Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The topic is only a suggestion for consideration, as the learning curve for determining ranges for SMG can be a bit to understand at first, so this is not a suggestion meant to complicate learning the base system. With that in mind, I could certainly see a gameplay benefit come from increasing the values for the terrain-square modifiers when playing Day of Days size scenarios.

As an idea, value modifiers could be doubled or tripled in "costs".

Modified "overlays" could even be created to change the values to match each numbered square to keep things tiddy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head as an alternative, would it work just as well to alter the sighting and shooting numbers for the soldiers? Since those vary from man to man, regardless of scenario or map size, you're changing the most flexible variable.

To be consistent, you might reduce everything (so guys don't suddenly walk a lot faster, relative to their ability to see or shoot). But if everyone is "1/3 shorter" or even 1/2...

This would keep all your terrain mods consistent for maps of any size.

I don't think you'd want to reduce things like draw cards, hold cards, rally, etc. Sort of hate to think about reducing grenades and close range too, but still...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, perhaps the Soldier card values would be the easiest thing to alter, considering the number of Soldiers vs. the number of terrain squares that would/could need modding.

The Soldier cards are unique though, compared to the terrain squares.

It is the LOOK, SHOOT, and perhaps MOVE values that could be altered in this way for (small) map size playability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

I guess we're not entirely connected-- I'm not talking about manufacturing an alteration, but just doing some math on the fly if needed.
Like the obvious "cut in half, round up" that you could do with those Soldier card values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would work Kevin, though the last thing I want to do in my head is more math.

The playtesting for SMG seems to have used an overlay system while the game was being worked up (making up modified overlays/values for the DoD squares wouldn't be that much work). Some might consider having to place them on the map a hassle, but doing multiple math computations for Action resolutions [in my head] I know will lead to even more issues:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I might have a workable method here which won't require physically changing the map's Action values. I'll call the idea "Triple-play" (for quick reference).

Here's what the idea would involve: All map values shown for the game's squares would be tripled when calculating SHOOT, LOOK, MOVE, & HIDE ranges, but the squares themselves along the LoS path would not be counted. So for example, a square that shows a -1 SHOOT value now, would be counted as -3, but the square itself would not be added to the range, and a square with a -2 LOOK value now, would be tripled to -6, but the square itself not counted.

The end result of tripling the map's Action modifiers for calculations should allow the terrain to play a bigger role when playing on small-size maps (like those in Day of Days). An added benefit of this idea (despite having to remember to triple the terrain values) is the elimination of having to count squares in any LoS calculation, which can help simplify this bit of the process. Variations on the theme, like trying a "Double-play" version, or maybe just multiplying certain Action modifiers instead of all of them might end up working better.

None of this has been play-tested yet, but I think something along this line might benefit gameplay on the small DoD-size maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, I believe it works OK for what it is a small skirmish, if you do want to change the map scale then count double for range and terrain modifiers except move. That would be the same as doubling the map. The gen2 shoot action cards will result in more pinning and then everything changes.

Extra map tiles are the answer. A kit including just landmark story cards, terrain and some borders would be nice. The terrain is designed as a large set up was demonstrated from day 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerry, my thinking is that this might help give Day of Days more legs.

I've ordered the Road to Carentan expansion, but there's been a need for more playability out of the original set, and it's been expressed that some owners of DoD just can't afford all the extras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.