answer that will be formulated in the new edit of the rulesbook:
You may use the actionpoints you regained but ONLY when you healed at the start of your action phase. Otherwise you can only use the added health/AP in your next turn, which renders the timing of healing crucial.

2) these are non-searchable rooms.

3) what do you mean with "play gascans"? Play them opnely on the table?
If that is what you mean: no. Otherwise they would have had the orange card symbols.

4) Yes, they "only" completely slaughter some teams that play the game agressively

5) Absolutely. It should be a suprise when they will appear in the game/station.

6) Yes. But more importingly, they will as good as possible be all covered in the new rules edit that will of course be posted here on BGG.
This should be finished in just a few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ausloosd wrote:
You may use the actionpoints you regained but ONLY when you healed at the start of your action phase. Otherwise you can only use the added health/AP in your next turn, which renders the timing of healing crucial.

When does the start of a player's action phase ends ?

When a player uses his first action point, is it still considered as the start of his action phase ? Or does the start of his action phase end as soon as he uses his first action point (and so the AP he would regain using the Sick Bay function with his first AP won't be available during his current turn) ?

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
King Bing wrote:
ausloosd wrote:

When does the start of a player's action phase ends ?

When a player uses his first action point, is it still considered as the start of his action phase ? Or does the start of his action phase end as soon as he uses his first action point (and so the AP he would regain using the Sick Bay function with his first AP won't be available during his current turn) ?

Thanks !

Well, to put it more simply: if a player has spend an action healing (though the sicbay or terminal) he can immediately take advantage of his regained health. If he first attacked for example a parasite along the way to the sick bay and thus spend an AP before healing up he may only use the regained health during his next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David!

One quick question about parasites. When they move for a reason that is NOT on the parasite phase do they still cause damage?

Example: I enter a room with a parasite logo, or i search a red room. The parasite enters the board on a room with a character. Does he get hurt then or does the parasite just hide out until it is it's turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
Thanks David!

One quick question about parasites. When they move for a reason that is NOT on the parasite phase do they still cause damage?

Example: I enter a room with a parasite logo, or i search a red room. The parasite enters the board on a room with a character. Does he get hurt then or does the parasite just hide out until it is it's turn?

It will hide and only move/attack during the parasite phase.
these creatures lurk in the dark until they find the perfect opportunity to strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Blome
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Special Agent Simon - Essen 2015
mb
ausloosd wrote:

Well, to put it more simply: if a player has spend an action healing (though the sicbay or terminal) he can immediately take advantage of his regained health. If he first attacked for example a parasite along the way to the terminal and thus spend an AP before healing up he may only use the regained health during his next turn.

Since when does the terminal offer the healing of a character?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 99% percent sure this is a typo. I think he meant to say medpac the first time, and then sick bay the second time.

I think I think for the sake of simplicity I will keep playing where you can heal your actions at any time, there is much less question on what was acceptable and not, plus it doesn't seem a crucial point anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...typo.
Already corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, why the distinction about getting the AP back only if you heal at the beginning of the turn?

It adds (very slightly, of course, but still) to the complexity of the game -- now healing sometimes gives you an AP and sometimes doesn't, and for a somewhat arbitrary reason -- but I don't see that it makes anything better. Would it really be worse just to always get the AP or never get the AP? I'm not a fan of increasing the number of things to remember or think about if it doesn't add any benefit.

Edit: Thinking about it more, I think "always gain an AP" is the most sensible choice. If I remember correctly, the First Aid Kit does not cost an AP, implying that it can be played on another player's turn (can it? I don't see anything in the rules one way or another.) Therefore "never gain an AP for healing" would yield the strange result that if you play the First Aid Kit at the very end of the previous player's turn, you end up with an extra AP because you are healed by the time your turn begins, but if you play it at the beginning of your turn, you don't, because you stick with the AP you got at the beginning of your turn. "Always gain an AP" yields the same result in both cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.