Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob C
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opinions differed during a recent game of Mansions of Madness. Neither a quick look on the forums nor a detailed read of the FAQ provided satisfaction to all parties involved.

How have other players interpreted the following situations?

1) Can monsters brought into play on the Keepers turn be moved and participate in attacks on the same turn. The specific situation in our game was where the Keeper (me) killed three Cultists to summon a Shoggoth which then moved and attacked a nearby Investigator. The player of said Investigator was...displeased...that the monster could be brought into play and then immediately move and attack him.

2) Can you use the Panic trauma to cause an Investigator to run toward a monster. The same Investigator as the above situation ran from the Shoggoth and into a room with a Hound. He failed his Will check and took a Horror at which point the 'Panic' Trauma (Keeper can move the investigator three spaces) was played on him and the Keeper ran him back into the room with the Shoggoth. The argument was that even panicked the Investigator wouldn't run towards a bigger, known threat.

Any thought or opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) if you've got the threat then I don't see the problem...this isn't magic, there is no summoning sickness...

2) yes...thematically, why would someone in a panic make any sort of logical decision...the whole reason not to panic is to keep a clear head and make good decisions...I had a similar situation come up...I had a shoggoth in a room with an investigator, and I moved the shoggoth out of the room, and then back in, in order to cause a horror check...the investigator got mad at my move and said it was stupid and a broken mechanic...I just shrugged it off, but why couldn't you imagine your investigator hiding a bit from the shoggoth, and when it left the room you stand up from behind the desk and accidentally knocked a book off alerting the shoggoth to your presence....if it falls in line with the rules, it is up to you to use your imagination to make thematic sense...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TarquiniusX wrote:
1) Can monsters brought into play on the Keepers turn be moved and participate in attacks on the same turn. The specific situation in our game was where the Keeper (me) killed three Cultists to summon a Shoggoth which then moved and attacked a nearby Investigator. The player of said Investigator was...displeased...that the monster could be brought into play and then immediately move and attack him.

If the monster comes into play via Keeper Action cards and you have Threat left to use another Action to move the monster, then you can move it. And then attack during the Monster Attack step. Monsters from Event cards cannot act on the turn they appear as it is the last thing during the Keeper's turn.

Quote:
2) Can you use the Panic trauma to cause an Investigator to run toward a monster. The same Investigator as the above situation ran from the Shoggoth and into a room with a Hound. He failed his Will check and took a Horror at which point the 'Panic' Trauma (Keeper can move the investigator three spaces) was played on him and the Keeper ran him back into the room with the Shoggoth. The argument was that even panicked the Investigator wouldn't run towards a bigger, known threat.

Yes, it's totally up to the Keeper where to move the investigator to (barring through Locked doors). Maybe he went into a Panic because of what one of the other investigators did and decided they were the ones to avoid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beakley
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opinion: both moves were brutal and awesome. Keep up the good work. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonVeederVeld wrote:
1)...I had a shoggoth in a room with an investigator, and I moved the shoggoth out of the room, and then back in, in order to cause a horror check...the investigator got mad at my move and said it was stupid and a broken mechanic...I just shrugged it off, but why couldn't you imagine your investigator hiding a bit from the shoggoth, and when it left the room you stand up from behind the desk and accidentally knocked a book off alerting the shoggoth to your presence....if it falls in line with the rules, it is up to you to use your imagination to make thematic sense...

Page 14 of the rulebook
If a monster leaves a room and then re-enters it on the same turn, he does not need to make a horror test against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nicola Zee wrote:

Page 14 of the rulebook
If a monster leaves a room and then re-enters it on the same turn, he does not need to make a horror test against it.

thanks for that....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob C
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your comments.

We've only played a few times and I've been the Keeper each time. I like to win, but I don't want to win because of a misinterpretation of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Poon
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
TarquiniusX wrote:
Thank you all for your comments.

We've only played a few times and I've been the Keeper each time. I like to win, but I don't want to win because of a misinterpretation of the rules.

I've done that too.

Although I've also lost even giving myself an unfair advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.