Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so that you know: Diagonal counts as adjacent... !

Martijn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm still not quite sure about the placement of a piece "behind" a pawn. The rules say , "You must place all other pieces on a free space right behind one of your own pawns." Does the new piece have to be lined up vertically totally behind a pawn (orthographically)? Or can the new piece be one row back diagonally "behind" a pawn to the right or left without another pawn being directly in front of it?

For that matter, when you place a new pawn, does it have to be orthographically aligned left or right to a pawn already on the board or can it be placed diagonally left or right of the pawn already on the board--either diagonally one row ahead or diagonally one row behind?

(I probably could have asked these questions using less words.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Althuizen
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
badge
@m_a_r_t_ij_n
mbmbmbmbmb
BobKo wrote:
I'm still not quite sure about the placement of a piece "behind" a pawn. The rules say , "You must place all other pieces on a free space right behind one of your own pawns." Does the new piece have to be lined up vertically totally behind a pawn (orthographically)? Or can the new piece be one row back diagonally "behind" a pawn to the right or left without another pawn being directly in front of it?

For that matter, when you place a new pawn, does it have to be orthographically aligned left or right to a pawn already on the board or can it be placed diagonally left or right of the pawn already on the board--either diagonally one row ahead or diagonally one row behind?

(I probably could have asked these questions using less words.)

Pawns have to be placed directly left or right of other pawns. Other pieces must be placed directly behind a pawn. So all orthogonally and directly adjacent (no other pieces in between).

Cheers,
Martijn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

it might a little bit easier to remember how pieces are placed by using the following reasoning:

"Schachen" is still meant to be (the fun part of) chess, so...

In regular chess the pawns are starting side-by-side - so if you want to bring a new pawn into play it must be placed shoulder-to-shoulder with a pawn already in play. Directly right or left of the pawn already in play.

In regular chess all the strong pieces are sort of blocked at the start of the game - blocked by a pawn right in front of them. The same applies in "Schachen" - if you want to place a new piece (different from a pawn) it must be placed in such a way, that the space directly in front of it is occupied by one of your pawns already in play.

I hope this makes it a little bit easier to understand.

If all fails - take a look at the BGG video (see game entry) - we do show the placing of pieces there.

Best Regards
Heinrich

Note: Just to make it crystal clear - note, that the rules for MOVING a piece are quite different from the rules for PLACING a new piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. I got it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.