Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
George, Tim, Drew, Ken

By this time Tikal was "almost done", which meant that we had plenty of time for another Knizia game. George pulled out Auf Heller und Pfennig, and after a quick explanation of what each tile does, we went at it.

For those who have never played this one, Auf Heller und Pfennig is a pretty abstract representation of a medieval marketplace. During the game's three rounds, players take turns drawing and laying down tiles, or instead placing the stalls from which they hawk their wares. Most tiles represent a person at the market, and show either a positive value (for example, a housewife coming to shop) or a negative value (such as a thief looking for something to steal). Other tiles include the Evil Eye, which negates positive-numbered tiles, Gold, which doubles, and Fire, which cuts its row and column in half. When the board is filled up, the round ends, and the profit (or loss) of each stall is calculated based on the values and modifiers of the tiles in its row and column.

The first round ended with Tim in the lead and George trailing, but by the end of the second round things had changed. Everyone had dogpiled Tim, causing his score to drop considerably, while George surged ahead. Drew and I remained mired in the middle throughout. When the last round ended, everybody was at the same level as before, but George emerged as the clear victor while the rest of us were very nearly tied for second.

George: 193, Tim: 153, Drew: 154, Ken: 155

Rating: 6 I like this, but it's a bit abstract. It's worth noting, however that it does play pretty well as a two-player game.

<em>Drew: I would enjoy this more if the tile drawing was not so random, but the play of the tiles is enormous fun.</em>

<em>George: reiner reiner Reiner Reiner REINER! REINER!</em>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.