11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » West

Subject: PORTLAND BGGERS! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stacy Paylor
msg tools
Help!!!
I was a victim of a car prowl in the wee early hours of 10/30/11 in SE Portland. They broke my car window and stole a bag of my most played games. If you happen to see someone selling these locally please contact me.
Thanks.
Age of Empires III (With Jambo and two expansions in the box as well)
Innovation (with it's expansion in the Innovation box)
Roma (with the expansion in the box)
Alien Frontiers
Nexus Ops
I think I have a good shot at getting these back because there's a pretty limited market for us gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had a bag sitting in plain view in your car that's more likely the cause of the break in than any games in the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks, I hope you get them back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad news indeed, Stacy.

Even more sad - it's highly likely the thief will simply trash your games. It takes pretty niche knowledge to know boardgames might have some sale value.

But if I happen to see them on craigslist - I'll let you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacy Paylor
msg tools
Got my games back. They listed them on Craigslist and I met with someone to "buy" them. All of them are back, the boxes are slightly worse for wear, but I think everything is still complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to hear some more detail here. Did you have anyone with you? was there a confrontation? Good to hear you got them back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be a criminal case? Anyone who'd break into a car to steal games, of all things, hasn't been in jail long enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacy Paylor
msg tools
So, I tried getting the police involved, but had a very hard time trying to get in touch with the appropriate task force and then most of Portland's East Precinct had been called to downtown due to Occupy Portland.
I emailed back and forth with the craigslist ad and lied to them saying I was interested in the games, bought a disposable cell phone to call them with and met them/her at a Starbucks. A girl brought in my games, in the Ikea bag they were taken from my car in and sat down with some guy. I think he was there to make sure there weren't any police and then called to have her come in. She sat down with him and after I introduced myself he left. I then haggled with her a bit about the price, got out my phone to "research" these strange games and took her picture. She asked if I had taken her picture and I said yes and that these were my games and that as far as I was concerned she owed me $230 for a broken window. She more or less walked away at that point while I followed, berating her over stealing stuff. I was contacted by the police today and they will be trying to find her and may have me go on the news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stacy has more balls than I do. Well played, Stacy.

FWIW - I doubt the absence of Occupy Portland going on would have made the police any more helpful. They're generally less than worthless when it comes to petty theft and vandalism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon C
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, that is impressive. I'm glad to hear you found the games and got them back all without any physical altercation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aug_aug
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo! Well played!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.